HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Interesting queston about Sean Smith.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Interesting queston about Sean Smith.
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: November 11, 2010 06:00AM

Now that we have Harris, I waunder with his size and speed if we wouldnt use Smith as a OLB on a few plays where we know the offense is going to be passing with like 4 or 5 wide outs?

What you think? I would do it, depending upon the play, he is 6-3 and over 200 pounds and he is fast so I mean it wouldnt be crazy or would it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting queston about Sean Smith.
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 11, 2010 06:06AM

OLB??!!! Huh? The main knock on him is he isn't physical enough. If we didn't want to try him at FS, I doubt he'd make any sense at OLB.

Date: November 11, 2010 06:08AM

Well they used him to cover TE's when Allen was playing? I'm just saying like on obvious passing downs I.E 3rd in long I would max protect you know. Take out Misi and implant Smith to cover the TE or extra WR. Just a thought true about his supposide lack of physicallity but reall go look at the past couple games he played, he has made some solid tackles.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 11, 2010 06:19AM

That is the worst idea I have ever heard.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: November 11, 2010 06:26AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is the worst idea I have ever heard.

Gee how didnt I see you typing somthing on the lines of that?

Tell me then since it is such a bad idea please tell me why in your thoughts that it is the worlds most horrible idea that you have ever heard of in your whole entire life!!

Date: November 11, 2010 06:36AM

No response yet huh Aqua, sounds like your just a one horse sled.

It's apparent all you want to do is come on here and make a horrible one line attempt to make fun of a fellow dolphin fan that is expressive.

Basically what I am saying is you come across as a chat forum bully.

Sad really man you could have typed anything, anything somthing like well you know its a interesting idea, because of his physical attributes, but I don't think it would work because of yata yata yata, no no you Sir take the classic rout of 5th graderness in "ITS THE WORST IDEA IVE EVER READ!!!!"

Meaning you could give a rats' ass about anything Miami Dolphin related, and just get your kicks out of annoying others and If I'm wrong then prove it by giving somthing to debate, and stop being a forum bully.

Ive also yet to see your toast of beer in another thread which further depicts my assessment on you is dead on.

Only you have the power to change that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2010 06:39AM by Mia1.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 11, 2010 07:10AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> Well they used him to cover TE's when Allen was
> playing? I'm just saying like on obvious passing
> downs I.E 3rd in long I would max protect you
> know. Take out Misi and implant Smith to cover the
> TE or extra WR. Just a thought true about his
> supposide lack of physicallity but reall go look
> at the past couple games he played, he has made
> some solid tackles.

I didn't get to watch the Cincy game (wasn't broadcast where I live), and I didn't watch the Baltimore game (too painful, even though I had it on my DVR)....so you may be right about Smith improving his tackling. Still, even on obvious passing downs sometimes teams run instead. An OLB needs to be physical enough to help in run support. An OLB also needs to always be a threat to rush the QB. I don't think Smith fits that.

I'm still curious why we haven't tried him at FS, though. Sure, he doesn't make crushing hits, but with the rule changes this might be an advantage (because he's not accustomed to making hard hits). If he has ball hawk skills and can tackle, he's certainly got the size to play FS.

Date: November 11, 2010 07:17AM

I didnt respond because I actually have a life and dont spend every single second on this site.

The idea is retarded and I dont have to even respond as to why.....waste of my time.

---------------------

Date: November 11, 2010 07:30AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> I didnt respond because I actually have a life and
> dont spend every single second on this site.
>
> The idea is retarded and I dont have to even
> respond as to why.....waste of my time.

Oh well you had the time to respond to it, just not in a mature manner, remember you said AND I QUOTE, "That is the worst idea I have ever heard".

Got ya I understand some people it is very difficult to think and therefore is a waste of their time to come up with a valid point.

Now knowing your one of them then I will keep in mind you may have special needs, and will lay off the defensive attempt to get you to start being a more respectfull poster, that makes a compelling point to things. Come on man why keeping doing this? Why not just be friendly?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2010 07:54AM by Mia1.

Date: November 11, 2010 07:42AM

Ok Montei I see your point, but was just saying because he is not your average 6"0 CB but instead a 6-3 big guy who can blow up a RB, that on a obvious passing play situation that he is not your average CB, that yeah it would be unconventional just waundering could it work, that way we could maximize our pass protection long enough to help Wake and Company sack the QB.

At least have him spying on the RB so that a screen or somthing wouldnt get totaly blown up.

I know it's a crazy Idea but like I pointed out he is like the Biggest CB in the league well at least that starts.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: November 11, 2010 11:00AM

I've said it right after we drafted him that his size and speed make him a more natural fit at FS.
If he can hit the weight room, add a few lbs while maintaining his speed, I think he could be a legit FS.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: November 11, 2010 11:10AM

NO.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 11, 2010 11:34AM

Mia-
He kind of takes on that role, when they put him on the TE's. Against GB and Minnesota etc. Last week they pretty much put him man on man alot against Boldin. Smith does a good job of covering the big recievers or TE. Who is suppose to cover the TE normally', none other then Lb's and or safety. So Smith is defintely some kind of Hybrid. If you put him on smaller quick guys, he can have some trouble. His tackling has improved as well. So I think, how SMith is played will change from week to week. If a TE is beating, who ever is suppose to be covering him, they will put SMith on the guy all day and feel good. If they fear a big strong receiver like Boldin, he will be a CB all day.

Date: November 11, 2010 02:48PM

Ok so the utility man then I guess, so it wouldnt be out of the realm of possibility of the defense to use 5 db's on certain plays since Smith is so big.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 11, 2010 04:54PM

He is way too soft and shies away from hits too much to be a LB.

Date: November 11, 2010 05:05PM

I'm not trying to make him a LB just saying why have a OLB cover a te, or a big wr on a big passing down when we can substitue for a 6-3 CB on that down, and keep another CB to really shut down that play.

5 DB's instead of 4 with Misi chasing a TE.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 11, 2010 05:09PM

now that henne is on the bench, why not try him at ILB?

Date: November 11, 2010 05:14PM

lol.

---------------------

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 11, 2010 05:18PM

Mia1 Wrote:
> I'm not trying to make him a LB just saying why
> have a OLB cover a te, or a big wr on a big
> passing down when we can substitue for a 6-3 CB on
> that down, and keep another CB to really shut down
> that play.
>
> 5 DB's instead of 4 with Misi chasing a TE.

One reason would be that he would be a really inviting target to run the ball at.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.