HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Keys to the Game....@ Minnesooodah.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Keys to the Game....@ Minnesooodah.
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 14, 2010 12:06PM

Keys to the game...IMO

We HAVE to stop the run. Childress will be looking to establish that early as Favre has few targets to throw to and is struggling to find a go to guy. We must shut down the TE (Shiancoe) and stop the run as we did vs Buffalo but it won't be as easy.

Another way to neutralize AP....build a lead early so they have to throw...then pressure Favre and force int's. He is good at that. Wake looks better coming off the left side and RT Loadholt can be beat by a speed rush.

We also must have success to our TE and down field to Marshall.

Their D-line is awesome and they protect a mediocre LB'er crew. We need to exploit the LB'ers with mismatches....Bess, Ricky and Ronnie in the passing game...Marshall over the middle.

I also think our receivers are better than their secondary. Winfield is good but B-Marshall is better. Someone has to exploit Lito Sheppard as he is not that good. Winfield we be covering BM along with safety help. Time for Hartline to show the glimmer he had last year....but it may be Fasano that benefits from Marshall's presence again.

Thoughts?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Keys to the Game....@ Minnesooodah.
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 05:10PM

lots of good points however i disagree with their linebackers being mediocre. EJ Henderson is very good and Chad Greenway is one of the most underrated defensive players in the league. Their front seven is very very good and it will be a battle to run the ball and protect henne. henne will have to step up and throw the ball around a bit. Their secondary is suspect and it has to be exploited through Marshall

Date: September 14, 2010 05:39PM

Ok...I retract...I will give you EJ and Chad but Leber is not that good. I still think we have to create mismatches with the LB'ers though.

Henne WILL be under pressure and without extra pass protection, we will have to find a way to get the ball out of his hands quickly. Our backs gave up two sacks last week and Carey gave up the other....to no names in Buffalo???

So....we need to force the LB'ers to cover someone with speed but who is that? Bess may be in for about 10 catches this week in the slot even though he is quicker than fast.

Henne may not have time to hit anyone deep so it's either Marshall or Bess over the middle. We can't rely on play action if we can't run in them.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 06:01PM

I watched NO dominate Minn front 4.

The Williams duo are old, and on the brink of retirement.

We will get over 140 yards rushing, and I believe Henne will prob throw for around 200 yards, and one TD.

I can't wait for our O-line to gel, but Carey is not playing like he used too, and again Berger is not the answer at C.

Henne better suit up, and get it done, because Vishancoe is going to go to town on us.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 06:32PM

your right leber is average. i think moving Marshall around and lining him up in different places will be key to creating mismatches. look for the backs to be busy helping chip block allen and edwards. mia1, i dont think shiancoe will cause to many problems, i mean that is why we got dansby. to cover good TE. dansby will do work on shiancoe and might even get a pick cuz favre will likely force a pass in there.

mia1, it will be interesting to see if minnesota's dline is regressing (i find this unlikely) or if the Saints offensive line just played a great game. OR a combination of the two.

Posted by: yavozerb ()
Date: September 15, 2010 04:36AM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> your right leber is average. i think moving
> Marshall around and lining him up in different
> places will be key to creating mismatches. look
> for the backs to be busy helping chip block allen
> and edwards. mia1, i dont think shiancoe will
> cause to many problems, i mean that is why we got
> dansby. to cover good TE. dansby will do work on
> shiancoe and might even get a pick cuz favre will
> likely force a pass in there.
>
> mia1, it will be interesting to see if minnesota's
> dline is regressing (i find this unlikely) or if
> the Saints offensive line just played a great
> game. OR a combination of the two.

I wouldn't look to much into the saints game honestly. I have seen a couple of vikes over the years and they are monsters at home, especially there defense. They are going to come after henne and I think if henne has to throw more than 35 times in this game the phins are in trouble. It all comes down to running the ball and controlling the clock on offense for the phins have any chance of pulling out a Win.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2010 04:38AM by yavozerb.

Date: September 15, 2010 04:45AM

Minnesota only allowed 87 ypg rushing last year. 2nd in the league. If we can run on them it would surprise/impress me. They were 18th in pass defense last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2010 04:46AM by eesti.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 15, 2010 05:46AM

I think they keys to the game are, dont give up the big plays on defense and dont turn the ball over on offense. Spread the ball around on offense, and contain AP on defense.

Posted by: vikeinmontana ()
Date: September 15, 2010 06:16AM

some good points guys. i'll chime in a few. first, as someone already mentioned our linebackers are actually very good. i would actually contest they are under-rated because our front four is so good. our secondary is a different story. we were pretty mediocre there anyway but are not even weaker there do to injuries. most vikes fans were very happy with how they played against the saints because after that first drive it looked like the saints were going to score fifty! i don't think our front four is regressing at all. in fact, i think they are our best unit on the team. people were saying that the williams's were getting old last year too and they both still had a great season. but you are right, pat IS getting old and this is likely his last year. but he is still playing at a high level so i wouldn't disregard him just yet. we got allen at end who constantly draws double teams which is really benefitting our other end ray edwards. as with most of our opponents, your oline better be ready to work because if they are not playing well the phins are in for a long game. on the flip side, if your oline is giving henne some time back there he is good enough and our secondary is weak enough where he could have a very good outing!

as for the vikes offense, it really hinges on the performance of OUR oline. favre is not very mobile and he's still trying to gain timing with his receivers. they need to play better and give him that time he needs to get on the same page. berrian needs to step up big time because we fans are really losing patience in him and i'd imagine our coaches must be too. i swear it seems like he drops EVERYTHING! i try not to hate on players but he has been very dissapointing so far. but shiancoe is going to have a great season (i predicted a probowl) and harvin is still a weapon. i love the addition of your guy camarillo and i expect him to get to play a lot more on sunday. really none of these guys matter if our line can open some holes for peterson. i think you guys will come away even more impressed with this guy after you see the holes he has to run through to get the yards he gets! frustrating to say the least.

as i mentioned before i think you guys are a playoff team this year and i think we are more evenly matched than the casual nfl fan probably thinks. in fact, and i said this in the other thread, i think our biggest advantage is that we are playing at home! if this was in miami i'd be more inclined to pick the 'phins but based on the teams and the vikes playing their home opener i like the vikes by about a touchdown. i'm thinking somewhere around 31-24 or so...smileys with beer

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 15, 2010 08:58AM

vikeinmontana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as i mentioned before i think you guys are a
> playoff team this year and i think we are more
> evenly matched than the casual nfl fan probably
> thinks. in fact, and i said this in the other
> thread, i think our biggest advantage is that we
> are playing at home! if this was in miami i'd be
> more inclined to pick the 'phins but based on the
> teams and the vikes playing their home opener i
> like the vikes by about a touchdown. i'm thinking
> somewhere around 31-24 or so...smileys with beer

Good honest points Vike! If we give up 31 points we are defintely going to lose. To honestly expect to win this game against the VIkes, the Dolphins can't give up more then 17 to 21 points IMO.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: September 15, 2010 03:32PM

We are going to win this game 23-20.

I cant see us scoring more than 23 points, two td's and like 3 FG'S, with Minn scoring two td's and 2 FG's.

Just the way both teams play thats how the game should turn out.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 18, 2010 02:45AM

Heard a stat yesterday, ......Last time Fins opened up 2-0 with both wins on the road was in 1977!

Would be nice to pull that off again.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: September 18, 2010 05:09AM

I look at our schedule and wonder who we pissed off. I really do. It's freakin brutal!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 11:58AM

Good thread eesti.......

IMO it just comes down to this........

Just stop the run........And thats it...

I doubt not even farve and he is going downhill in his career...He cant make chicken soup out of chicken $HIT or however that saying goes..in other words..I dont think their receivers are that good.

Anyways even if we lose itll be a close game.JMHO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.