HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ownership
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ownership
Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: December 28, 2010 01:11PM

Over the last few seasons Miami has made many coaching changes and many player changes but after looking back at everything I don't think that is the cause of our problem. One area that I feel often gets overlooked is the ownership position (I don't particularly like that side of football as much as the playing and coaching side however it does affect things). I feel a strong organization starts at the top and our last owner(Huizenga) and our current one(Ross) both seem to lack football knowledge. Wayne H. always seemed to distant himself when he should get involved and get involved when he should stay away and now we have Ross a real estate guy wanting to start doing the same thing IMO. We have had veteran coaches and rookie ones, we have had rookie and veteran players,we have veteran and rookie coordinaters, and we have had a big name GM. IMO when you have an owner who only has money and lacks any grain of football knowledge it seems as though coaches gain too much freedom and control and it becomes there demise. It is like we lack accountability at this spot so players and coaches come in grab the cash and move on. Until we get an owner with just a bit more football sense I feel we will struggle and the bad thing is I don't think it can be bought because that is kinda what Wayne was always trying to do. What do you guys feel about the ownership?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ownership
Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: December 28, 2010 01:18PM

I dunno about your perspective. Ross may seemingly be a "dunce" when it comes to X's and O's of football, but he does seem to have a deep desire to win. In my opinion, his outward expression of the want to develop a culture of winners makes him a better owner than Wayne. Also, you talk about Wayne buying success, but I can't remember Wayne ever making two players the highest paid at their positions in the league in the same year, ever.

I think Ross understands that he isn't the smartest cat in terms of the intricacies of running this organization, like say, Jerry Jones, but I give him credit for trying to bring in people that seemingly do(Parcells, etc.).

I have a lot of faith that we'll see a SuperBowl in Miami's near future, because Ross has made it clear anything less is unacceptable. I think eventually people are going to see that we're fortunate to have him as an owner, which is hard to say right now due to our current record.

Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: December 28, 2010 01:28PM

The part about Wayne I meant that football knowledge could not be obtained through money for example paying advisors. As far as Ross goes I do like that he wants to win and says that losing is unacceptable but I still feel he doesn't know the answers and will just start attempting random moves or letting others run him around.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 28, 2010 01:42PM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 28, 2010 02:05PM

I agree with you entirely Sleekdogg. The Robbe family was the only ownership we had who really knew football and was good for the team and winning.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 28, 2010 02:25PM

But Phinsfan, I will say....If Ross hires Carl Peterson in any kind of role, I will now *EXACTLY* where he stands.

I will vomit.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 28, 2010 02:26PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the shots people are taking at Ross are
> COMPLETELY unfounded.
>
> First of all, he hasn't hired a coach yet so we
> have NO IDEA how he will do with that.
>
> Secondly...how many new owners in this league
> actually know anything about football? Its not
> like the ownership ranks are littered with former
> players or coaches or scouts.
>
> These guys (with a few exceptions) are businessmen
> that made their fortunes outside the football
> world and they rely on football people they trust
> to guide them when needed.
>
> All you can ask for in an owner is a guy that
> cares about the team, wants to win, and is willing
> to put his money where his mouth is.
>
> Anything beyond that is just gravy.
>
> So far Ross has been fine. He let Ireland and
> Parcells spend whatever they wanted on bringing in
> and cutting plenty of guys.
>
> I'll take him over half the owners in the league
> at this point and he hasn't even hired a HC yet,
> even if he did ok the hiring of Mike Nolan as DC.

Absolutly correct top to bottom. No argument from me here.

Date: December 28, 2010 02:28PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I agree with you entirely Sleekdogg. The Robbe
> family was the only ownership we had who really
> knew football and was good for the team and
> winning.

Why do you think the Robbie family new football. Joe Robbie was a lawyer and great communicator. He had a passion for being the best and did what it took to get there.
Read Phinfans post. He hit the nail on the head.

Date: December 28, 2010 02:36PM

Date: December 28, 2010 02:40PM

Let me put it another way, Leon.

Person A has recycling company A and person A is an engineer with many degrees in the field.

Person B knows little about the recycling business but knows talent both in the office and the field.

Person A's company goes bankrupct.

Person B's company is a fortune 500 success.

Which owner would you say was the best? And which one would you say "truly" knows the business the best.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 28, 2010 02:48PM

Phinsfan2's comments:

These guys (with a few exceptions) are businessmen that made their fortunes outside the football world and they rely on football people they trust to guide them when needed.

All you can ask for in an owner is a guy that cares about the team, wants to win, and is willing to put his money where his mouth is."

This a keen observation and one that is correct, IMO.

Danny Thomas and Joe Robbie, both of Lebanese background were smart businessmen. Joe Robbie, a lawyer, was smart and realized he needed to select top players and a bright young coach to make the team a success. Not having a crystal ball, he certainly made the right deals that set the tone for the franchise. His demise and subsequent purchase of the team by Wayne H. showed that while Wayne was a shrewd businessman, he lacked the knack or insight of Joe Robbie.

Ross has things to think about and decisions to make. What he decides to do will effect the franchise for many years. I do hope that if he believes a new coach is needed he goes after one that will carry on the winning tradition of the early franchise. We would all be thrilled to hear good things about the Dolphins, like we hear about the Steelers, NE, Colts and a few other teams. Would it not be great to have a top CB, linebacker, RB and QB like years past? Or am I wrong.

Ross didn't get where he is today by relying on himself to do all things. He has trusted friends and advisers that help him make quality decisions. He will seek the best football advice as possible, I believe. Let's all hope I'm correct.

Date: December 29, 2010 07:37AM

Colone. Nice post. I doubt that many here even knew that Danny Thomas was an owner for a while. They probably don't even know who he is.

ChyrenB
"So what's your definition of knowing football and how do you put any one of the Dolphin owners above the Robbe family?'

Show me where I said anything like that.
Robbie brought in Joe Thomas as GM. Joe is the one that built he team. He also brought in Shula, a very successful young coach in Baltimore. You say "failed" coach. Is winning and taking his team to the SB failing?
Robbie locked him in and gave up a #1 draft choice as a result. Best penalty ever.
That was Robbie. Knowing what it takes by hiring a great GM and lessoning to him. Then pulling the trigger.
That's not knowing football, that's knowing business and being a winner.

Posted by: Teri ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:41PM

I always wished, that Don Shula would buy the Dolphins someday.

Date: December 29, 2010 01:48PM

Leon, if your business is football and you know that business, then you know football. What am I missing? I said Robbe knew football and you say, no, he only knows business although his business, at the time, was knowing football talent and bringin it in.

Date: December 29, 2010 01:52PM

Oh, BTW, I forgot to add, Leon. Don't argue with me about history, YOUNGSTER! I was there. When Joe Willy and the Jets beat the NFL in the SuperBowl represented by Baltimore, it was a tremendous and humiliating and CRUSHING blow to the pride of the NFL. The whole NFL LASHED OUT at that young coach, Don Shula, as being the reason for the lost. He was regarded as unworthy. It must have been his fault. For Robbe, to see that Don Shula was a great coach TOOK FORESIGHT circa 1969, not the HINDSIGHT which with you are now looking at it.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: December 29, 2010 04:48PM

Teri Wrote:
> I always wished, that Don Shula would buy the
> Dolphins someday.

Not sure about after Ross bought the team, but I believe Shula is still involved in the FO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.