HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Sporano and Ireland can't afford to draft a 1st Rd QB
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Sporano and Ireland can't afford to draft a 1st Rd QB
Posted by: wayne ()
Date: January 04, 2011 07:28AM

A first rd QB will get them fired. They can't afford to wait for a young QB to develope. If the trade off is to keep Sporano or try and move up to get one of the Young qb's in the 1st rd I say THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES Tony. agree or disagree?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sporano and Ireland can't afford to draft a 1st Rd QB
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 04, 2011 07:30AM

Sparano aint gonna be here.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 04, 2011 07:35AM

Ben Rothlisberger, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco...

Nowadays, rookie QBs can be successful pretty much out of the gate. With the right offensive philosophy we wouldn't be that far off. Just reinforce the O-Line, which we MAY be able to do with the players we already have:

- Jake Long (best LT in the league)
- Joe Berger (swapping with Incognito. He's decent at Guard and could fill in until we get a permanent replacement, probably through the draft)
- Incognito (his move to Center could be permanent. With the right coaching he could be very good. Otherwise, we could pick someone up in the draft)
- Jerry (should improve from his rookie season. He has the tools to be very good)
- Carey (it's all about motivation with him. With the right coach we could see him return to Pro-Bowl form)

Even with Ricky and Ronnie gone, we still have experience at RB with Cobbs and Hilliard, and Kory Sheets will be coming back. Pick up a decent FA and we could pool those 4 into a decent RB-by-committee arrangement.

Then there's WR. Marshall/Hartline/Bess/Moore/Wallace...with the right offensive gameplan we could be successful with those guys, but we COULD use someone with speed.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 04, 2011 07:41AM

I just hope Sparano is gone. As far as Ireland, he will most likely go because he’s a matched pair with Tony. But Ireland could survive…

As far as the draft, these idiots blew it with their first pick, and subsequently have IGNORED the QB position. I don’t know if they thought they could build a winning program with the Sloth, or if they really believed they could win without a legit QB?

But either way their absolute negligence regarding the MOST important position on the team is more than sufficient reason to get axed.

I know a number of people around here are not crazy about Gruden, but I think he’s VERY SMART and has learned a TON by watching the league from the outside. He’s got the intensity and fire you want, and he’s also an excellent QB developer – something that we need desperately. I also think him and Nolan would be a pretty impressive pair of minds and could do some great game-planning together.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 04, 2011 08:04AM

They didn't neglect the quarterback position. They drafted Henne and White and aquired Pennington and Thigpen.

Just because they passed on Ryan and have not used a #1 on a quaterback does not mean that they have neglected the position. To say that they have is a gross overstatement.

Could they have made better choices in who they brought in, absolutely...neglect, don't think so.

Even Saban brought in an experienced veteran who had been highly sucessfull in the NFL...he just picked the wrong player.

Wanny is the one that neglected the position if any coach for this team ever has.

Date: January 04, 2011 08:16AM

WRONG. Drafting the Sloth in the 2nd was their ONLY QB draft play in 3 years. No one in their right mind would ever consider Pat White a "serious" NFL QB prospect. Perhaps a carnival side-show act but that's it.

Pennington fell into their laps and Thigpen was aquired for a 5th. Hello. Do you think Thigpan (???) has a realistic shot at being the long-term answer at QB?

One college QB prospect in 3 years is pathetic when they knew this team had ZERO QB talent from the start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 08:17AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 04, 2011 08:27AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:00AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WRONG. Drafting the Sloth in the 2nd was their
> ONLY QB draft play in 3 years. No one in their
> right mind would ever consider Pat White a
> "serious" NFL QB prospect. Perhaps a carnival
> side-show act but that's it.
>
> Pennington fell into their laps and Thigpen was
> aquired for a 5th. Hello. Do you think Thigpan
> (???) has a realistic shot at being the long-term
> answer at QB?
>
> One college QB prospect in 3 years is pathetic
> when they knew this team had ZERO QB talent from
> the start.

The facts are that they brought in two veterans and drafted two rookies...Parcells thought he could work with White and Thigpen had shown that he can play during his time in KC. In fact, regarding White Parcells has a long history of getting great results with non prototypical players so why would he not take another chance? It was a shot that had a 50-50 chance of working or being a bust. And add to this the fact that Parcells has mostly drafted and otherwise aquired second tier players at quarterback and you see the thinking from him regarding the position.

Phil Simms...decent at best despite a superbowl.
Scott Bruner
Jeff Hostetler...decent at best despite a superbowl.
Vinny Testaverde...decent at best dispite a long career.
Ray Lucas
Quincy Carter
Drew Bledsoe...above average.
Scott Secules
Tony Romo...above average.
Chad Pennington...above average.
Pat White
Chad Henne
Tyler Thigpen

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:03AM

Am Listening to Brandon Marshal on WQAM and he thinks Thigpen is the answer....

Date: January 04, 2011 09:07AM

Perhaps the team was NOT in a position to take such a wild ass shot as Pat White? I mean, it's not like we were overloaded with proven talent.

Just saying, at the time I was excited about the prospect myself, but the fact they NEVER worked the kid out ??? and found out he had (a) a pre-puberty body and (b) ZERO throwing mechanics and (c) no stomach for the NFL game AFTER they had him in camp is >>>

beyond negligence IMO.

Date: January 04, 2011 09:09AM

Brandon Marshall is just letting EVERYONE KNOW Henne is NOT the answer. He's using Thigpen as a lever and nothing more.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:10AM

Quote:

"Am Listening to Brandon Marshal on WQAM and he thinks Thigpen is the answer...."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I agree totally. Tyler Twigpen is the answer at the #3 QB position on our team.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: January 04, 2011 09:19AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Quote:
>
> "Am Listening to Brandon Marshal on WQAM and he
> thinks Thigpen is the answer...."
>
>
>
> &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
> I agree totally. Tyler Twigpen is the answer at
> the #3 QB position on our team.

I hear that... Was just stating what he said, said something to the effect that Thigpen gets it, and is willing to throw down field and is not afraid to make a play...

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:30AM

SouthFlPhinFan Wrote:
> Am Listening to Brandon Marshal on WQAM and he
> thinks Thigpen is the answer....

OHHHH MY GOD BRANDON I LOVE YOU.

I take his word over any of your's when it comes to QB'S, and who he play's for.

EAT IT NUM NUM NUMMMMMMM YUMMY GOD THE CROW YOUR GOING TO DIGEST!!!!! Better pray to the god of little punks that Thigpen doesnt get the nod next season, or I will be busy in he kitchen serving up some helpful serving's of crow......

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:37AM

Have to agree with BigNasty that Gruden / Nolan would be a nice combo.

I do not believe our team player offense is as bad as our coaching offense.

Harbaugh would also add value, but I think Gruden is incredibly bright and is undoubtedly the most insightful person in the broadcast booth these days.

This team needs an infusion, I like Tony, but he doesn't have what it takes offensively, and despite his likelble personaliy os not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to competing strategy with other coaches (IMHO)

Date: January 04, 2011 09:42AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> SouthFlPhinFan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Am Listening to Brandon Marshal on WQAM and he
> > thinks Thigpen is the answer....
>
>
> OHHHH MY GOD BRANDON I LOVE YOU.
>
> I take his word over any of your's when it comes
> to QB'S, and who he play's for.

>
>
> EAT IT NUM NUM NUMMMMMMM YUMMY GOD THE CROW YOUR
> GOING TO DIGEST!!!!! Better pray to the god of
> little punks that Thigpen doesnt get the nod next
> season, or I will be busy in he kitchen serving up
> some helpful serving's of crow......

To be truthful I think he said that more as a knock on henne then anything else, they where trying to get him to say Henne was not good and that was his way of answering... but if we go into next season without a new QB I would take a look at Thigpen and see if he could be any better then Henne... Hell with the pass that Brandon Marshal threw down field in one game give him a try, could it get worst then this year??? LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.