Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ideally, this is what our offseason, IMO, should be like.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ideally, this is what our offseason, IMO, should be like.
Posted by: Luis75 ()
Date: December 15, 2010 10:18AM

On defense:

Pray and hope Nolan stays. Throw money at him and do all you can to keep him.

Channing is decent and if that position can't be filled with someone better then might as well keep it for now, there are other issues that should be addressed.

A safety to complement Bell (if not replacement) but only if we can get a GREAT safety, if not then stick with what we have. Other issues must be addressed.

A pass rusher to compliment wake. This would make us a top 3 D.

Ok here we go... offense:

NO MORE HENNING. As to who, I'm not too sure and im for the Billick idea but its soooooo out there. Point is, we just need a Nolan caliber guy on O.

Henne is a back up. I was fully behind him. Hell, I even went out and got his rookie card in hopes he would be great (I know I know but I just wanted a great QB again so so bad). He is not the answer and no matter what he is nothing more than an OK QB. My ideal guy is not in the draft, cuz we wont get any quality QB with out pick. MICHAEL VICK. This guy turned the eagles around. I wanted him before he went to philly and I know alot of you scream bloody murder when he is mentioned but hear me out. He makes plays! Marshall would have his best season. Vick is matured and doesnt run out of the pocket like before. Bess and Marshall will be in the probowl and were looking at an AFC east title. Especially with a OC that knows how to use him. He has a bunch of debt and big contract will catch his attention. This would be so perfect that It would launch us into contention the second he is signed.

The O-line. We need a stable and powerful one. I trust our o-line head coach can make this happen when he stops picking up ex-cowboys.

TE. Enough said. Fasano is not enough.

Special teams. I know that using a pick for Special teams didnt work out last time (teddy) but we need someone with ridiculous speed. Someone who cant be caught. Someone to give us the position needed to make a difference.

With these things addressed I feel we can compete for an AFC title. The Jets are a one hit wonder and their 15 mins are up. NE is our target.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ideally, this is what our offseason, IMO, should be like.
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 15, 2010 10:28AM

More or less. Here's my evaluation.

On defense:

Do ANYTHING we can to keep Nolan.

Get a couple OLBs to back up Wake and Misi. Alama-Francis may be sufficient at SOLB, but we need a legit pass rusher to pack up Wake.

That's it on D. We have enough talent and depth at the other positions and a great DC.

On Offense:

Get a new OC.

Pick up a FA QB, or a cheap trade, to push Henne. Open it up and allow Henne, Thigpen, and the new guy to fight it out for the starting job from day 1. Do NOT announce a starter at the beginning of TC.

Pick a Center in the draft...preferably in the 1st round. We need a solid guy that can start from day 1.

Pick a pass-catching TE in the draft and/or grab a FA.

Pick 1 or 2 RBs in the draft and, probably, a FA. Let Ronnie go. Try to re-sign Ricky, but only if his demands are reasonable.

Use any other available picks in the draft to build depth on the O-Line.

If a decent speedy WR becomes available as a FA, sign him!

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 15, 2010 11:12AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More or less. Here's my evaluation.
>
> On defense:
>
> Do ANYTHING we can to keep Nolan.
>
> Get a couple OLBs to back up Wake and Misi.
> Alama-Francis may be sufficient at SOLB, but we
> need a legit pass rusher to pack up Wake.
>
> That's it on D. We have enough talent and depth
> at the other positions and a great DC.
>
> On Offense:
>
> Get a new OC.
>
> Pick up a FA QB, or a cheap trade, to push Henne.
> Open it up and allow Henne, Thigpen, and the new
> guy to fight it out for the starting job from day
> 1. Do NOT announce a starter at the beginning of
> TC.
>
> Pick a Center in the draft...preferably in the 1st
> round. We need a solid guy that can start from
> day 1.
>
> Pick a pass-catching TE in the draft and/or grab a
> FA.
>
> Pick 1 or 2 RBs in the draft and, probably, a FA.
> Let Ronnie go. Try to re-sign Ricky, but only if
> his demands are reasonable.
>
> Use any other available picks in the draft to
> build depth on the O-Line.
>
> If a decent speedy WR becomes available as a FA,
> sign him!

So we need to:

-Pick a new OC (agreed)
-Replace our OL
-Replace our RB's
-Replace our TE
-Get a new WR

BUT, only pick up another journeyman to 'PUSH' Henne hot smiley

Why do you think it easier to build and entire new offense trying to make Henne look better than to just put our efforts in to finding a better QB?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 11:18AM by KB.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 15, 2010 11:38AM

I like the Vick idea. I think (though I also proposed it earlier) that it's far-fetched, but I thought Moss leaving NE was pretty far-fetched before this season.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 15, 2010 11:48AM

KB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> -Pick a new OC (agreed)
> -Replace our OL
I said pick a center and get some depth. Do you think our O-Line play has been fine this year?

> -Replace our RB's
Do you think our running game has been fine this year?

> -Replace our TE
I said pick up a pass-catching TE, NOT replace our TE. We need BOTH

> -Get a new WR
I said only if someone is available.

>
> BUT, only pick up another journeyman to 'PUSH'
> Henne hot smiley
>
> Why do you think it easier to build and entire new
> offense trying to make Henne look better than to
> just put our efforts in to finding a better QB?
So, you think a "better" QB is all we need with no running game and behind a porous offensive line?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 01:03PM by montequi.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 15, 2010 12:55PM

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 15, 2010 01:03PM

Not going to be any good QBs left when we pick in the first. Your dreaming. Be better off getting someone in FA or some sort of trade.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 15, 2010 01:21PM

Leon In Denver Wrote: Not going to be any good QBs left when we pick in the first. Your dreaming. Be better off getting someone in FA or some sort of trade.

Really? Are you psychic?

Barring a "blockbuster" trade (which has already been debated) I'm on the right side of this issue -- by a country mile I'll have you know.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 15, 2010 04:33PM

I'm not a Crowder fan, but he has been playing better the last few weeks. Maybe he and Dansby have found some chemistry together. Dobbins has also played well of late, and they have Edds coming back next year. ILB may not be much of a need, especially if they believe Crowder can finally stay healthy.

On the line, Soliai and McDaniels are free agents. Both have been very good, and Soliai has really, really blossomed. How impressive was it when he made a play on LT on a screen pass, all the way to the sideline? Both guys need to be brought back.

FS is still an issue. Clemons has been way better than Wilson was. But, he seems to lack ball skills, and he's a poor open field tackler. Considering how much he improved from last year, I would not be surprised if they wait and see how much he gains this offseason. And they make like Jones there, too.

On the o-line, Incognito is a free agent, Jerry has been terrible, and Berger is a good solid backup at C and G, and a borderline starter. Carey is slipping and has injury issues. Incognito has always been a RG. Is he playing LG for us simply because they don't trust any of the other guys at LG? I tend to think that may be the case. Maybe we break the bank for Logan Mankins and insert him at LG, re-sign Incognito and move him to RG. Then, we grab a C in the 3rd round, and hope for the best.

We need a deep threat at WR. And someone who is good enough to push Hartline for playing time. Maybe it's Roberto Wallace after he gets through a full offseason in our system. You can't overestimate how important this is to our offense. We desperately need someone who forced the safeties out of the box. This opens up the run, and gives Bess and Marshall more room on their underneath routes.

We need a 2nd TE. Badly. Jeron Mastrud was credited with a "target" in the Oakland game. That's the only pass attempted to a TE other than Fasano. We have 3 undrafted rookie free agent TE on the roster, and they were all cut by other teams before getting to us.

Ricky and Ronnie are both free agents. I don't know if people realize this, but Ricky is making more money than Ronnie this season (4.3M to 3.9M). Its not a given that you can re-sign Ricky for less than Ronnie. I don't think there is any chance that both are brought back. We need an infusion of big time talent here. This could be our first round pick.

I'm not going to say QB is a need. I believe Henne can get the job done. He needs a new playcaller, a running game, a decent o-line, and more weapons in the passing game. Committing to a new young QB sets the franchise back 2-3 years, and I would like to see what this core could do rather than starting over. Drew Brees is a guy that really blossomed in his 3rd year as a starter. We need some patience and continuity.

Dan Henning has to go. David Lee makes the most sense as the OC, in terms of continuity. He can keep the same terminology and the same basic system, while adding his own nuances, which would hopefully be more aggressive.

And remember, we have to do this without a 2nd round pick. Meanwhile, the Pats have 8 picks in the first 4 rounds.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: December 15, 2010 06:09PM

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: December 15, 2010 07:00PM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 16, 2010 03:58AM

Not true. Put my house on Arizona picking a QB.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.