HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Andrew Luck vs. Tyrod Taylor
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Andrew Luck vs. Tyrod Taylor
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 04, 2011 08:37AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Andrew Luck vs. Tyrod Taylor
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 04, 2011 08:39AM

Chyren, Luck messed that defense up so bad, they didnt know what to do.

They didnt know whether to come up for the run, or defend the pass.

Luck is awesome. Taylor has a limited ceiling as a pro QB.

Just my opinion, bud. thumbs up

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: January 04, 2011 08:42AM

Was it Luck that messed up that Hokie defense or the shifting movement of almost the whole Stanford team before every snap that messed with their minds?

And also keep in mind that the most devastating offensive plays against the Hokies were Stanford's running plays, a couple of them going (singularly) for more than 50 yards.

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: January 04, 2011 08:44AM

Chyren, I watched both Vick and Taylor in person throughout their entire college careers and to put Tyrod ahead of Vick is simply false. Not even close. In 99 , Michael took a much less talented team all the way to the national championship game and came within one quarter of winning it all.

Date: January 04, 2011 08:46AM

And as for Luck, I watched that display in person last night and his quick decision making and accuracy on the run make him pretty special.

Date: January 04, 2011 08:47AM

If I gave the impression that I was saying that Taylor is better than Vick (OVERALL) that was not what I meant to say. I said he had more elusiveness than Vick and, it seems to me, a better arm. But I'm just going on last night.

Date: January 04, 2011 08:49AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 04, 2011 08:49AM

I happen to agree with your core perspective on this one. It occurred to me several times that Luck was in the ideal spot to showcase himself and Tyrod was essentially a one man gang running for his life.

However, there was some “evidence” that Luck wasn’t just lucky, specifically the scramble at his own 5 or thereabouts and hitting the TE on an out while being taken down. That was a big-league play in every way. And you can’t fault the kid for playing on a good team.

Tyrod needs to work on his game but he’s definitely an interesting prospect and has the arm and game generalship / competitiveness you want in a QB. Of course Sloth does NOT have that. I’d consider a dude like Tyrod as the 2nd pillar in my QB solution (#1 pick and back that up with a mid rounder).

All in all, legit points ChyrenB

Date: January 04, 2011 08:50AM

Sorry to disagree with you but Vick's elusiveness in college was unlike anything I have ever seen. But yes Tyrod is more accurate at this stage

Date: January 04, 2011 08:53AM

I mean we, as Dolphin fans, are in the best position to judge the talent of these college kids.

We can look at the defects of our team and decide what kind of QB WE need.

What impressed me about Gabbert was his performance UNDER PRESSURE and his ability to throw tight passess into receivers who were being blanketed.

I saw the same thing in Taylor.

When I looked at Luck, I did not see because he did not have to throw either under pressure or to receivers that were blanketed. For him to throw a perfect touch pass to a wide-open receiver tells me nothing.

Going back to the beginning, the guy who is able to operate behind a bad team is more valuable than a guy who is able to operate behind a great team.

Date: January 04, 2011 08:56AM

In person I think its a little easier to see the entire field and I saw Luck throw into several tight windows last night.

Date: January 04, 2011 08:59AM

Nobody in their right mind is saying Taylor is even in the top 20 prospects coming out this offseason.

Andrew Luck is #1. And he is #1 for a reason.

---------------------

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:11AM

Tyrod Tayler lol....... LMAO ohhh now I seen it all.
WHOOOOOOO good chuckle.. Thanks CrynB.

Decent college QB nothing else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 09:14AM by Mia1.

Date: January 04, 2011 09:12AM

Coming from the guy who said Pat White should be the #1 overall pick.

---------------------

Date: January 04, 2011 09:15AM

YEP I did so now every QB who play's like White can kick rocks!!

Becuase its clear to me they are nothing but crap for the NFL, except a SELECT MINUTE few.

Unless they are like a 6th or 7th round pick, I really would stay clear of em.

Vick, Young kinda,and maybe Tebow being the only really sucessfull one's in the past decade or so.

HOWEVER there is one that has peaked my Radar, and possibly worth a 2nd round pick, is Martinez from Nebraska.

Alot like Thigpen but much faster runner, and has a 138 QB rating this year alone, sophmore.

He is only 185 at 6"1 though, so if he bulks up to 200 or 195, would it affect his ability to run.

Anyway's he looks like the next comming of Vick, if I had to pick a guy who is a dual threat utility guy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 09:22AM by Mia1.

Date: January 04, 2011 09:18AM

True. Tyrod ain't no Pat White.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:18AM

All nice but unlikely that either Luck will ever be seen in a Dolphins uniform.

One thing for sure even if Harbaugh ended up in miami, it has no bearing on the draft pecking order, and thus we're still without an effective QB

Having said that - Ebven Henne would perform better under someon like Harbaugh, as the schemes they ran were creative and put the offense in a controlling position against a very talented Hokie defense.

Date: January 04, 2011 09:39AM

Chuckie called that game. It will be interesting to see what would happen if he became the Dolphin coach.

But here is the logical dilemma for every one putting down Tyrod Taylor.

The odds are that we won't be able to smell either Gabbert or Luck and maybe not even Mallet or Newton.

What if you guys ARE RIGHT about Tyrod not being drafted highly. Then the sensible thing is to attempt to cure the defects in the rest of our team and pick him up in the 5th or 6th round?

Date: January 04, 2011 09:43AM

Why? Why waist a 6th round on a guy who is no better than Thigpen, or HENNE for that matter?

Unless he is really fast and can turn into a wr.

Stupid move if to try to make him a QB, especially on this team.

Date: January 04, 2011 09:43AM

Pending the combine etc. that's what he is - a late round spec.

Date: January 04, 2011 09:47AM

Translating into nothing more than the next Dennis Dixon AT best.

Date: January 04, 2011 09:50AM

Mia1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> YEP I did so now every QB who play's like White
> can kick rocks!!

RESPONSE: Wrong in EVERY sense of the word. A remarkable accomplishment for anyone but one which you seem to duplicate on almost every one of your post. This kid is built nothing like Pat White. Pat White was strictly a wildcat quarterback. Pat White had no passing skills worth talking about. So you hit the TRIFECTA! He is neither 1) physically, 2) method-wise or 3) talent wise like Pat White.

Finally, even if you were right, just because one person of a type was a bust, does that mean every other player fitting that mode should be rejected.

Following your logic, Andrew Luck should be rejected because he is similiar in every way to Ryan Leaf. Including the first letter of his last name, which knowing your ability to reason would probably mean a lot to you.

>
> Alot like Thigpen

RESPONSE: Back to that again.

but much faster runner, and has
> a 138 QB rating this year alone, sophmore.
>
>
> He is only 185 at 6"1 though, so if he bulks up to
> 200 or 195, would it affect his ability to run.
>
> Anyway's he looks like the next comming of Vick,
> if I had to pick a guy who is a dual threat
> utility guy.

RESPONSE: You can't rely on the national media (here in putting down someone like Tyrod Taylor).

The media builds up someone like Ryan Leaf and here is the dynamic that takes place that results.

Everyone (mainly people who are not really football analyzers) are saying he's great so if you as a pro-team pass on him, particularly to go to someone else you truly believe is better, you know there will be hell to pay if he turns out to be everything the pundits said he would be. But if you pick him and he turns out to be a bust, who could blame you? Who got blamed for Ryan Leaf's pick? The safe bet is to go with him if that is your position of need.

On the other hand, if you pick a Tyrod Taylor and he turns out to be great, sure, you'll be praised but if he's a bust, then you have hell to pay.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:52AM

Luck - Mostly agree. Last night was the first time I've seen him play an entire game and I certainly wasn't awe-struck. The results were good but as you say his receivers were often WIDE open, when they weren't (early on) his results were very 'Henne-Like'. College accuracy <> NFL accuracy. It also didn't seem like there was a lot of zip on his throws, it was dink and dunk, of course this can work well in the NFL. I will say he seemed a good field general, but thats easy when your way ahead. It's just hard to say if a good college passer will translate into a good NFL passer but people who should know more than me think he will so...

Taylor - Are you kidding? When will people learn? Athletic, broken field running college QB's may sell T-Shirts and video games for a year or two but that's it. Vick has probably been the most successful but even he has really not taken a team anywhere near a championship. That 'elusiveness' will only last until he is leveled a couple of times by a linebacker who is just as fast as he is but outweighs him by 60 lbs. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS GUY! Another Pat White waiting to happen.

Date: January 04, 2011 09:54AM

Pat White was a small frail guy, KB. No comparison except in Mia1's mind which is a dangerous place to either go or indulge.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:55AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Mia1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> RESPONSE: You can't rely on the national media
> (here in putting down someone like Tyrod Taylor).
>
> The media builds up someone like Ryan Leaf ...

And Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young. Stay away from running quarterbacks.

Date: January 04, 2011 09:58AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> Why? Why waist a 6th round on a guy who is no
> better than Thigpen,

RESPONSE: Your hero? Well, I supported you in believing that Thiggy should have the last game to demonstrate. However, what Tyrod has over Thiggy is that sometimes Thiggy gets stupid. Tyrod does not.

or HENNE for that matter?
>
> Unless he is really fast and can turn into a wr.
>
> Stupid move if to try to make him a QB, especially
> on this team.

RESPONSE: Well, now you're arguing against yourself because you are proving another reason to draft him,......that he can be tried out at two posititons.

However, I have no information that he has any receiving ability.

HOWEVER, he does look like he could run the Wildcat but I want to see that gone.!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:59AM

KB Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> -----
> > Mia1 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > RESPONSE: You can't rely on the national media
> > (here in putting down someone like Tyrod
> Taylor).
> >
> > The media builds up someone like Ryan Leaf ...
>
> And Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young. Stay away
> from running quarterbacks.

And they're building up Luck as well. Remember Eli Manning? He was SUPPOSED to be as good as, or better, than his brother.

Date: January 04, 2011 10:05AM

Don't knock Eli, he won a Superbowel.

Seriously.

---------------------

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 04, 2011 10:08AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Don't knock Eli, he won a Superbowel.
>
> Seriously.

He's no Peyton, and the Giants defense had more to do with that win than Eli.

Date: January 04, 2011 10:10AM

He still won a superbowl. End of discussion.

---------------------

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.