HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Off season plan
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Off season plan
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: January 18, 2011 04:31PM

I am posting my ideas for this offseason.

Needs:

Center: Keep Berger, he is cheap and a good backup. Draft Kris O'Dowd from USC in the third round.

Guards: Keep Garner, versatile depth. Keep Jerry, didn't play much last year and should benefit from the off season. Only resign Incognito to a reasonable salary for an above average guard, he was the best interior lineman last season. If unable to do this then break the bank on Mankins or sign a quality starter (Nicks) to a moderate deal.

Running Back: Dump Ronnie and Ricky. Draft Ingram in the first round. Sign a back up to cheap deal or give sheets and hilliard a chance.

Wide Receiver and Tight End: Add speed and pass catching ability to each position in the fourth and fifth rounds. Not sure on best available prospects for these rounds.

Free Saftey: Let Jones and Clemons battle it out. Both are very young and will continue to improve.

Pass Rusher: Resign Moses. Possibly add another for competition through FA or very late in the draft.

ST: Sign quality special teams players. They are obviously worth a few roster spots, just remember the first Pats and Jets games.

Quarterback: resign Pennington for an incentive laden contract. Add VY through free agency. Between the Chads and VY, someone will hopefully step up with an improved offense. If not then drafting an NFL ready QB becomes first priority next off season.

Resign Soliai and McDaniels for the D-line.

What do you guys think? I know some people really don't want VY and some people really want a franchise QB but I just don't see one in this draft. I don't like any of the prospects very much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off season plan
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 18, 2011 05:43PM

All of you guys talking about free agency are funny...there isn't going to be any free agency this year.

The facts are that we are stuck with the team we have right now.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:09PM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Center: Keep Berger, he is cheap and a good
> backup. Draft Kris O'Dowd from USC in the third
> round.
Incognito seems better suited to Center, if we keep him.

>
> Guards: Keep Garner, versatile depth. Keep
> Jerry, didn't play much last year and should
> benefit from the off season. Only resign
> Incognito to a reasonable salary for an above
> average guard, he was the best interior lineman
> last season. If unable to do this then break the
> bank on Mankins or sign a quality starter (Nicks)
> to a moderate deal.
Guards are easier to come by than Centers both in FA and the draft. So, the status of Incognito could play a huge role here.

>
> Running Back: Dump Ronnie and Ricky. Draft
> Ingram in the first round. Sign a back up to
> cheap deal or give sheets and hilliard a chance.
I don't see us drafting a RB in the 1st round. It's definitely a point of need, but RBs can be had in FA or later rounds. We also will still have Cobbs, along with Hilliard and Sheets.

> Wide Receiver and Tight End: Add speed and pass
> catching ability to each position in the fourth
> and fifth rounds. Not sure on best available
> prospects for these rounds.
If we don't pick a QB in the 1st round, then I say we pick a Center OR a TE. A speed WR would be my 4th choice.

> Free Saftey: Let Jones and Clemons battle it out.
> Both are very young and will continue to
> improve.
Agreed. This is no longer a point of need. Nolan has done wonders for our secondary.

> Pass Rusher: Resign Moses. Possibly add another
> for competition through FA or very late in the
> draft.
We need a better backup WOLB. After Wake there's a big dropoff. I was disappointed we let Charlie Anderson go. Moses is average at best. We can pick up someone as a FA.

> ST: Sign quality special teams players. They are
> obviously worth a few roster spots, just remember
> the first Pats and Jets games.
Sheets, if healthy, could take over as our PR. Clemons appeared to be coming on late at KR. Otherwise, we dumped a few good ST players last year. Not sure who we can pick up.

> Quarterback: resign Pennington for an incentive
> laden contract. Add VY through free agency.
> Between the Chads and VY, someone will hopefully
> step up with an improved offense. If not then
> drafting an NFL ready QB becomes first priority
> next off season.
I'm sorry, but Penny is done. He's MORE fragile than glass. VY is a headcase. I'd rather take Volek to fill our #3 and take our chances with a rookie.

> Resign Soliai and McDaniels for the D-line.
Soliai, absolutely!! McDaniels, maybe. Remember, Odrick will be coming back, and we still have Merling, Starks, and Langford. McDaniels will find himself in a crowd, which means we may just let him walk.

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: January 18, 2011 08:34PM

Ken Wrote:
> All of you guys talking about free agency are
> funny...there isn't going to be any free agency
> this year.
>
> The facts are that we are stuck with the team we
> have right now.

I think it's just for the sake of discussion in case an agreement is reached, you never know...

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: January 18, 2011 11:27PM

I like some of your plan, however I am the big supporter of trading down this year, to get back our second round pick, and use the first two pick's on Guard and T or two G.

I would then use third round on the other g, or T. then 4th on a speed wr prospect as return man, 5th on a TE, trade out of 6th, and 7th is possibly for next years draft, to stock up picks, hell I would try everything to trade out of the first round this year if possible.

I think we will be trading down with Seattle for their pick, so they can go overspend on a QB.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:08AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 19, 2011 06:02AM

Ken Wrote:
> All of you guys talking about free agency are
> funny...there isn't going to be any free agency
> this year.
>
> The facts are that we are stuck with the team we
> have right now.

There will be a FA period (has to be for some of the reasons Tstamper listed above) just not sure of when and how long it will last. The thing that sucks is if it's after the draft, we won't really know what can be fixed via the draft or FAs kinda forcing our hand in the draft.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: January 19, 2011 08:43AM

Trading down into the back of the first and picking up a second is good idea. This draft is ridiculously top heavy. IF thats the case then I would advocate drafting the RB from Illinois, Leshore i think is his name, in the first and picking up lineman in the second and third. Then adding a QB, TE, WR in the rest of the draft.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: January 19, 2011 09:04AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.