HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ross' real mistake
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ross' real mistake
Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: January 07, 2011 05:43AM

Krunk Fu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what all of you are saying is that it is not at
> all possible that Cowher simply did not want to
> work for Ireland, and wanted to approve the next
> GM that would be hired?
>
> That can't possibly be the case?

Honest question: How old are you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 07, 2011 05:50AM

A General Manager has broad, overall responsibility for a business or organization. This would include, I surmise, in reference to a football team, the person that overseas revenue from ticket sales, concessions, parking, tv, costs of operation including employee salaries and compensation, personnel hiring and firing based on the needs of the team in terms of coaches, staff, administration, groundskeepers, and player personnel.

Under most large and complex organizations, they may have other executives, directors, managers, executive officers with titles that have hands on dealings with a specific business function, like, legal, accounting, revenue, etc. These execs have key responsibilities, but someone higher up overseas them and their overall activities.

There is clearly a pecking order in all organizations.

A HC who thinks he can actively run the business operation of a multimillion dollar corporation is out of his mind. To me the HC is responsible for fielding the best possible team and to orchestrate a win each week. He should not have his mind on ticket sales, costs of painting the stadium, the pain in the butt secretary in the typing pool, or whether UPS is picking up packages on time.

I would surmise that a HC who "wants control" wants to be able to trump others on player selection (that is hiring and firing and draft selections). All the other stuff above mentioned is not what he wants to be involved with at all. This would also mean the HC has the final say on selecting coaching assistants, having the ability to hire, but may not necessarily have or want the full authority to fire. That may be in the hands of a GM or Personnel Director (club hatchet man). Remember--firing has a tendency to hurt feelings and burn bridges.

Organizational structure differs. There is no set boilerplate schematic or pattern to follow. But what is certain it's all by job description and the responsibilities that flow from it.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 07, 2011 05:52AM

His real mistake was taking Ireland with him. We all know how Ireland interviews people. Miami was probably eliminated from contention as soon as Ireland opened his mouth.

Not that I am disappointed as I never wanted a college coach.

Everyone thinks Cowher is so great (and he is a great coach) but they fail to recognize that he was not the one making the personnel decisions in Pittsburgh. He had A LOT of talent coming thru Pit. That is how a successful team is made....by the players you choose.

Personally I would rather have Carl Peterson as GM over Ireland.

Here we are in 2011 with as many holes on offense as we had on defense last year. QB, RB, RB, WR, TE, OG, OG, C, FB

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 07, 2011 05:54AM

HC in the NFL = you select the staff and collaborate in the draft.

GM = focus on player evaluation (college and pro) and (contingency) recuit HC when needed.

Ireland is player evaluation (college and pro) ONLY. Unless that has now changed.

Parcells WAS the decision maker.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 07, 2011 06:20AM

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: January 07, 2011 06:27AM

Okay. I started the thread and stayed out of the fray when it got a bit confrontational, but when someone says that they'd rather have Carl Peterson as GM over anybody... I have to throw in my 2 cents. Carl Peterson was an unmitigated disaster in KC. You've heard about the man with the golden touch, well when Peterson touches something, it turns to a substance that in my neighborhood you're required to pick up when your dog deposits it on someone's lawn. Unfortunately, based upon Peterson's attendance at the Harbaugh meeting and his involvement in contacting Cowher, we may be headed for this eventuality, if we're not already there. So far, based upon what I've seen of Ross' ownership style, I guess Huizenga wasn't all that bad.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 07, 2011 06:56AM

I dont know who said they wanted Carl Peterson, but I cant tell you how I feel abou him....

I DONT WANT THE GUY! 100% DONT WANT HIM!

I was very weary of the reports of him going with Ross and Ireland. It made me feel very uneasy.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: January 07, 2011 07:18AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont know who said they wanted Carl Peterson,
> but I cant tell you how I feel abou him....
>
>
> I DONT WANT THE GUY! 100% DONT WANT HIM!
>
>
> I was very weary of the reports of him going with
> Ross and Ireland. It made me feel very uneasy.

+1 this guy is a cancer

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 07, 2011 08:05AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 07, 2011 08:54AM

Bottom line, Ireland is being paid very well to learn on the job. No minus Biggie T, he's got to prove his worth.

As stated before, I'm NOT sold on him. But I'm willing to extend him the benefit of the doubt on certain prior "decisions" such as passing on Ryan, taking Pat White and not darfting more QB's.

But he's done nothing but tarnish his rep for a while now...

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.