HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          At least the draft comes first
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
At least the draft comes first
Posted by: SigKash ()
Date: January 18, 2011 04:50AM

I am actually happy that teams can't trade, drop players, etc until after the draft(unless a new CBA is signed, doubtful.) This puts pressure on the staff to take a QB in the draft, instead of trading picks away beforehand for some someone else's trash.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: At least the draft comes first
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 18, 2011 04:54AM

Actually, doesn't this handcuff us? Doesn't this restrict us from trading picks/players to move up in the draft? If we can't move up to grab one of the hot QBs (now that Luck decided to stay in school, there is one less), it is LESS likely that we draft a QB that will be worth anything.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 18, 2011 05:59AM

The way I understand it, we can trade picks but not players to move up.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:21AM

Given the many needs of this team, and with no second round pick, and the pressure on the coaching staff, I doubt they will draft a QB in the first round. I think we'll look to trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder. We need 2-3 new offensive linemen. We need 2-3 RBs. We need 1-2 WRs. We need a TE. Obviously, QB is very, very important. But, with no line, no running game, and no one to stretch the field, it is setting up a young QB for failure. I expect that they will bring in some sort of veteran to push Henne. And they will draft a developmental QB in one of the later rounds, maybe a guy with the size, smarts, and arm, but who played at a small program.

But, yeah, with no free agency before the draft, it makes things tough. Normally, teams fill needs in free agency, and then draft accordingly. This years, teams will have so many needs at draft time, it will make it much tougher.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: January 18, 2011 07:37AM

DolfanMark finally another man on here who speak's the truth.

ALL this wee have to take a QB waaaaa waaaa. Is garbage we will not be selecting a high prospect QB, especially since Luck will be in next year's draft.

I too agree you will see us trade down, and pick up some guards.
We need to draft that kid who is 6-10 and plays LT, move him to RT, and have two of the biggest tackles in the league, and DOMINATE the defenders.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 19, 2011 07:42AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 20, 2011 09:51AM

I agree that we need to draft a quarterback, I don't however agree that it MUST be in the first round. That depends on who is there when we pick. If we do take one in the first, then great, but there should be quality developmental guys in the third round too, like Stanzi, Enderle, Kaepernick or Dalton.

Henne should be retained (and he will be because there is no CBA) as should Thigpen.

The draft pick should be for competition with them and to round out the roster...if that pick also bears the fruit of beating out Henne and Thigpen for the starting job on a completely level playing field, so much the better, for the team.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 10:23AM

DolfanMark-
I think what is not being taken into account by the needs you suggest is that you suggest, we plan on addressing all of our needs in the draft.... I dont think that will be the case, I think at least half our needs will be addressed in FA. No matter what happens with the CBA, which I think will happen sooner then later, their will be some sort of period of FA before we play football again... Plain and simple...
For example last year alot of people had us taking Dez Bryant, or Rolando Mcclain, until we handled both those needs in FA. THen they had us taking a NT, which we didnt and really didnt miss..
The reason I am so sure about the QB move is becasue of Ross and Dee. They want to sell tickets... They are not going to sell tickets with status quo at the QB position...

Now onto the why we will get a CBA sooner then later.The players thought they had the upperhand, and really wanted a lock out. They think if they are locked out fans support will stay with the players...
Owners dont want a lockout as player want, as described above.. Owners want to force the players to have to strike.. WHich then the owners think fan support will be with them...

If neither thinks they are going to get it the way they want it, the more likely it is a new CBA is reached... WHich is what I think is happening now... Owners are not going to let the players get the lockout they want , which the players believe will result in greater success for the Union.
Either way both sides plan on using us to get their way...

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 10:42AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.