HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Clemons a BUST!!!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Clemons a BUST!!!
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 31, 2010 06:11PM

steviec13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is how I based my thoughts on Clemons:
>
> I have season tix, and sat through the entire
> preseason game against Tampa and Jax.
>
> I specifically focussed on Clemons on every
> play....
>
> You can NOT do that watching the game on tv.
>
> The problem with Clemons is that he lacks the
> instincts needed by a safety...
>
> A safety is supposed to read the play quickly and
> react...
>
> Clemons is at least 1-2 seconds to late on every
> play. He also is a very poor tackler...
>
I'm not sure if his tackling could be improved, but his delay on reacting may likely be that he's thinking rather than reacting. That kind of thing should improve. If he didn't have the instincts, he'd be completely out of position rather than 1-2 seconds late.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: estrella69phinfan ()
Date: September 01, 2010 04:19AM

Can someone give clemmons a chance please?

Isnt it his second year just?

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: September 01, 2010 05:19PM

estrella69phinfan Wrote:
> Can someone give clemmons a chance please?
>
> Isnt it his second year just?

In the meantime, our FS position is a mess.

This is the NFL. If the guy needs more time to develop, he should be a backup or on the practice squad... Oh wait, we don't have anyone else.

The frustration is not with Clemons, it is with the front office that has failed to address this problem since it let our good FS go two years ago.

Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: September 01, 2010 05:58PM

Montequi:

The good safeties have instincts...They read plays quickly and are able to make plays on the ball...

1-2 seconds in a football play is 3-5 yards...

Analyzing Culver and even Amaya....they both have better instincts that Clemons...

Jeremia Bell is a top 5 safety in this league because he has a nose for the ball...

It wouldn't hurt us to try Culver at starter with Bell....You guys will be very surprised...

I am not saying to write Clemons off just yet...But he is no where near to starting material just yet...

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 01, 2010 07:27PM

How is that anyone here has established whether or not Chris Clemons is any good? We have not seen him play. He got very limited snaps last season. And he's played probably just over 1 game's worth of snaps in this preseason. As fans, we all like to think we know stuff. But, when it comes to secondary play, we know nothing. We have no idea what kind of coverage scheme is being used, and who made what read, and how that read then impacted someone else, etc. This happens all the time. You will hear fans on message boards blasting a member of the secondary because it looked like he gave up a big play, just because that player happened to be closest to the action. But, we have no idea if that player had that coverage responsibility. Now, the coaches do know what guys are supposed to be doing. And the coaches seem to be happy with Clemons. If Clemons was playing like garbage, Tyrone Culver or Reshad Jones would at least get a look. And, the Fins' front office has not done anything desperate to try to get a replacement in here. That tells me that the coaching staff is at least fairly happy with Clemons. And they know a lot more about Clemons than any of us here do. Give him a chance.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 02, 2010 02:20AM

steviec13 Wrote:
> Montequi:
>
> The good safeties have instincts...They read plays
> quickly and are able to make plays on the ball...
>
> 1-2 seconds in a football play is 3-5 yards...
>
> Analyzing Culver and even Amaya....they both have
> better instincts that Clemons...
>
> Jeremia Bell is a top 5 safety in this league
> because he has a nose for the ball...
>
Amaya was playing against 2nd and 3rd-string players in the last game, so I'm not ready to give him the job. Culver is in his 4th year and was with our team last year, so he's seasoned. Finally, Bell didn't start until his 4th year. So, in a way you're proving my point.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 03, 2010 02:35AM

Clemons sucked again vs Dallas... Deep Ball TD vs Sean Smith, guess who was suppose to be over to help on the deep ball but was out of position.. He also was beat by Bennet the TE.... Sorry but Clemons looks bad and we are going to have a tough time stopping the big plays again because of his lack of safety skills

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 03, 2010 02:47AM

Im not as down on Clemons as you guys are, but I will say this. Our back 7 on defense is way way WAY too young. We need another vet.

Dansby and Bell aren't cutting it. We need one more seasoned vet in our back 7 in a meaningful role.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: September 03, 2010 02:59AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Im not as down on Clemons as you guys are, but I
> will say this. Our back 7 on defense is way way
> WAY too young. We need another vet.
>
> Dansby and Bell aren't cutting it. We need one
> more seasoned vet in our back 7 in a meaningful
> role.

Question out of ignorance here, but how about the guy we got from minny? Or are you referring to someone that starts and plays a big role?

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 03, 2010 03:58AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Im not as down on Clemons as you guys are, but I
> will say this. Our back 7 on defense is way way
> WAY too young. We need another vet.
>
> Dansby and Bell aren't cutting it. We need one
> more seasoned vet in our back 7 in a meaningful
> role.

The other youngs guys are alright, if they had a decent FS. I am down on Clemons so much because he always seems to be out of position. A day late and a dollar short always. The other players are at least in the zip code trying to make a play on the ball. Clemons couldnt find the ball, even if he had the play in advance, radar and gps tracking the ball, and his body covered in Stick em... A FS needs to have a nose for the ball, great instincts, and anticipation... By the way he plays, I am not sure Clemons has even read our playbook

Date: September 03, 2010 04:01AM

Odenn Wrote:

>
>
> Question out of ignorance here, but how about the
> guy we got from minny? Or are you referring to
> someone that starts and plays a big role?

Sapp is a nice role player. I like Sapp, I do and he might be forced to start if Sean Smith struggles continue. But I want another vet who is a 3 down player on our back-7 with some experience. I mean its too late for that now, but we are just so young on defense starting so many guys in their 1st or 2 year (Odrick, Misi, Vontae, Smith, Clemons, Wake). That's half our defense with little to no experience. Dansby and Bell can't do it all.

Date: September 03, 2010 04:03AM

Crowder52 Wrote:

>
> The other youngs guys are alright, if they had a
> decent FS. I am down on Clemons so much because he
> always seems to be out of position. A day late and
> a dollar short always. The other players are at
> least in the zip code trying to make a play on the
> ball. Clemons couldnt find the ball, even if he
> had the play in advance, radar and gps tracking
> the ball, and his body covered in Stick em... A FS
> needs to have a nose for the ball, great
> instincts, and anticipation... By the way he
> plays, I am not sure Clemons has even read our
> playbook

And IF Clemons bombs out at FS (not saying he will but IF) that falls on the lap of Ireland/Parcells/Sparano for seeing this guy every day last year, all through mini-camp this year and not doing a damn thing to address the position of FS.

Posted by: dres9711 ()
Date: September 12, 2010 12:32PM

I laugh at all you that were calling Clemons a bust. I know this was one game... but Clemons had a coming out party!

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: September 12, 2010 02:01PM

I wouldnt call it comming out party, he did a decent job however.

Um our front 4 did a outstanding job with pressure today, which made our defensive backs look alot better.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 12, 2010 02:21PM

DolfanMike Wrote:
> I'm not sure the guy is an upgrade over Gebril
> Wilson.

RESPONSE: Now that is COLD, COLD, COLD! You really are taking him down ALL THE WAY, aren't you?

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 12, 2010 02:36PM

Mia1, not sure how you can say he only did ok. he was making plays all over the field and had a couple of really nice open field tackles. I am impressed, especially since he was such a question mark for the defense. now he must show consistency against better competition but as for today, he played very well.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: September 12, 2010 02:40PM

He did his job well, wasnt outstanding no forced fumbles, or Int's, but again he did a solid job?

Date: September 12, 2010 02:49PM

Clemons was outstanding today. Granted Buffalo is awful but Clemons was near perfect in his play

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: September 12, 2010 03:21PM

Clemons stood out to me. I think we have ourselves a keeper.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 12, 2010 03:28PM

So nice to have a player with his speed as our FS. Here's hoping his great play continues. We will need it next week although Minnesota is hurting for WR's and only put up 9 points vs a good N.O. defense.

On a side note: Did anyone spot a Buffalo TE today. They were held to ZERO catches...far cry from last years TE production vs Miami. Good job by our LB'ers and safeties in coverage.

I have a feeling Minnesota is headed for a slump. They could be 0-2 after next week.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 12, 2010 03:29PM

Clemons made two great plays that were pure solo efforts. One was the screen to CJ Spiller, which he read, and went after Spiller aggressively. And the second came when he was blitzing, and it was a run for Spiller, away from Clemons, and Clemons ran him down from behind at the line of scrimmage. He did a very good job today.

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: September 12, 2010 03:39PM

Agree, Clemons redeemed himself for his poor pre-season. He looks solid, and made some great tackles.

Posted by: dres9711 ()
Date: September 12, 2010 04:05PM

Clemons was all over the field. Mike1 you dont need an INT or a FF to have a good game. Clemons had two Takles for Loss, and he wasn't burnt. All in all a well above average game

Date: September 19, 2010 04:32AM

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.