HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Did it seem to you like
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Did it seem to you like
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 26, 2010 09:36AM

in the Jag game Bob Griese was doing everything but coming right out and saying that he thinks Pennington should be the starter rather than Henne?

(Keep in mind that Bob is the reason I am a Dolphin fan but)

Do you agree with him?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Did it seem to you like
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 26, 2010 09:41AM

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: August 26, 2010 10:07AM

No. I remember Bob kinda laughing at the long throw to Marshall. He called it a duck. Then he said that is Marshall doing what he does best - going up and getting a jump ball. Then he followed up with "that is Pennington doing what he does best" - throwing a jump ball. If he is saying that what Pennington does best is throw a jump ball, that is not a ringing endorsement.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 26, 2010 10:32AM

DolfanMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No. I remember Bob kinda laughing at the long
> throw to Marshall. He called it a duck. Then he
> said that is Marshall doing what he does best -
> going up and getting a jump ball. Then he
> followed up with "that is Pennington doing what he
> does best" - throwing a jump ball. If he is
> saying that what Pennington does best is throw a
> jump ball, that is not a ringing endorsement.

Agreed. If Henne had made that throw, Marshall would have caught it in stride and run for 6. Jax's first string D wasn't giving Marshall a chance to get open on the deep route. Throw Henne in against their 2nd-string D and we'd have scored sooner and more often.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 26, 2010 10:43AM

Listening to Bob do these games, I don't think he has a clue what NFL football is all about in the year 2010. He talks about football in a general sense and relates everything to the "college game" almost as to what works and what doesn't. When college football and NFL football are very different animals. Just listening to his commentary he seems very out of touch with the NFL game.

Bob isn't a guy who is at training camp everyday or reading all the newspapers about the players. Or listening to Sparano's press conferences and the updates on who's stock is up and who's stock is down.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 26, 2010 10:55AM

I love what they did for the Phins as players, but I don't like any part of the broadcast team for preseason games. I was almost glad when the sound went out momentarily as i watched the DVR recording of the game.

I'll give them a bit of wiggle room, as preseason games are, in general, pretty brutal TV in terms of keeping a running commentary. Lots of flags and players coming in & out, vanilla playcalling and defense.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: August 26, 2010 10:58AM

Our broad casters are horrible, just bad. I would love to be the commentator, not only would I actually get it right, but would make it entertaining!!

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: August 26, 2010 11:40AM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love what they did for the Phins as players, but
> I don't like any part of the broadcast team for
> preseason games. I was almost glad when the sound
> went out momentarily as i watched the DVR
> recording of the game.
>
> I'll give them a bit of wiggle room, as preseason
> games are, in general, pretty brutal TV in terms
> of keeping a running commentary. Lots of flags
> and players coming in & out, vanilla playcalling
> and defense.

Back in the day, the radio feed was worth listening too. But since they packed the booth with Cefelo and Rose, that has gone downhill too. Radio should be very simple - Mandich and one play by play guy that knows the players names and understands an NFL play. Really that is all you need for TV as well.

I don't care much about the preseason feed. There are so many players and the play is such garbage that it really doesn't make a difference.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 26, 2010 12:12PM

In recent years.....when it was Howard David and Jim Mandich it was a very professional radio team and they did outstanding work. With those two when I could I would turn down the TV sound and actually play the radio feed over my laptop. Even with the slight delay it was a better broadcast!! It had the "hometown" feel with Mandich with the professional nuts-n-bolts facts, play by play with David. They had a good balance.

That has been lost with the Cefelo, Rose, Mandich booth. First off Cefelo never did Play by Play before this gig. You have guys who work for 10-15 years before they get a break in the play-by-play business these days and Cefelo steps right in and gets an NFL job which I always thought was odd. I know why they did it but its still odd. Being a Syracuse guy who has listened to almost all the great radio/tv sportscasters come through my area over the past so many years, I have heard college kids, yes college kids today who do better work than Cefelo at play by play. I could walk up to the Newhouse School and take the top 5 kids in the 2011 class and all would be an upgrade over Cefelo today!

I was never a big Mandich guy. The over the top yelling and screaming was always a bit much for me. In recent years I have come around some on him. Mainly because he was just as over the top negative during the 1-15 year which gave him some credibility in my book. Rose I kinda enjoy and he has improved over the years. Those two would be fine IF they had that ring-leader savy play by play man to run the show and keep everyone in check and in line. They don't. So what you get is a male version of THE VIEW with everyone talking over each other! And its just a mess

Date: August 26, 2010 12:23PM

Well, I wanted to wait for a few comments before I expressed my opinion. First, yes, I kind of did get that impression from Bob. I remember that throw to Marshall and came up with the exact opposite impression of what Bob was getting at. I guess it really is impossible to know but I did not think he was being sarcastic. I thought he was saying that had Henne thrown the ball, it would have been a rifle shot instead of a high loft. I remember thinking that Marshall had missed a Henne pass earlier.

Despite the warning I posted, if Bob was suggesting starting Pennington, like Phinfans2, if he did suggest that, I certainly don't think that Henne should be replaced.

Our receivers need to grow up and learn to catch the hot ball. Watching Pennington throw gave me that same unease I had when he was starting about those soft floaters that are easy for the receivers to catch and even easier for dbs in the right position to pick off and return for big yardage.

Again, receivers, your job description says "Catch the Ball." That's all you have to do. Even quarterbacks have to run the ball, running backs have to catch the ball, receivers have to block, blockers occasionally have to tackle, dbs have to catch the ball and tackle as do linebackers, and lineman on both sides have to block and tackle. Except on interceptions and fumbles, all receivers have to do is "CATCH THE BALL." Stop dropping the hot ones.

Having a hot hand at quarterback is a valuable asset. I disagreed with what I THOUGHT Bob was hinting at entirely.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 26, 2010 02:00PM

Posted by: pvtfish ()
Date: August 26, 2010 02:50PM

i hear ted ginn had a catch that totaled 60 yards, did anyone see this, im curious if this was a deep 60 yard throw or a short throw with just a good run afterwards. I gotta figure it was the latter.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: August 26, 2010 02:55PM

Griese is bad. Thinks Tony Soprano is coaching the Phins

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 26, 2010 05:54PM

I didn't get this impression at all. I thought Griese sounded pretty high on Henne.

Date: August 26, 2010 09:00PM

Really, there were a lot of comments about "touch" whether this is what he has to do or this is what they have been working on. But when it came to Pennington, it was all about the 11-5 record of the year before last, how he got injured last year, etc. etc.

Again, you have to realize that Pennington, in style, is a lot more like Griese, and Henne is a lot more like Marino.

Although I think Bob has forgotten how much better he was than Pennington is now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.