HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          seeing the light
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
seeing the light
Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: January 18, 2011 10:19AM

To everyone who all year long have been claiming the NFL is a rigged joke.

I'm starting to believe, i tried to live in doubt for so long, but im starting to get the picture. I said 2 weeks ago that if the Packers and Jets make the super bowl that i will be a full believer.

That is because the NFL has basically told us this all year long that they will be the super bowl teams this year.

Between Rex Ryan being given star treatment all year, and the media riding the wings of Rodgers in Green Bay. That should have been obvious enough.

But the biggest most blatant tell the NFL gave us has to be Lombardi playing on Broadway.

On the other hand if only one or neither of these two teams make it, i will admit that im wrong, but lets not be blindsided by this if it does happen.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: seeing the light
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 18, 2011 11:07AM

I'm not naive enough to think that a game has never been fixed by player or refes, but to say that there is a plot to assure that certain teams get into the Superbowl is far fetched.

First, the league does not have to be fixed. There is plenty of money to go around. Pro Football is the leading pro sport now and will remain that way.

All it would take to change that is if the league got caught in that kind of scandal. The press would just love that. Soooo not!!thumbs down

I hate the Jets but we all know the New York Media loves their teams and become so obnoxious that we all get disgusted. Favoritism? Yup!

That's why we hate them.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: January 18, 2011 11:18AM

I'd say there was probably a ton of money on the patriots to win, so guess who won Sunday? The bookies. When there is that much money, you can sway the game anyway you would like. The jets def had more fire to win than the pats, but the media has said all year the the jets were the team. Soooo I'm not surprised.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 18, 2011 11:29AM

Can you please give one example of a play or call that you seriously thought was rigged, or done on purpose to throw any game this last weekend? And what in the hell does a Broadway play have to do with anything?........AT ALL?

Posted by: sconigli ()
Date: January 18, 2011 11:35AM

The numerous non calls by the refs when the Jets were literally holding down the Patriot's receivers. There was also a helmet-helmet hit that wasnt called. It isnt hard to see how the NFL can engineer exactly what they want by dictating the plan to the refs.

You want to make some easy money? Bet on the Jets (+350) to win the whole thing. It was written before day 1.

Date: January 18, 2011 11:41AM

So out of all these Refs that are in on the conspiricy, not one has ever come clean in a tell all book or on 60 Mins? Like Leon said, to believe that the NFL would "instruct" Refs to blow calls at the risk of getting caught is ludicriss.

Date: January 18, 2011 11:49AM

I think it is a fairly recent phenomenon. The integrity of the game has been steadily compromised over the last 10-15 years or so.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 18, 2011 12:03PM

The rules have compromised the game, not the Refs. I don't even know what pass interference is any more. Or defencive holding, or this asinine helmet to helmet rule, or unsportsmanlike conduct, or excessive celebration or any of the other ridiculous rules of today.

Date: January 18, 2011 12:17PM

Can someone please explain what exactly the NFL would have to gain by the Jets being in the Superbowl? I get the ratings would be a little higher, but to the best of my knowledge they don't jack up the charges for commercials based on the teams in it. So agian, with everything to lose, what exactly are they gaining?

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 18, 2011 12:27PM

sconigli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The numerous non calls by the refs when the Jets
> were literally holding down the Patriot's
> receivers. There was also a helmet-helmet hit that
> wasnt called. It isnt hard to see how the NFL can
> engineer exactly what they want by dictating the
> plan to the refs.

Wow. This is seriously laughable. After the fraud Pats getting EVERY conceivable call over the last number of years how can anyone POSSIBLY bitch about that???

Seriously, the biggest example of the NFL fraud is unquestionably the Pats. It’s not even close. Now how do those gifted SB trophies look now?

Pretty tainted and dull.

LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 12:28PM by BigNastyFish.

Date: January 18, 2011 12:29PM

The league wanted the pats to win in 2001 because of the whole patriotic theme. Ergo, they won.

The league wanted the jets, not the pats, to win this year. Ergo, they win.

Date: January 18, 2011 12:32PM

OK. Just as long as you're not trying to say the Pats actually deserved something.

BTW, they got their asses beat by the Jets. End of story. If (???) there was a "fix" you don't have to look any further than Brady.

He was obviously laying down IMO.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:41AM

dolfan1 Wrote:
> I'd say there was probably a ton of money on the
> patriots to win, so guess who won Sunday? The
> bookies. When there is that much money, you can
> sway the game anyway you would like. The jets def
> had more fire to win than the pats, but the media
> has said all year the the jets were the team.
> Soooo I'm not surprised.

Oh, you're not surprised?

You've been saying ALL SEASON LONG that the Pats we're going to win it all. Yep, they're going to run the table and just win it all so the other teams may as well not even show up to the game. If I went back I could probably count over 100 posts where you declared the superiority of the Pats organization in every way, shape, and form. They have stockpiled draft picks for years to come, and as long as Brady and his flowing locks of transplanted hair are behind center, they're just going to win the SB year after year after year.

That's what you've been posting for months. But now that they actually had their asses handed to them by the foot-sniffers, you're NOT surprised.

Okay. confused smiley

Date: January 19, 2011 05:59AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 19, 2011 06:01AM

JC Wrote:
> dolfan1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'd say there was probably a ton of money on
> the
> > patriots to win, so guess who won Sunday? The
> > bookies. When there is that much money, you can
> > sway the game anyway you would like. The jets
> def
> > had more fire to win than the pats, but the
> media
> > has said all year the the jets were the team.
> > Soooo I'm not surprised.
>
>
> Oh, you're not surprised?
>
> You've been saying ALL SEASON LONG that the Pats
> we're going to win it all. Yep, they're going to
> run the table and just win it all so the other
> teams may as well not even show up to the game.
> If I went back I could probably count over 100
> posts where you declared the superiority of the
> Pats organization in every way, shape, and form.
> They have stockpiled draft picks for years to
> come, and as long as Brady and his flowing locks
> of transplanted hair are behind center, they're
> just going to win the SB year after year after
> year.
>
> That's what you've been posting for months. But
> now that they actually had their asses handed to
> them by the foot-sniffers, you're NOT surprised.
>
> Okay. confused smiley

I think his agent asked him not to be surprised.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 19, 2011 09:45AM

Hey. In that game, I was rooting for the Jets (so they would have to win the AFC championship on the road and thus both would be out).

When I saw it, from my perspective, there were more non-calls favoring the Pats than anything.

On one drive when the Jets were in the red zone at about the 5 yard line and Sanchez faded right to pass, a NE defender clipped the Jets Oline left tackle right in the back of the leg and no call. That was third down. The play failed. A penalty would have given the Jets a new set of downs. As it was, they had to settle for a field goal.

So, it depends on who you are rooting for and what you see.

But I think a good point was made by whoever criticized the Pansies rules we have now (by the way that clip would have been called in 1958).

The most ridiculous is not leading with the helmet. For Chrissakes, leading with the helmet is more likely to hurt the guy that does it than the guy who is hit. But the thing is, that it is often NOT called and when it IS CALLED it turns out that the replay shows it was a shoulder hit and not a helmet hit.

It's all screwed up. No wonder that there are so many non-calls and wrong calls.

Date: January 19, 2011 10:04AM

JC Wrote:
> dolfan1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'd say there was probably a ton of money on
> the
> > patriots to win, so guess who won Sunday? The
> > bookies. When there is that much money, you can
> > sway the game anyway you would like. The jets
> def
> > had more fire to win than the pats, but the
> media
> > has said all year the the jets were the team.
> > Soooo I'm not surprised.
>
>
> Oh, you're not surprised?
>
> You've been saying ALL SEASON LONG that the Pats
> we're going to win it all. Yep, they're going to
> run the table and just win it all so the other
> teams may as well not even show up to the game.
> If I went back I could probably count over 100
> posts where you declared the superiority of the
> Pats organization in every way, shape, and form.
> They have stockpiled draft picks for years to
> come, and as long as Brady and his flowing locks
> of transplanted hair are behind center, they're
> just going to win the SB year after year after
> year.
>
> That's what you've been posting for months. But
> now that they actually had their asses handed to
> them by the foot-sniffers, you're NOT surprised.
>
> Okay. confused smiley

Well, the patriots are the more complete team with the best QB, but when you really look at it, the Jets were the team touted by the media as the team if "destiny" so yes I'm not surprised having watched the first half of that game. Jets like someone else said, win the SB. Now my only question is...when is it our turn? Should be coming soon since the jets last won it in 1969 and for us was 1973, so my guess... 2015-2016?

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:35PM

dolfan1 Wrote:
>
>
> Well, the patriots are the more complete team with
> the best QB, but when you really look at it, the
> Jets were the team touted by the media as the team
> if "destiny" so yes I'm not surprised having
> watched the first half of that game. Jets like
> someone else said, win the SB. Now my only
> question is...when is it our turn? Should be
> coming soon since the jets last won it in 1969 and
> for us was 1973, so my guess... 2015-2016?

I'd really like to think we earned the titles in 72 and 73, and that we don't really take turns. But from a fortune/karma standpoint, heck yeah we're due!

As for your earlier point, it was evident way before the first half of that game that the Jets were the media darlings this (entire) year, not the Pats.

I think the NFL really wanted to see Jets/Pitt/Dallas/Philly as the final four teams, but I won't go so far to say they are fixing the games.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 19, 2011 06:15PM

The refs gave Pittsburgh the game in the Bettis farewell in Detroit. 5 years later the ref admitted blowing several key calls

Date: January 20, 2011 01:51AM

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: January 20, 2011 05:59AM

Look at our game vs. the Steelers. They're grey areas in the rule book so refs can make games go the way they're told

Date: January 20, 2011 06:46AM

Date: January 20, 2011 06:57AM

Obviously none of this stuff is provable in a definitive way. But that doesn’t mean there are not strong tendencies for certain teams to continually get the unofficial official "benefit" in a number of examples.

Holding not called. PI called and not called. Etc.

The key point is it usually only takes a few beneficial calls to alter the outcome of a game. And there is very consistent evidence that certain teams always seem to get the "benefit" in critical times.

IMO the longest and most blatantly OBVIOUS example of this was the Pats. It was sickening...

However the Steelers are not all that far behind in this department either. As noted above, they we're 100% gifted the SB against Seattle.

Date: January 24, 2011 02:24AM

Where's the conspiracy theorist at this morning? The Jets/Pats didn't make it so what's your next explanation?

Date: January 24, 2011 04:20AM

Money was on the Jets, so they had to have the steelers win smiling smiley

Date: January 24, 2011 05:34AM

Wrong on so many levels, i'm gonna assume since you put the smiley face that you're joking though.

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: January 24, 2011 06:30AM

well ill admit i was wrong here, but im happy about it. I never said it was guaranteed though, i just said if it happens, i wouldnt believe the nfl anymore.

But im certainly glad it didn't happen that way.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.