HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bokamper: Berger won starting Center job
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Bokamper: Berger won starting Center job
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 23, 2010 04:59AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bokamper: Berger won starting Center job
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 23, 2010 06:11AM

I tend to doubt it. I don't think one had clearly outplayed the other, so I think the tie would go to the guy with the greater upside (when healthy) and who is making the big bucks. It just wouldn't do to have a $25 million backup center---and I can't see them cutting him as that would be too dumb for words. Also, Berger can play both OG positions so he is more useful on the bench.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 23, 2010 06:19AM

In watching Saturday's game a second time, I really tried to pay attention to the interior line. And it looked like Grove clearly outplayed Berger. Grove got a much better push in the running game. I expected to hear just the opposite this week, that Grove had won the starting job.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 23, 2010 06:21AM

I noticed that Bokamper has always liked Berger, judging from his now-defunct podcast of his nightly radio show.

He also seemed to be a fan of Gibril Wilson when he first got him too.

Bo is not always on the same page as the coaching staff from a personnel standpoint, although I really miss his podcast. Anyone know if his radio show has resurfaced at all? It stopped airing on QAM once they lost the broadcast rights to the fins.

Date: August 23, 2010 06:46AM

I think Berger wins the job at the start of the season. I don't think he holds onto it all year though

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: August 23, 2010 07:26AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In watching Saturday's game a second time, I
> really tried to pay attention to the interior
> line. And it looked like Grove clearly outplayed
> Berger. Grove got a much better push in the
> running game. I expected to hear just the opposite
> this week, that Grove had won the starting job.

I saw the same thing. When Berger was in, we scored 3 points. After Grove came in, we scored 21.

Date: August 23, 2010 07:38AM

Grove is better than berger, Grove SHOULD be the starter

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 23, 2010 09:11AM

Who did Grove tick off?

Date: August 23, 2010 09:33AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who did Grove tick off?

It sounds like he ticked off Bokamper.

I'll believe Grove lost the starting job when I see it. Right now, Grove is the better player. I understand giving Berger the reps - he need practice time at the position because Grove could go down at any moment, but I don't see the logic in Berger starting when Grove is healthy.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 23, 2010 09:35AM

Grove has already received a 12 mil signing bonus with base salaries of 2 mil last year and 2.66 mil this year. He has 14.5 mil guaranteed. He will make 3.32 mil next year and he only has about 500k more to collect to have all of his guaranteed money in his pocket.

Not a very good situation for the Dolphins but they would save around 2.1 mil by releasing him unless someone is foolish enough to trade for him...maybe a late round pick.

Basically he has already been paid so his base salaries are not that bad for a starting C. I'm not sure Berger is better but they may be just getting him some work/experience to see if he has the ability to handle the big NT's.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 23, 2010 09:42AM

The reason there even is a position battle is because grove gets injured, which i think is personally stupid because when hes in the team is better.
if hes injured ok put berger in but if grove is healthy hes hands down better than berger

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 23, 2010 09:44AM

After watching a couple of times and focusing on center play, it appeared to me that Grove was the better player. I believe Berger is getting 1st team reps so that he is prepared should Grove go down to injury and to push Grove. When healthy Grove is a top-notch center.

I also just noticed the report below:

Center Jake Grove was taking snaps with the first-team offense earlier, suggesting he will get some first-team snaps the remainder of practice.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 23, 2010 10:01AM

Watch the game again, is Bokamper blind or was that just an old quote or something. Berger was atrocious, if you DVR the game go back and look at the first few series especially. Berger is getting worked and driven back and getting help from the guards. Then forward to when they put in Grove, and he flat out was consistently getting huge push. Total opposite of what Berger was doing... I was beyond surprised Berger was getting so worked in the first QT. I got to believe the coaches saw the same thing most of us saw, and as Dolfanmark said a report should be coming out soon that Grove has won the starting job back...

Date: August 23, 2010 10:58AM

Sparano said at his press conference today a decision hasn't been made.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 23, 2010 12:09PM

From Omar Kelly:

-- After doing my rewind it became clear Jake Grove outperformed Joe Berger on Sat., which explains why he's running with 1st team today.

Date: August 23, 2010 12:19PM

Gotta love Bokamper. He busted his arse for this team for years. But I would pay more attention to what he says if he had only intercepted that Theisman pass.grinning smiley

Seriously though, Bokamper is just a radio talk guy who used to be a Dolphin. Unlike Mandich and Cefelo, he doesn't even have a role as an "official" broadcaster. I find it hard to believe he actually knows what is going on with the internals of the coaching staff. And his analysis of the game seemed waaaay off. But he is a good talker.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 23, 2010 04:08PM

I agree, Grove is CLEARLY the better player. If he is going to get hurt, use his superiority as long as possible. Besides, he might last the season.

Rick

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: August 23, 2010 04:23PM

lOL Berger isnt winning s.it.

Grove is the best center we have, but he get's hurt.

Hince again why Center will be a BIG offseason issue we must address.

No quality dependable center, no winning period.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.