HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ross needs to SH@# or get off the pot!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ross needs to SH@# or get off the pot!
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 04, 2011 11:54AM

If he's gonna pull the trigger he needs to do it ASAP and can Sparano, if he's not, he needs to sign him to an extension and let the man get on with bringing in a new OC and QB coach already. With all the hiring/firing of coaches going on, now is not the time to be wringing your hands.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ross needs to SH@# or get off the pot!
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 04, 2011 11:59AM

I don't see the logic in choosing bw firing a guy or signing him to an extension. those 2 should be mutually exclusive. I don't care if he's a lame duck--rewarding someone you think did such a crappy job you are considering firing him makes no sense---remember wanny? he didn't even make it past the next season following his extension wayne stupidly gave him. those were the worst years as a fan for me and I don't want to return to them.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: January 04, 2011 12:00PM

Yeah but look at it on his term, he is getting exposer time by keeping the presser's in the dark.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 04, 2011 12:01PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
those were the worst years as a
> fan for me and I don't want to return to them.

I didnt like Wanny either but 06 to 07 barr none was the worst year for me as a fan.

Date: January 04, 2011 12:02PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I don't see the logic in choosing bw firing a guy
> or signing him to an extension. those 2 should be
> mutually exclusive. I don't care if he's a lame
> duck--rewarding someone you think did such a
> crappy job you are considering firing him makes no
> sense---remember wanny? he didn't even make it
> past the next season following his extension wayne
> stupidly gave him. those were the worst years as a
> fan for me and I don't want to return to them.

I personally contend he cant leave him as a "Lame Duck" he either needs to fire him or go all "Smiling Bob" and extend him.

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: January 04, 2011 12:25PM

i would leave his contract alone and make him sweat this year out, to see his full potential as a coach, it works with players, why not coaches?

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 04, 2011 02:48PM

Hey but there is another reason that the title of this post is RIGHT-ON! That reason is that people are making up their minds about moving and other teams are dismissing coaches and looking to lure away other people and so if you're going to make a change, don't do it so late that you miss out on good personnel who commit to other opportunities and are only left with the dregs.

In short, you need to get into the market and dammit, if you're not going to fire the coach, make an announcement but what the f_ck is he DALLYING FOR??????????

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: January 04, 2011 04:19PM

I think it's a false assumption to think that he's "dallying". Just because we aren't privy to every call he makes, doesn't mean he isn't making those phone calls/meetings.

Simple fact is, I think Ross is looking at all of his options, making phone calls to people he's interested in giving the position to, and making decisions based on what he hears back. There is no reason to shit can Sparano before he has someone lined up to replace him. You don't get to be as rich as he is by making hasty decisions without having a sure thing in the wind.

Don't worry folks, I think we'll see something happen one way or the other by the start of the new week.

Date: January 05, 2011 05:48AM

The more I think about the way this is being handled the more I think Ross is totaly screwing the pooch here. He almost has to can Sparano now, how in the hell can you openly flirt with Harbaugh AND Cowher, then if you dont get either, turn around and ask the players and fan-base to support Sparano? How can Tony and Jeff work together after it's well known the Ireland was ready to scrap Tony to save his own ass? So far he's failing in his 1st major football decision IMO. He needs to fire him now and then do a coaching search or welcome him back, can't have it both ways and expect it to work.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: January 05, 2011 05:50AM

Why does he need to do it right now?

The regular season wrapped up less than 48 hours ago. It's pretty clear that he's trying to find out if he can get a guy he has targeted. If he can, he will pull the trigger. If he can't, he retains his fallback option.

The impatience is unbelievable. He's getting his ducks in a row. This actually gives me a great deal of confidence that Ross knows how to manage a business.

Date: January 05, 2011 05:57AM

(R/J)ay Wrote:
> Why does he need to do it right now?
>
> The regular season wrapped up less than 48 hours
> ago. It's pretty clear that he's trying to find
> out if he can get a guy he has targeted. If he
> can, he will pull the trigger. If he can't, he
> retains his fallback option.
>
> The impatience is unbelievable. He's getting his
> ducks in a row. This actually gives me a great
> deal of confidence that Ross knows how to manage a
> business.

As far as I know this has never been done in pro football before (could be wrong but I doubt it), the head coach has to have the confidence from his players and asst coaches to be succesful and leaving him flopping in the wind is making Sparano an even more "Lame Duck" coach then he already was. If he wants to get his ducks in a row, then fire him and do your search. We gonna change our names to the "Miami Raiders" next?

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: January 05, 2011 06:10AM

What is more telling and intersting to me is the total lack of communication in play with Bill Parcells.

1. Should he be the first to go? Is he already gone? Seems like it.

2. Tony is Bill's guy, yet Bill Parcells seemingly jumped ship mid season over differences about Henne or something.
- It seems like Bill has much less of a reationship with Ross than advertised and I'm surprised he is still on the payroll.

3. Who is Ross's football mentor now that can be objective?
- Is it Bill Ireland, Carl Peterson?

4. I am okay with not informing the press but agree that a speedy decision is needed. The press would be the last one I'd respond to.

5. Going cheap is not likely going to buy you much and the press of the day is degrading any chance Tony Sparano might have of resurrecting the team.

- Who ever is Ross's football mentor, needs to get a saavy spokesman in play if he plans to retain Sparano

- One who is smart enough to know how to use the press to his financial advantage as well as one who can land a quality management team

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 05, 2011 06:32AM

parcells is on the payroll because under his contract he has to be whether he consults with the owner or not. if he chooses not to return ross's calls (assuming there were any) that's totally up to him, he still gets paid.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: January 05, 2011 06:57AM

Yes berkely, and underscores the need for Ross to get some good football advise particularly if the information flow is broke or slanted due to personnel under discussion.

I expect roos has the business accumen to act accordingly, and hope he is clever enough to attract the right guidance.

- He may feel that ireland has the right stuff, or someone else

Whether parcels gets paid or not is not so much the point as the need to get the role he is supposed to be filling functional again.

Date: January 05, 2011 06:57AM

One other thing, why in the hell hasn't Henning been fired or at the very least announced his retirement yet? This might give his old buddy Tony S a much needed life-line right about now dontcha think?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 05, 2011 07:08AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> One other thing, why in the hell hasn't Henning
> been fired or at the very least announced his
> retirement yet? This might give his old buddy Tony
> S a much needed life-line right about now dontcha
> think?

Agreed. If Ross doesn't want complete egg on his face, he needs to tell Henning: "Either call a press conference TOMORROW announcing your retirement or I'm firing you right now".

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 05, 2011 07:20AM

Date: January 05, 2011 07:28AM

I bet Sparano goes no where, Ross isnt going to give away the house for a HC, or he would have done it by now...

The top three candidates want all this blah blah, and anyone else won't do any better than Sparano.

Hey at least Sparano now know's where he stands, and what needs to be changed.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: January 05, 2011 07:32AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> I bet Sparano goes no where, Ross isnt going to
> give away the house for a HC, or he would have
> done it by now...
>
> The top three candidates want all this blah blah,
> and anyone else won't do any better than Sparano.
>
> Hey at least Sparano now know's where he stands,
> and what needs to be changed.

He is rumored to be courting Harbaugh heavily. Harbaugh also has Denver, SF and the University of Michigan all over him. I'm sure Stanford wants to keep him, too. If Harbaugh is the guy, we might not even know until next week.

There is really no reason to cut Sparano and Ireland loose now. They are still getting paid. I'm sure they know the score. After back to back 7-9 seasons they damn well better. It's not as if Ross just fired 14-2 Marty Schottenheimer.

Date: January 05, 2011 07:33AM

"Hey at least Sparano now know's where he stands"

Right now Sparano's not "standing" anywhere, he's like that guy in the Allstate commercial portraying the team flag that flies off and causes a wreck.....he's flopping in the breeze.

Date: January 05, 2011 07:39AM

Lol ... I ment with the players, Look I just don't see Ross bringing in a HIGHLY paid coach, and paying off Sparano's contract.

Thats all

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: January 05, 2011 07:39AM

Lame Duck HC 2010: John Fox, Carolina Panthers, 2-14

But hey...at least they get first pick in the draft, right?

Date: January 05, 2011 07:46AM

Gotta look at the coach's there are teams in better, and worse shape than ours.

We got a team that has little draft stock, and many highly talented needs.

The same can be said about all the other teams that fired HC, however Raiders and San-Fran in best position with draft picks, and player, personell to land these guys.

Plus in a weak division, who the hell want's to clean up our mess in a STACKED division?

No one want's the trouble, and time, and the headache of righting this ship.

Date: January 05, 2011 08:37AM

Date: January 05, 2011 08:45AM

Who is Greenberg? Why should we care what that guy say's?

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 05, 2011 08:48AM

"Greenberg said there is no way Sparano can return to the Dolphins in 2011 given the events of this week.

Awesome. Great news.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 05, 2011 08:49AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> Who is Greenberg? Why should we care what that guy
> say's?

The same applies to you.

Date: January 05, 2011 08:51AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Mia1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Who is Greenberg? Why should we care what that
> guy
> > say's?
>
>
> The same applies to you.

Ditto.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 05, 2011 08:57AM

Date: January 05, 2011 09:00AM

Dude where not brining in anyone.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.