Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Miami holds a news conference to introduce an OC?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Miami holds a news conference to introduce an OC?
Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:27AM

Does anyone else see this as a desperate attempt to get people on board with what they're trying to do? They didn't even hold a news conference for Nolan, and he's got much more recognition power than Doughball or whatever his name is.

I hope to god that my feeling about this turns out to be completely unfounded.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Miami holds a news conference to introduce an OC?
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 20, 2011 08:04AM

I don't think it's a desperate attempt. I is obvious that Daboll (is that right?) is not a house hold name and the Phins know that the fans are quite upset. So it makes sense to introduce him.
I'll say this. Every coach had to get a start somewhere. Most fail at the first couple jobs. I can't say this guy failed as there wasn't much to work with in Cleveland and he was there only a short time.
He does seem to have good credentials, so let's give him a chance.

No doubt he wants a good QB. I look for that to happen somehow.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: January 20, 2011 08:19AM

Don't really have much choice but to pull for the guy but....

Wasn't he just fired from a worse Offensive team than us? How does that qualify one for this job?

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 20, 2011 08:24AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 08:28AM

BNF I usually enjoy what you have to say but can you try writing in lines that span the page instead of this haiku or whatever you are going for? It's annoying.

As for Daboll, how can the players take him seriously when he just ran an offense that was worse than the one he is trying to "fix"? Really an uninspired hire---they should have taken a position coach from a dynamic offense like the saints or colts or even pats and promoted him instead of recycling this guy

Date: January 20, 2011 08:49AM

Opps. Sorry. I get too happy with the return / enter key

I guess. But I'll up the meds and be

OK.

Maybe.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 20, 2011 08:52AM

He's qualified in exactly the same way Ched Henne is qualified to be one of our quarterbacks.

He simply can't be held soley accountable for the errors of his past regime...of which (for the record) he was absolutely a part.

Daboll has a good resume and he has some good people in his corner...people that have no reason to lie about him by the way because doing so does not benefit them in any way.

He learned from Bill Belichik and has experience in other systems such as Paul Brown's, Bill Parcells' and a variation of those under Mangini, as well as coaching on both sides of the ball. He utilizes aspecs of the west coast offense as well so he's adapted his style over time with proven elements. He's young, enthusiastic, energetic, motivating, and seems to have a genuine desire to win and improve. He's got a history of working with quarterbacks and wants to run a system that is friendly to them while employing lots of hands on coaching to make them better.

Just because his system was not very sucessful in Cleveland with inferior players and a hostile head coach does not mean that he will be unsucessful in Miami.

Coaches are not sucessful at every stop, especially when they are young...but good one's eventually are, usually in their second of third opportunity.

Witness Bill Belichik...terrible in Clevaland, GREAT in New England. Don Shula, Very good in Balitmore, A LEGEND in Miami.

Give the guy a chance.

Date: January 20, 2011 09:09AM

Just because Daboll sucked in the past doesn't mean he'll suck in the future.

I mean we all know women change when you marry them.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 09:32AM

Odenn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone else see this as a desperate attempt
> to get people on board with what they're trying to
> do? They didn't even hold a news conference for
> Nolan, and he's got much more recognition power
> than Doughball or whatever his name is.
>
> I hope to god that my feeling about this turns out
> to be completely unfounded.

Ireland and Mike Dee, have hinted at major changes coming to the organization. The whole secret cloak, is going to be taken off, Ross and Dee want to get the community more involved with the team and increase fan support, it sure sounds like they are going to change the press relationship with the organization. That hasnt been the same since Huizenga moved the press box, after being bashed over the dismantling of the Marlins. Since those days, the Miami DOlphins have had a contentious relationship with the press to say the least.
Put it this way Odenn, I would not be surprised to hear that the Miami Dolphins are the next team on Hard Knocks... I hope the changes are for the better, and the press takes the new found openess in the organization serious, and do not take advantage to write garbage pieces... Lets see, either way, it should be an interesting 6-9 months

Date: January 20, 2011 10:26AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Just because Daboll sucked in the past doesn't
> mean he'll suck in the future.
>

You are right BNF, even Bellichik sucked in Cleveland... DOnt hold it against Daboll to bad

Date: January 20, 2011 10:45AM

Before Billy Goat got hooked-up with the spy satellites
and his stash of remote viewing accessories he was CRAP.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 10:47AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Just because Daboll sucked in the past doesn't
> mean he'll suck in the future.
>

this is the team's present philosophy, apparently.
switch Daboll with "sporano" "ireland" "henne" etc and we've cracked the code.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 11:01AM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 20, 2011 11:08AM

I agree, that it is a bit of desperation.

The very first comment out of Jeff Ireland's mouth was "guys, you know we dont do things like this but we felt it was neccessary."

Of course it is desperation, the backfire on this hire has been outrageous. The Dolphins FO has gotten *murdered* over hiring Day-bull.

But, I honestly dont mind the hire. I would have rather had him than Henning or Chris Palmer....or "Chud".

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: January 20, 2011 11:23AM

The part of the press conference that I found interesting, was when Daboll, described the most important attributes he wants in a QB, Accuracy was number 1, Pocket presence, leadership, and ability to have success on third down when it counts..

THe first 2 surely dont describe Cam Newton or Henne at this point and probably the first 3 for Henne....
Not sure what to think about who this guy would like as a QB in Miami. But he surely better find one, or his tenure will be short

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 11:40AM

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: January 20, 2011 11:44AM

In other words, they are trying to sweep that entire snafu under the rug, and put lipstick on the pig that is the FO situation.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 20, 2011 11:52AM

Quote:

"I don't think that the press conference was held because they felt they were getting bad press about the hiring, in fact I think the notion that they were getting *murdered* over the hire is a gross exaggeration."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Well, you have your opinion, and I have mine. I like the Day-bull hiring.....but I think the FO did this out of desperation. It is my opinion.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 20, 2011 11:57AM

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 20, 2011 12:01PM

Desperation is way to strong a word. This was a smart move as the fans needed to know who he is and why the choice.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter as with the CBA not being signed we won't get that QB we want and we will be lucky if we see much improvement. That is unless we build a great OL and get some sort of upgrade in QB.

My prediction is that Daboll will be blasted continuously on the chat board even though it won't be his fault.
Shame, but that is what will happen.
Patience is so thin that no decision will be any good unless we win the division.

Looking at the Jets and Patriots it becomes very obvious that a complete team should be the priority. Why? Because that is what allows a team to trade older players for draft choices and keep the team competitive enough to challenge every year.

Now if we do draft a QB at 15 or even 7 or 8 you know that everyone here will be bitching that It's a waisted pick as the best QBs will be gone.
Just like the bitching when we passed on Quinn. Now had we drafted Quinn as many here wanted, I can hear the bitching on how dumb a pick it was.
Bottom line is they should not waist a 1st round pick on a gamble until the team is built and ready for a trade up move.

Date: January 20, 2011 12:27PM

Can’t tell if Daboll is filled with radiant football luminosity or an ellipsoid vacuum between the ears.

So far he seems like he could be “on the rise” (unless that's helium I'm detecting).

If he is on the rise -- it’s about time we found some young coaching talent in Dolphinland.

Whatever. Just feed the monkey.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.