HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I am not buying this lack of speed on offense
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I am not buying this lack of speed on offense
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: December 24, 2010 04:24AM

This offense if healthy and playing well would be pretty good if we had a QB who could exploit the other team's defensive weaknesses like Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers. Now I did not even mention Brady or Manning because you don't need to be that good to win in this league. What you need is a QB who can read defenses and make all the throws with pass rushers in his face. We simply have not had that since Marino retired point blank. You Put one of the afore mentioned QB's on our team and Henne on one of their teams and then tell me what what their records would be polar opposites. So this argument that the coaching staff is making is to save their job's because of their failure to find this franchise a legetimate QB who can win games and not be a liabilty every freakin Sunday. I have said my peace your comments are welcomed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I am not buying this lack of speed on offense
Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: December 24, 2010 05:02AM

I agree, it's an excuse by Henning and Sparano to try to deflect blame.

Brian Hartline is fast enough to get open behind a defense (we've seen Henne miss him a few times).

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 24, 2010 05:25AM

The 49ers of the 80's didn't have much speed after Renaldo Nehemiah retired and they did pretty well. Our WRs can get open if they have the right play called. Henning has no idea how to diagram passing plays in the modern NFL. It's blatantly obvious.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 24, 2010 05:28AM

I am. Ricky and Ronnie are not explosive, and neither are any WR's we have.

We have *NO* big play guys that everytime they touch the ball, they could take it all the way.

DeSean Jackson, Chris Johnson, Mike Wallace, Steve Johnson, I could go on and on from almost every team......

We have no straight line, vertical, speed guys. Our offense is slow and dull.

But, that does not mean that the lack of speed is our hinderence as much as Henning and Henne are.

Henning is still the majority blame.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 24, 2010 05:50AM

Project BIG is much more focused on size than speed.

In fact if Ireland could find an 8ft WR who ran a 6 flat 40 he'd bite.

As I noted before, the loss of Kory Sheets (before the season started) really hurt this offense. We have o perimeter speed and our WR’s don’t scare anyone deep.

Hartline is sneaky fast but he’s no roadrunner.

Date: December 24, 2010 05:58AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In fact if Ireland could find an 8ft WR who ran a
> 6 flat 40 he'd bite.
>

Yeah, but Henning would STILL not throw a jump ball in the end zone.

Date: December 24, 2010 06:01AM

Excuse me how much team speed do the Patriots have on offense or for that matter or half of the other teams in this league. This teams offensive problems stem from the fact that we don't have a legitimate starting QB. Our top priority should be to either trade for one or go the free agent route. Not having one is not an option next year.

Posted by: clovis phinatic ()
Date: December 24, 2010 06:06AM

I just cant buy in to this it is Henne fault nonsense. If you were the QB and you got things rolling and then were taken out. If you were the QB and it was 3rd down and 8 and they call a run play. If you were the QB and your OC is calling a Junior High School game and the defense knows exactly what is going to happen every play. If you were the QB and the OC is happy playing for field goals. If you were the QB and were never given the chance to get into the flow of the game and then all of the sudden you have 1 chance to hit a guy 40 yards down the field.

HOW GOOD DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD BE?

This is all coaching, and our players know it!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to what they are saying. Read between the lines!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 24, 2010 06:25AM

Ya know Henne (NOT Henning) checks into those runs on 3rd and eight don’t you?

And Henne (NOT Henning) is the one throwing 5 yard outs when there’s 20 seconds left in the game and we need 60 yards.

And...(the list just gets silly)

Sure, Henning is gone. But don’t be fooled by the fool at QB.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: December 24, 2010 06:25AM

It's real simple. Henne isn't a top tier QB. However, he also is shackled by Hennings horrible play calling. The players know it. You can tell it by the looks on their faces. Don't worry. If we lost to the Lions, Marshall's gonna flip out post game, I guarantee it.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 24, 2010 06:41AM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 24, 2010 07:28AM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 24, 2010 07:31AM

Exactly, Phinsfan. thumbs up

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 24, 2010 07:35AM

An "I" formation is indeed pretty useless with less than a minute to play when you need to score points.

And what's scary is that Sparano is supportive of Henning. So if Tony doesn't get fired & Henning doesn't retire, guess what? Nothing changes.

I'd like to believe that Ross has had enough of this crap.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 24, 2010 08:02AM

This offense does need a serious injection of speed...we have no WR that scares anyone deep, we also have no WR that is shifty except for Bess, who is too slow to get separation and run away from defenders once he uses that shiftiness. We also have a group of RB's devoid of home run ability and a slow starting TE.

That means that our players are easier to defend...especially so when playcalls are vanilla and the QB is making mistakes.

Speed cures a lot especially when its combined with ability.

Date: December 24, 2010 10:07AM

Their is someone open every play on most passing downs. It is the QB's job to find the open receiver and deliver the ball our offensive problems go away if we have a top flight QB. I know what some of you are saying, but I am not buying it. If we had Rothlesberger we would be at least 10-4, and in the thick of the playoffs. Henne is the problem. You can't sugar coat the truth.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2010 10:52AM by Finshady.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 24, 2010 10:46AM

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: December 24, 2010 11:16AM

I said go after Moss, and Jackson, which this team passed up on both, because they are stupid and cheap.

We have the ability to acquire Jackson this offseason, but Im holding my breath.

I wanted to keep Ginn for kick off and 3 4 wr sets to open up our offense, however we traded the douchbag for well, this FO is horrible at offensive talent.

We got Marshall thank god, now go out and get Jackson. In fact I wouldnt mind getting Ginn back if the Niners dump him lol..

Date: December 24, 2010 01:09PM

A healthy Hartline and Curtis would be enough speed if we had a QB.

Date: December 24, 2010 01:11PM

Curtis is 32. Nothing more in his stage in his career than a faster Bess.

A stop gap for Hartline. Curtis won't be here after the season, and I'm ok with that.

Go after Vincent Jackson if you want a veteran wr with about 4 to 5 years left in the tank.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: December 24, 2010 05:23PM

How on earth can you say "Go after Moss"???

The guy is a locker room cancer! He hasn't done jack sh%t since he left New England. What does that tell you? He's washed up. He still has break away speed, but his head is so big he can't drag it down the field for anyone expect someone who has a bigger head(Billicheat and Shady Brady). The guy is the genital warts equivalent of an NFL player. He spreads and corrupts locker rooms. Look at the Vikings. Look at Tennessee. He's crap. Garbage. Nothing. USELESS TO US. God please don't cheer getting that head case, he would spell the end of our team unity.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 24, 2010 05:29PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Project BIG is much more focused on size than
> speed.
>
> In fact if Ireland could find an 8ft WR who ran a
> 6 flat 40 he'd bite.
>
> As I noted before, the loss of Kory Sheets (before
> the season started) really hurt this offense. We
> have o perimeter speed and our WR’s don’t
> scare anyone deep.
>
> Hartline is sneaky fast but he’s no roadrunner.

RESPONSE: And he can't catch a hot ball to save his life.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 24, 2010 06:00PM

The lack of speed is a real problem. Hartline is a 4.55 guy, below average for the WR position in the NFL, and he is the fastest among our top 3 WR. Bess is great at making people miss, and he still has a lousy average yards per catch because he has no speed to run away from anyone, even linebackers. Neither Ricky nor Ronnie has the speed to get to the corner any more. We have no home run hitters. And it limits what we can do. Hartline has gotten behind defenders, but on every big play he has ever made, he's been run down from behind.

The 49ers had plenty of speed. John Taylor was fast. And did you ever see Jerry Rice get caught from behind?

Yes, Henne has checked down to runs on 3rd and 8. But, who sent in the "check with me" play? He's given a play that calls for him to check down to a run if the defense is dropping 7 or 8 into coverage. So, when he makes the read, what is he supposed to do? If he sticks with a pass, even though the coverage didn't dictate it, then he's going to get blamed by the coaches for not making the correct read. The problem is not the checkdown, it's the playcall.

Yes, that was Henne throwing a short route to Ricky Williams on the last drive last week. But, who sent in the personnel package that had Ricky in the game, with Polite as the FB, in an offset I formation? We were running a base offense package in a desperate situation. Why is our second best receiving RB in the game, and why is he running a short route? That's a problem with the coaching decision.

And this is the coaching staff that did not call a hail mary at the end of the half against Green Bay because the week before, the Packers intercepted a hail mary, and almost returned it for a score. They wouldn't take a shot because they were afraid of a 100+ yard INT return. This epitomizes what's wrong with the coaching staff, with their ultra conservative approach. And this is a positive environment for a young QB?

Date: December 24, 2010 06:14PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> The 49ers had plenty of speed. John Taylor was
> fast. And did you ever see Jerry Rice get caught
> from behind?
>
Taylor ran a 4.67 40 at the combine. Rice ran a 4.71. Hartline ran a 4.55. I don't see the speed you're talking about. on the 49ers squad.

Date: December 25, 2010 01:42AM

Well I hate to keep reinterating a good QB and most of our offensive problems are fixed.

Date: December 25, 2010 02:07AM

Again go after Vincent Jackson, and our wr corps becomes one of the best in the NFL.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 25, 2010 02:57AM

montequi Wrote:
> Taylor ran a 4.67 40 at the combine. Rice ran a
> 4.71. Hartline ran a 4.55. I don't see the speed
> you're talking about. on the 49ers squad.

Did you ever see Rice or Taylor get caught from behind? Have you ever seen Hartline not get caught from behind? Roger Craig was also an explosive talent at RB. And Brent Jones played fast for a TE.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: December 25, 2010 10:02AM

Date: December 25, 2010 01:24PM

I think a new offensive coordinator would help however Dan Henning has been a successful coordinator in the past. we just need better QB play then this team is set to make noise for many years to come.

Date: December 25, 2010 01:29PM

Our offense never has a chance to get in a rythym because Henne can't make plays and sustain drives. The team that has the most rushing attempts in a Pro ball game usually wins however we can't estashblish our running game when teams are daring Henne to beat them. I am hoping Pennington comes back maybe next year if healthy. I know he is a stop gap however we need to make a change or we aren't making anything next year if Henne is still the starter.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.