HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Langford's Ring
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Langford's Ring
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 01, 2010 01:01PM

Hey, just listening to the TV about Langford losing a ring valued at $50,000 on the practice field and practice was stopped while all were searching the field for it.

Let me hear the question asked that I know a bunch of you will ask.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Langford's Ring
Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: September 01, 2010 01:09PM

Just to clarify it was an earring not a finger ring. He forgot that he had it on and must have come loose when he put it on or took off his helmet.

Date: September 01, 2010 01:41PM

Really??? An EAR-ring worth $50,000? What about the future when you're not making those big bucks?

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 01, 2010 02:01PM

finders keepers

Date: September 01, 2010 02:06PM

Now, I wasn't going to say that but don't take anything from the fact that I would have like to have been included in the search.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: September 01, 2010 02:13PM

One, these people make way to much money.
Two, there should be a rule that all jewlery be left in the locker room.
Three, tough s..t. Keep the practice going.smileys with beer

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 01, 2010 03:34PM

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 01, 2010 04:44PM

Our football fore-fathers are flipping in their graves, "Practice was stopped to search for a D-linemans EARRING!"

LOL,,, Lyle Alzeda and John Matusak just would not relate!!

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: September 01, 2010 04:54PM

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: September 01, 2010 05:21PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our football fore-fathers are flipping in their
> graves, "Practice was stopped to search for a
> D-linemans EARRING!"

I wonder what Manny Fernandez thinks of this....

Date: September 01, 2010 05:22PM

smileys with beer

Date: September 01, 2010 05:25PM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 01, 2010 07:17PM

I would rather see Langford lose an earing during practice if the alternative is like what the Jets did and eat cheesburgers during drills during practice. That was a friggin joke. Then Rex yells at them about it and ends his meeting with..."now lets go eat"

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 02, 2010 05:16AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 02, 2010 07:36AM

Did they ever find it?

Date: September 02, 2010 07:45AM

No word yet that I know of.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 02, 2010 08:05AM

In other news, the groundskeeper just bought a boat.

Date: September 02, 2010 09:44AM

Ha, ha, JC. Tsstamper, that was my point. The thing of it is that you hear stories about these athletes being broke and having to exist on the charity of other athletes and the fans. It makes us all feel so bad.

There should be counseling to these athletes (you'd think their agents would do it but they're just concerned with their percentage) telling them that their salaries, though huge, must last a lifetime after the point that they no longer can play. They all cannot be broadcasters and certainly not all can do product endorsements. And even that pay does not equal their athlete salaries.

Yet, they blindly operate as if their high salaries will go on forever. I think that the teams that make far more money off these athletes than even they do should be required to provide a counseling session each year of the athlete's contract paid for by the team to, if the athlete allows them, survey their spending habits and provide them with a projection of when the money will run out. Of course, I recognize the unintended consequences might be that the athlete will demand just that more in salary which in turn will allow him to spend more which in turn would work against the very reason for the counseling.

But I just think something should be done.

Date: September 02, 2010 10:30AM

Mark Brunell who made $52 mill over his career filed for Chap 11 bankruptcy.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: September 02, 2010 10:37AM

That is just sad. I don't feel for him, he can always make decent money, even if it's not millions, and at least he got to live the good life.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 02, 2010 11:17AM

I think that spending habits rank right up there with family, Spirituality, core beliefs, etc. that give insight into a person's makeup and philosophy of life. Again, I want to stress that I probably don't have the first clue about NFL player culture, but this episode strengthens the perception that playing a game at an elite level does not equate to making good decisions - financial or otherwise. I think I read somewhere that he didn't insure the earring. Who among us has a piece of property worth $50k that isn't insured? This is simple financial blocking & tackling!

According to Phinzmania's salary cap page, his salary + prorated bonus for 2009 was $585k, with $200k being bonus already paid. My guess is that it's similar for 2010 & 2011. He freakin' paid nearly 10% of his annual earnings for a shiny rock for his ear! Then (technically prior to the loss) he tells a reporter how his kid's birth has totally refocused him! (paraphrasing) Really!?!? I don't know what he drives or what kind of house he lives in, but if his taste in jewelry is any indication, he better be praying that (a) he stays healthy and (b) there continues to be demand for 3-4 DEs in 2012 or whenever the new CBA lets him be a FA. Otherwise, I could see how he could easily spend his way through $2M in his four years.

Chyren, I'm with you that something should be done...someone should tell these guys. My guess, things are being done and told...but they're largely falling on deaf ears. One of my passions is personal financial management - and I welcome the board to rail on me mercilessly for occasionally balancing the budget for fun on a Saturday night :-). I would love to show him how even just his rookie contract can make the difference between a great start to being set for life or a fast, fun four years on the way to welfare.

Date: September 02, 2010 11:33AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Mark Brunell who made $52 mill over his career
> filed for Chap 11 bankruptcy.

Maybe he wanted to liquidate his employee's retirement fund? There are a lot of reason rich people declare bankruptcy. Some times it makes them a lot of money, particularly if they are good at stashing cash.

Date: September 02, 2010 11:38AM

Read the story on Brunell, its because he lived the high life and blew every dime he made and then some.

Date: September 02, 2010 11:46AM

Cool Im glad he had fun, but who care's about Brunell? He never played for this team, and has really very little to do with this thread anyways, so why can't we just feel amazed at the stupidity of Langford for not insuring the ear-rings.

Date: September 02, 2010 11:50AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Read the story on Brunell, its because he lived
> the high life and blew every dime he made and then
> some.

I'm just thinking of reasons why I'd declare bankruptcy with that kind of dough.

I agree, it is ridiculous. What would I do with that kind of money? I'd probably buy a few nice pieces of property in select places, and maybe join one of those private plane clubs to get around. That ought to burn a whole 6M over my lifetime, max. Then what? A few cars, perhaps a yacht. Some decent threads, a bit of bling, race horses, sponsor an auto racing team, and purchase decent food on a daily bases. That ought to waste another 7M max over my life time. At that point I'm at a loss. Maybe one of those flights to the ISS on the Russian rocket. So, I'm up to $14M burned. The rest? Investments, tax shelters, maybe even a profitable business or two.

Yea, I don't get it either. Maybe its drugs and hoes? Crazy stupid.

Date: September 02, 2010 11:58AM

I knew it number one we are alot alike lol, except Id have a fishing boat with a bunch of classic taylored to my taste muscle cars.

I would also own a couple WW2 birds, and maybe a A-4 skywawk!!

Date: September 02, 2010 12:01PM

Mia1 Wrote:
> I knew it number one we are alot alike lol,

Somehow, I don't think so.

Date: September 02, 2010 12:03PM

ha ha ha ha!

Date: September 02, 2010 12:07PM

Really number one.

Let me see, hmm we like the Miami Dolphans, both think Mikeo can be over the top, and would spend alot of money in simular fashions.

HMMMMM you like beer? Woman? Fast Cars? RocknROll?

Date: September 02, 2010 12:17PM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.