HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Stupidity
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stupidity
Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: October 17, 2010 11:52AM

I'm glad we won, but this team is about one of the stupidest teams I've ever seen.

Safeties with backs turned to the LOS when the QB walks in.
Kneeling instead of attempting a Hail Mary.
Running three consecutive pass plays at the beginning of OT.
Letting the Pac's best WR just run open on 4th and long.
Holding on a field goal attempt.
Getting up and running with the ball on short kickoff.
Wasting all timeouts before the end of any half, game after game.

This team seems to have the attitude of "play harder, not smarter". No way this game should have even been close.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 11:54AM by DolfanMike.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stupidity
Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: October 17, 2010 11:53AM

I agree with most of those.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 17, 2010 12:06PM

I was going to start a thread of my own, DolfanMike.

I have come to a hard and sad conclusion.

Yes, Wanny and Cam, were bad at drafting players and let good players go.

Yes, Wanny and Cam lost games.

However, they were better for my digestion because what is worse than having poor teams is having good teams that you mismanage into losses.

This was another example of a game we should have won easily but almost lost twice.

I can talk myself hoarse, but this coaching staff goes AWAY FROM WHAT IS WORKING before the other team learns to stop it.

They don't even go away from it when it is stopped once. They go away from it on their own.

Nothing was stopping our running game but our coaching staff.

They have that simple minded philosophy....We've got to mix it up.

Really???? Why???????? You mix it up when they stop what you are doing. You don't stop yourself.

Even the broadcasting crew was commenting as we were going like Csonka and Kiick that "This is just good ole fashioned football." We were just running it down their throat in the 3rd quarter.

So, after a while our coaching staff says, "Sigh....that's enough of that." And we let them back in the game.

And it seems the defensive coaching staff has the same philosophy. They really couldn't run worth a damn and we were putting lights out pressure on Rodgers, who, like at Cal, gets "silly" when you pressure him.

So, what does our imbecilic coaching staff decide to do, they decide to say, "It's obvious he can't pass so let's dial back the pass rush and play coverage."

What idiots. I'd rather have Wanny and Cam. At least I wasn't as aggravated.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: October 17, 2010 12:10PM

Could be worse. We could have Brad Childress or Wade Phillips...

Date: October 17, 2010 12:14PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> And it seems the defensive coaching staff has the
> same philosophy. They really couldn't run worth a
> damn and we were putting lights out pressure on
> Rodgers, who, like at Cal, gets "silly" when you
> pressure him.
>

I disagree with this point a bit. Rodgers doesn't get that "silly", he got nailed hard three times in the final drive and scored a TD with his feet.

We have to mix up the blitz and coverage - particularly since Wake was playing so well we didn't need to blitz. IMO, the defensive breakdowns came when the defenders decided to let GB's best WR run free for a 4th down, and then our Safeties seemed to have zero clue on that 4th and goal. This is more base stupidity than the blitz/no-blitz mix, which, IMO, wasn't that much of an issue.

Date: October 17, 2010 12:15PM

TheFutt Wrote:
> Could be worse. We could have Brad Childress or
> Wade Phillips...

Or Cam Cameron or Nick Saban or Dave Wannsteadt. Oh wait it was worse.

We've had such bad coaching for so long, that we don't know what decent coaching is.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 17, 2010 12:41PM

No point in discussing prior coaching staff--there is clearly a wacky philosophy on offense. If changing schemes is designed to get the D off balance, all it is doing is stopping momentum. This approach seems to occur every week. Play calling and use of the clock is without rhyme of reason.

On defense of the goal line, what was all that "confusion?" After stopping them we let the QB waltz in because of inattentiveness? DUH! And that occurs after a Dolphins time out. What did they discuss? Puzzling.

Don't ge me wrong, I'm happy for the win, but there sure are a lot of areas that need to be fixed.

Date: October 17, 2010 02:24PM

Yeah, Colonel. Even though I've been preaching about the stupidity of our coaching staff, even I was embarrassed that they fell for the oldest trick in the book on that 4 and inches at the goalline and instead of bunching up for the goal line thrust the offense speads out the receivers and empties the backfield and the quarterback goes back into the shotgun formation.

In all of the 50 years I've been watching football every damn time the quarterback THEN runs back up under center and quarterback sneaks.

You know I actually laughed at our team. Fell for the oldest trick in the book.

This is utterly embarrassing.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 17, 2010 03:07PM

Did someone named cameron comparing him to sparano......please dont do that....Cameron sucked in single thing he did as a miami dolphins coach.

Date: October 17, 2010 04:30PM

Yes he did suck at everything....errr...everything except play calling that is. And our plans aren't being called by Sparano. They are being called by Henning.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: October 17, 2010 05:22PM

I have an idea.........F&&K Dan Henning....he is the mastermind behind most of these stupid plays

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: October 17, 2010 05:59PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Yeah, Colonel. Even though I've been preaching
> about the stupidity of our coaching staff, even I
> was embarrassed that they fell for the oldest
> trick in the book on that 4 and inches at the
> goalline and instead of bunching up for the goal
> line thrust the offense speads out the receivers
> and empties the backfield and the quarterback goes
> back into the shotgun formation.
>
> In all of the 50 years I've been watching football
> every damn time the quarterback THEN runs back up
> under center and quarterback sneaks.
>
> You know I actually laughed at our team. Fell for
> the oldest trick in the book.
>
> This is utterly embarrassing.

I think this is tradition for us. We do it at least once a year.

Date: October 17, 2010 06:32PM

chatafkup Wrote:
> I have an idea.........F&&K Dan Henning....he is
> the mastermind behind most of these stupid plays

That ain't gonna happen. Henning is going to take Sparano down with him.

Posted by: rick1355 ()
Date: October 17, 2010 08:58PM

NO "hail mary .......... WTF ? DoLphins are getting weird with the play calling and look very confused at times !

Posted by: Fin fan24 ()
Date: October 17, 2010 10:14PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Yes he did suck at everything....errr...everything
> except play calling that is. And our plans aren't
> being called by Sparano. They are being called by
> Henning.

Thank goodness Sparano is not calling our Plans out ahead of time

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: October 18, 2010 04:51AM

Hey you guys ready for the Dan Henning removal train!!!! Ive been conducting this bad boy since Boise!! lol.... CHUGA CHUGA CHOO CHOOO CHOOOOOOO

Posted by: Welead ()
Date: October 18, 2010 05:11AM

You would have to add Henne's poor drive killing picks in that list to make it credible. QB1 is the most important position on the field, it's the position that every Super Bowl bound team has nailed down. Relying on a QB to "manage" the game just isn't going to get it done. That's what we did with Fielder for eons.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 18, 2010 05:39AM

The same stupid guy Henning called a pretty brilliant play, on the TE screen with Long leading the way, that scored a much needed TD. He also ran the ball fairly well and got the ball to Marshall a bunch to start the game off until they started basicly triple covering him... Henning did not call a perfect game, but he called a better one then his opponent and in the NFL that is what you got to do from week to week. The blown play was really on the other side of the ball, that OB sneak to tie the game from Rodgers. But as I said before , same with Nolan, he called a better game then his opponent as well.

AS far as the lack of throwing the Hell Mary, that just is not Sparanos game. He didnt want to give up a interception or something worse on a luck play. He didnt want to give them the momentum on a low chance play. He believed in his defense, offense and kicker. And that is what he wanted his team to know. The only way Sparano is wrong with that call is had we lost, but guess what we won and he wasnt wrong by not calling the play. He never calls a play like that, so doing it then would have been uncharacteristic and or desperate, which is not what he was nor, wanted to instill in his team! If you have a philosophy as a team and or a coach, you dont abandon those philosophies in the most critical moments! You stick with them, believe, overcome and conqeur! Our players are lucky to be coached by Sparano

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: October 18, 2010 05:53AM

Crowder52, you beat me to it. You are correct. You took the emotion out of it with this logical response. Thanks.thumbs up

Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 18, 2010 06:45AM

I'm starting to believe some of you were only hoping for the Hail Mary play because you really wanted Henne to throw another interception, so that he would have another negative statistic for you to get all excited about.

Date: October 18, 2010 08:20AM

4 seconds left Henne has a rockett, we have Brandon Marshall and two other sure handed WR's BESS, AND Hartline, and your only valid point is to bestow confidance in our defense.

Yes it was stupid not to take a shot, guess who does on a regular basis.

Bill Belecheck, Heck most teams that have a legit QB would have done the hail mary, we had nothing to lose really.

How many Int's on hail mary's have been returned to be a td?

I mean In the words of Deion, and Company C'mon man!!

Dan Henning did a decent job today, to not totaly shoot ourselves in the foot.

Maybe he is starting to get the picture? Who knows I don't like the guy he was at one time great.

I don't think he is now thats all.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 18, 2010 08:31AM

and if he throws a pick and they return it for a TD then we lose the game.........

We won period....Stop complaining...

Date: October 18, 2010 08:34AM

Its noobish mistakes, thats what some on here are complaining about, not that we didnt win a ugly game, but some decisions that would/could have made it so much easier.

It's not like its a once in a while kinda thing, its the same thing's week end and week out, which need's to be addressed like last year!!

You want some positive stuff here ya go GOOD JOB on the 4th and 1 I loved the call, and we made it even though the ref's blew it.

That was a awsome call, so was the challenge to review it. There and Henning made the call for our second TD good job Henning, and Sparano for making a couple nice calls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 08:35AM by Mia1.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 18, 2010 09:00AM

Firstly, I personally would have thrown the hail mary in the admittidly unlikely hope we convert it.

I understand where Sparano was coming from though...the way our special teams has been playing lately and considering the way we lost the last two games. The team more than likely wouldn't have been able to recover from a third consecutive loss on a lucky play like a intercepted hail mary returned for a TD... another play like that causing us to lose the third game in a row could have seriously effected the psyche of the team and tanked the entire season.

Conservative is the mantra and what this team is, through and through.

I think the coaches get impatent at times, and try to out think the opponent. Unfortunately, when they do it, they all too often, out cute themselves.

Date: October 18, 2010 09:01AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Crowder52, you beat me to it. You are correct. You
> took the emotion out of it with this logical
> response. Thanks.thumbs up

RESPONSE: I disagree. The tight end screen worked but was almost blown up. Moreover, I have been defending Chad Henne to the HILT on this board but of all our three quarterbacks, he was the LAST one I would have chosen to throw that pass. We were lucky it did not end up in the third row. (I'm not saying that we should have substituted quarterbacks because that would have brought about suspicion and ruined the whole element of surprise).

Nonetheless, it was a high-risk play that almost failed. Moreover, why the hell were we in that position in the first place? Other stupid plays he called. Yeah, I saw the TV coverage pan to the stands and tip their hat to him. But he was the same idiot who put us in that position in the first place.

So the fact that he calls a high risk play that nearly blows up on us and one that was dependent on the key defender taking himself out of position and it succeeds, hardly justifies the high-fiving and glorification you two are doing of an idiot.

A truly brilliant call is a simple play that has relatively low risk that catches the defense with their pants down. errrrrrrrrrrrr.....say a quarterback sneak on 4th and one inch to go for goal???????????????

Date: October 18, 2010 09:01AM

That is a very good point, and I will agree with that Ken. Still they wouldnt run it back even if they did, they would just fall down with it.

Date: October 18, 2010 09:04AM

Amen ChrynB dead on baby!! That forth and qb sneak was brilliant.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: October 18, 2010 09:14AM

Going back to the 4th and 1 call. I know we made it and the refs blew that call but....

Why not take the FG? All else being equal, we would've won in regulation.

Don't get me wrong...at the time, I liked the call. But that's emotions getting the better of me. Coaches are supposed to be able to overcome those emotions and think clearly in that situation. A FG is the safe call and probably the best choice especially given the results of the third down attempt.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 18, 2010 10:24AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
>
>
> RESPONSE: I disagree. The tight end screen
> worked but was almost blown up. Moreover, I have
> been defending Chad Henne to the HILT on this
> board but of all our three quarterbacks, he was
> the LAST one I would have chosen to throw that
> pass. We were lucky it did not end up in the third
> row. (I'm not saying that we should have
> substituted quarterbacks because that would have
> brought about suspicion and ruined the whole
> element of surprise).
>
> Nonetheless, it was a high-risk play that almost
> failed. Moreover, why the hell were we in that
> position in the first place? Other stupid plays
> he called. Yeah, I saw the TV coverage pan to the
> stands and tip their hat to him. But he was the
> same idiot who put us in that position in the
> first place.
>
> So the fact that he calls a high risk play that
> nearly blows up on us and one that was dependent
> on the key defender taking himself out of position
> and it succeeds, hardly justifies the high-fiving
> and glorification you two are doing of an idiot.
>
> A truly brilliant call is a simple play that has
> relatively low risk that catches the defense with
> their pants down. errrrrrrrrrrrr.....say a
> quarterback sneak on 4th and one inch to go for
> goal???????????????

Listen man Henning set up that play all day, with Henne rolling out. When you roll out a QB is never suppose to throw back against the field of play, so all of the secondary and Lb's roll out with the QB leaving the other side of the field completely open. There was no RB on that side, so they didnt fear the screen. The play was perfectly executed, if you dont draw the DE and OLB towards the QB and away from the screen blocker and TE, it doesnt work. That play was perfect call and perfect execution. Saying it almost blew up, is not a defense for it being a bad play. Every great play in the NFL this weeks was probably almost blown up, as everyone says the NFL is a game of inches. It was a great play, get over it!

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: October 18, 2010 10:25AM

ChyrenB. You can't be serious. The TE screen was a great call and the play did not almost blow up. What are you looking at. I guess you mean the fact that Henne had pressure. Well that is the way a screen is suppose to work. You let the pressure come in then get the ball out at the last second with a blocker in front. Great play and great call. Worked exactly as drawn up.

Why don't give credit where credit is due? That was the call of the game.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.