HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          this team has been poorly built.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
this team has been poorly built.
Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: November 18, 2010 06:37PM

For a head coach who is a former o-line coach, Sparano hasn't done crap to build a stout, dominating o-line.
Other than Long, the rest of the line is mediocre to poor at best.
Pat White!?? Are you F-ing kidding me?? Those are the type of draft moves that set teams back years.
Sean Smith!?? What a gutless wonder this guy is. Another wasted pick.
Sapp?? Harris?? More garbage. Terrible secondary.

Get Ireland the F out of there and bring in someone who is more consistent evaluating talent. For every hit, he's got 4-5 misses.
Not good enough!!

The only consistent thing about this team is they disappoint every year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: this team has been poorly built.
Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: November 18, 2010 06:39PM

Yes disappoint they do, @#$%& this team I really am starting not to give a @#$%&. Almost comical to watch. Wait till the jets and pats play us lol. Pats 100-0 and jets the same

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 19, 2010 04:47AM

dolfan1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes disappoint they do,

Yoda? is that you?

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 19, 2010 07:01AM

You need to make hay in the first four rounds of the draft. This is where you build the core of the team. Those guys in the top 4 rounds need to be contributors.

Shawn Murphy (4th rd, 2008)- our guard play has been awful. A 4th rd pick at G is a guy who is supposed to stick. This is a wasted pick that has hurt us.

Pat White (2nd rd, 2009)- this was a pure luxury pick, a guy drafted to be used as a gimmick player. That was a waste on a team that was trying to rebuild. This could have gone toward any number of players that would have been more useful.

Patrick Turner (3rd rd, 2009)- This was a pure reach. It was a panic pick. There was a run on receivers early in the 3rd round, and in desperation, they took Turner. No one rated him a 3rd rd pick. Mel Kiper said he shouldn't have been drafted. Again, had they not reached, they could have made a better value pick here.

That's 3 wasted picks that could have helped build our depth. It's too soon to tell on this year's picks. Odrick is out for the year. Misi has shown some flashes, but he's also still struggling mightily to set the edge against the run. Jerry has been lousy. Maybe Edds will show something next year.

We still have a lot of holes to fill.

Posted by: sconigli ()
Date: November 19, 2010 07:22AM

Mark,

Great analysis. I agree completely. I felt as much when those duds were taken (especially Pat White).

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: November 19, 2010 07:41AM

thats why there rookies they make mistakes wait until next year and the year after that, then grade them.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 20, 2010 10:46AM

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: November 20, 2010 11:31AM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 20, 2010 05:53PM

This regime, outside a couple lousy picks, has done a great job building a foundation for this franchise.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: November 20, 2010 06:54PM

Priority #1 in building a winning football team is O-LINE!
Everything hinges on the quality of the o-line, The running game, the passing game, converting 3rd downs, scoring TDs in the red zone. Everything.
In 3 yrs this regime hasn't done a very good job IMO. We've got the anchor LT, but that's it. Seems it just hasn't been given a high enough priority with this group.
After LT, the C position is critical, and we still have a huge hole there. How can that not have been resolved yet?!!
Because of some brutal high round draft picks that could have been used to shore up the most critical element, the o-line.
Bottom line: poor management.

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: November 20, 2010 11:50PM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This staff is not as bad as you guys are saying.
> Let me break it down for you.
>
> 2008
> 1) Jake long- solid
> 2) Phillip merling (solid DE, give us great depth
> without losing alot)
> 3) Kendall Langford (absolute beast, what a steal
> in the 3rd round)
> 6) Donald thomas (has potential but could not stay
> healthy)
>
> 2009
> 1) Vontae Davis (he is still a work in progress
> but has alot of potential)
> 2) Sean smith (at 6'4'' he is perfect for his new
> job as the guy that shuts down the other teams top
> TE)
> 4) Brian hartline (not a big fan of his but you
> have to admit all he does is make plays)
> 5) Chris Clemons (solid tackler)
>
> 2010 (we will see)
> however, odrick, misi, J. Jerry, Carol, and
> R.Jones have all already contributed and three and
> potentially a fourth (R. Jones) have starts
>
>
> We have had some quality draft picks? I would
> give them a B

Brian Hartline is a steal for me he is a big part of the offense! Don't forget we nabbed Cameron Wake from the CFL for free as well!!!!

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 21, 2010 06:20AM

Merling has been a disappointment. Remember, the Pats had no first round pick that year, so Merling was basically a first rounder. If they felt that Merling was going to be a good starter, they wouldn't have made the move for Odrick. While he can still be valuable as a member of the DE rotation, his status as such a high pick makes that disappointing. And with how well McDaniel has played of late, don't be surprised if the team grabs another NT to split time with Soliai, and uses Langford, Odrick, Starks, and McDaniel as the DE rotation, and Merling gets traded or released.

The lost picks of White and Turner are particularly damaging. Those are high enough picks where you really need to get contributors, and instead, both are off the roster after one season.

And the other really disturbing problem for this regime is that they doled out $75M worth of contracts to Justin Smiley, Jake Grove, and Gibril Wilson. And those positions still don't have definitive answers as to who will man them long term.

I don't believe Sean Smith will be on the team much longer. Not unless he takes a giant step up in performance. He looks stiff in coverage, and doesn't have the smoothness needed to stay with smaller, quicker receivers. And he is way too soft a player to move to safety. His run support is pathetic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.