HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Great Idea on the excessive hit and fines debate
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Great Idea on the excessive hit and fines debate
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 05, 2010 02:20PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Idea on the excessive hit and fines debate
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 05, 2010 05:39PM

You want to create a bounty fund? I don't think that will fly.

Posted by: opus ()
Date: November 06, 2010 01:59PM

I don't think he is advocating a bounty fund. That would be a fund paying players "to hit" other players. This would pay those that take the hits. I don't think it is a bad idea. It is still up to the commisioner to fine the player, so it isn't like anyone is going to try and collect on a hit, they would only get paid if the commioner feels the hit met the requirements. Something has to stop these blatant hits that it is now well documented can lead to permanent damage. Merril Hoge has come out and stated that he had to "relearn" how to READ after his playing days. Seriously, this is an acceptable consequence of playing a sport in this day and age??

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: November 07, 2010 02:39AM

Problem with this is certain players would just go out of there way to plead a big hit, and overact to recieve money, would be a horrible idea with all the cheap skate pri madons out there, good idea, just would really backfire in the real world.

Date: November 07, 2010 05:14AM

Mia1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Problem with this is certain players would just go
> out of there way to plead a big hit, and overact
> to recieve money, would be a horrible idea with
> all the cheap skate pri madons out there, good
> idea, just would really backfire in the real
> world.

MIA, I hear what you are saying in theory, but I dont think it would be a problem. First, most of the time when I guy takes a helmet to helmet hit, especially one that is fined, the guy is not getting up. Could you imagine Desean Jackson getting up after that hit from Dunta Robinson, making sure he was fined.... lol... Desean Jackson probably didnt even know who he was for at least 24 hours. Or Heap after the Merriweather shot. Also most of the fines that have been handed out as of late, were not even penalized plays. It is a league decision, not a referee's decision so assuming the player was conscious and not being carried off the field, pleading to the referee is pointless. MIA, I am not sure what real world you are talking about?

All that I am saying is Desean Jackson should have gotten the 50 grand that Dunta Robinson had to pay for taking Jackson's head off, not the player association fund. Desean has to deal with the consequences of the head hunting on his brain. He should reap the reward of the fine, since he is the one who made the sacrifice or took the brunt of the pain and discomfort.

1) Players affected by fined hits, 90% of the time are carried of the field

2) The referee's on the field are not who hands out the fines, so pleading to them is pointless. Overreacting cheap shot pri madonas players, would have zero effect. Unless the players sits out the rest of the game, like most players who are injured from these fined hits. And then the leauge could judge each case as they do now,

Date: November 07, 2010 05:43AM

Crowder when people get into accidents auto accidents how many times to people cry wolf?

Yes in case's where guys get lit up ok, but what about the shady area's the hits that don't lay people out but are head to head?

Just saying it will add fuel to the fire is what I am saying, and is why you won't see this idea implemented in the real world.

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: November 07, 2010 06:38AM

i dont really like the idea of players getting fined for hits when there wasn't a penalty at that point the NFL is really turning this into the NFFL. If a player clearly led with his head into the head or neck of the other player ok fine him it was a cheapshot. When you hit Brett Favre and gash his chin, dont fine that guy, PAY him he did the NFL a favor in taking out favre even if it was only for the rest of the game.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Date: November 07, 2010 06:42AM

Mia-
Yeah but it wouldnt be like Aaron Rodgers calling for a roughing the passer flag every time he is remotely touched. And most of the time the ref's ignore Rodgers and he seldom gets the call because he is such a cry wolf. IMO what happens in the moment of the game and with the ref's are irrelevant, they dont hand out the fines and not issued for severl days later. If a guy fakes it or crys wolf, the league would be able to analyze it, and make an intelligent decision based on all of the facts, not an "in the moment call".

I hear what you are saying in that you have this vison of Football becoming like world cup soccer with constant fakers and majic healing spray... I hear your fears about it, but i dont think it would be the problem that you are worried it would become.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2010 06:45AM by Crowder52.

Date: November 07, 2010 06:55AM

g_fish55
I agree and disagree. The guy that hit farve was just playing football his intent was not to ripp farves head off. I think the QB's are getting alot of BS calls and are being over protected. That play we had last week, where CInincinatti got a first down at the end of the game, on that BS call against STarks I think it was, was beyound ridiculous. Calls like that are a problem and are game changers in most situations.

Now as far as Safety's intending to take a vulnerables recievers head off, I think that is BS, and cheap. You can rock a WR going across the middle with out taking his head off. However safetys' know and want recievers to fear going across the middle, so they want to kill a guy and feel insulted if a WR's exploits them down the middle. If you take a WR head off, a safety, feels he is either out of the game or will never attempt that again. So a good majority of the secondary intentionally try and punish WR's with stunning head shot, with intent to knock the guy out. IMO Something has to change regarding defenseless players in the act of catching the ball and head shots.

Date: November 07, 2010 07:16AM

Well Crowder we both make valid points so hey? lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.