HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Sanchez or Manning?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sanchez or Manning?
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 17, 2010 02:38AM

From a Fanhouse article

"Here is something to ponder: 25 NFL scouts were at this game. That means only five teams were not and that the Giants and Jets have the attention of this league. I asked four of them this question: it's opening day, you are running the offensive scheme you run, you have the players you have, and which one of these quarterbacks -- Sanchez or Manning -- would you want to take your best shot with in 2010?

And while their word isn't the final one, it's the right one. Sanchez won, 3-1.

Sanchez, the guy in his second pro season, vs. Manning, the player entering his seventh with a Super Bowl ring and MVP already in tow.

A sampling of the comments: "Sanchez has that 'it' you want in your quarterback. ... Manning has done it, I'll take that. ... Sanchez can take a bad play and make it into a good play with his mobility. ... Sanchez has the upside not just in the future, but in this upcoming season.''

Are you surprised?"

I'm not a huge Eli fan, but I just can't understand this Sanchez hype. I would take Manning over him in a heartbeat until Sanchez proves he can do it consisitently, am I missing something here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanchez or Manning?
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 17, 2010 03:12AM

I would take Eli now. But at the end of the year that might change.

I think Eli has peaked and hit his ceiling at this point. While obviously Sanchez hasn't

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 17, 2010 03:28AM

Sanchez did look good last night.

Date: August 17, 2010 04:02AM

Jonathan Twilley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sanchez did look good last night.

How good could he of looked, that same article said his first pass was picked and returned to the 1?

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: August 17, 2010 12:06PM

I'm not on board with the Sanchez hype. He doesn't make the greatest decisions, and is the beneficiary of a good running game and good defense. Take the Jets out of their game by taking an 2TD lead, and the game is as good as over.

Eli Manning, I'd take him. Manning is a tough player that makes great decisions and has shown on several occasions, when the chips are down, he can bring that team back. Doesn't have his brother's arm or weapons around him, but he gets the job done. Nothing seems to phase Eli.

Although Eli is a 7 year vet, he's the kind of player that has another 10 in front of him because he a very smart player.

As for peaking, I think Sanchez reach the pinnacle of his carrer last year when he lost to the Colts. My guess is that Sanchez will have a few more year with the Jets where he fails to meet expectations, then he'll be tossed from the NY hype machine and relegated to Journeyman status. Then I will laugh.

Date: August 17, 2010 04:29PM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 18, 2010 11:22AM

"50,000 human beings calling you every name in the book sucks, particularly if a handful follow you home and leave human feces in your mail box — but not one of them can fire you."

--Eli's dad Archie, what a quote from that article! lol Sounds like the voice of experience during his days as a Saint.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 18, 2010 11:39AM

There is a reason this "story" isn't attributed to anyone in particular. Some people apparently still believe that "if it's in print, it must be true". Don't the schools teach critical thinking anymore?

Rick

Date: August 18, 2010 12:00PM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> There is a reason this "story" isn't attributed to
> anyone in particular. Some people apparently still
> believe that "if it's in print, it must be true".
> Don't the schools teach critical thinking anymore?

Thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah that site is "the Onion" for sports. Unless, in the related article, a PGA golfer really did shove one of his irons up his own poop-chute. That story might be fake as well.

However putting an author's name on the article wouldn't say much either, could be a b.s. pseudonym or fake name altogether even if they attributed an author.

Date: August 18, 2010 12:11PM

JC Wrote:
>
> However putting an author's name on the article
> wouldn't say much either, could be a b.s.
> pseudonym or fake name altogether even if they
> attributed an author.

It would have some value. If we ran across that pseudonym or fake name in another article, we would have an idea that the writer was FOS. At least we'd have a point of reference moving forward.

The problem with media these days is that they rely too much on anonymity, knowing that they can pick up viewers with sensational fiction and little else.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: August 19, 2010 02:34AM

I think Sanchez is extremely overly hyped, so much that it disgusts me.

He had the fifth worst ranking last year. His first pass on Monday night was a pick. He makes some bonehead throws and his decision making needs to mature without a doubt.

I give credit to the Jets success last season to their defense and ground game. Sanchez is still raw and I don't believe he's capable of carrying a team at this point in time.

If both of these guys were on the same team and a game were on the line right now? I would choose Manning without hesitation. He was barely beat by Kurt Warner for the #10 QB rating last year (93.2 > 93.1).

Sanchez? 63.0

Numbers don't lie.

Date: August 19, 2010 05:00AM

808phan Wrote:
> I think Sanchez is extremely overly hyped, so much
> that it disgusts me.
>
>

Gosh, why are you disgusted? I'm happy about the hype. A sophomore QB, with huge expectations, with New York fans? It's a pretty good scenario.....for anyone who wants the jets to fail!

There's no way he can live up to those expectations, which means the local fans and media will crap all over him a few games into the season.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 19, 2010 05:15AM

Posted by: Thirteen ()
Date: August 19, 2010 05:57AM

montequi Wrote:
> Reminds me of, I'm pretty sure, Dan McGuire. DM
> had football fed to him by his Dad every since he
> was young..and when he was finally free of his
> father he decided he didn't like football and
> didn't want to play.

Although McGwire didn't amount to anything as a pro, I think the guy you're thinking of is Todd Marinovich. He was heavily hyped as a high-schooler but did pretty much nothing in college (USC, I think), except get caught with marijuana. So naturally, the Raiders burned a first-rounder on him, and his pro "career" was a joke. I think he might have gotten busted for drugs again as a pro.

Date: August 19, 2010 06:02AM

Thirteen Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Reminds me of, I'm pretty sure, Dan McGuire.
> DM
> > had football fed to him by his Dad every since
> he
> > was young..and when he was finally free of his
> > father he decided he didn't like football and
> > didn't want to play.
>
> Although McGwire didn't amount to anything as a
> pro, I think the guy you're thinking of is Todd
> Marinovich. He was heavily hyped as a
> high-schooler but did pretty much nothing in
> college (USC, I think), except get caught with
> marijuana. So naturally, the Raiders burned a
> first-rounder on him, and his pro "career" was a
> joke. I think he might have gotten busted for
> drugs again as a pro.

You're right. I don't know why I always get those 2 mixed up.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 19, 2010 09:54AM

"Numbers don't lie." Numbers are just numbers. It's how they are interpreted that makes the lie.

Rick

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 19, 2010 12:08PM

Sanchez , just screams Joey Harrington to me.

Eli has a unique game for a QB, has won the big one, I dont think it is even a contest personally.

Date: August 19, 2010 12:13PM

I'm not a big Sanchez fan. I think he is more hype than play as well. With that said some have gone overboard in describing him. He isn't as bad as most here are making him out to be. Lots of QB's have had WORSE rookie seasons than Sanchez. Some all time greats too like Peyton Manning.

Not enough of a sample size to bury Sanchez just yet. The guy isn't Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell by any means. I think he is more of a Kerry Collins or Jeff Garcia (in their primes) type. Good, solid, will make their mistakes...but not a great QB who can carry a team.

Date: August 20, 2010 12:45PM

JC Wrote:
> Gosh, why are you disgusted? I'm happy about the
> hype. A sophomore QB, with huge expectations,
> with New York fans? It's a pretty good
> scenario.....for anyone who wants the jets to
> fail!
>

Yup. It'll be fun to just sit back and watch.

Every time the media hypes Sanchez or Rex opens his fat mouth, its another shovel of dirt for teams team's grave.

I didn't watch any of the HBO stuff, but I kinda know it just added to the hype. Perfect.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 04:40AM

Ok I watch him, and he can make some nice throws, hell anyone who has been throwing the ball most there lives can make, hell I even make nice throws.

But I'm not QB, Yeah I have a decent arm, throw a nice spiral, but like Sanchez, I will never be great.

The guy doesnt have the strongest arm, most of his pass's are dump off pass's, that inflate his stats, whenever he has to stand in the pocket in pressure situations, he throws picks, into horrible coverage, but if he makes it out of the pocket he can do some nice things.

He is Brady Quinn all over period. The end!!

If you pick him over Eli Manning, who in all fairness plays for a offense that I feel isnt as near as good, team in general since the magical superbowl win.

Then your just a moron, who doesnt actualy watch the play's unfold watching the game.

For Christ sake they are so desperate to help him excede they brought in Edwards, LT, and Holms. to pass too.

Dont expect alot of rushing yards from LT, but a TON of recieving yards, because Sanchez will look to throw to him ALOT.

Date: August 21, 2010 06:55AM

Eli has more skills than Sanchez, but Eli was drafted 1st overall, Sanchez was #5. When the Giants beat NE in the Superbowl, Eli justified his #1 pick status. Problem is, he hasn't done much since. So, is he a bust based on where he was picked? MAYBE.

Sanchez wasn't drafted #1 overall, so the pressure isn't quite as high, but it's still up there. Compared to a host of other QBs drafted lower, he's nowhere near their ability. Time will tell to see of Sanchez justifies his #5 pick, but based on pure ability alone I think he was drafted WAY too high.

Date: August 21, 2010 06:59AM

Eli hasn't had much help since that Super Bowl win though. Best WR is in jail. Brandon Jacobs got old fast and isn't the same player. Plus his o-line fell apart.

Date: August 21, 2010 08:00AM

I personally think the better comparison is, would you take Eli Manning or Philip Rivers. I think Eli did the Chargers a favor looking back. They got the better of the 2 QB's IMO and draft picks. That was a great move for San Diego, entirely instigated by Manning and his old man.

Date: August 21, 2010 09:06AM

The original thing that stuck out to me is not really a Manning vs Sanchez thing as much as it's the hype that surrounds Sanchez, I get it that he's in New York so he's gonna get a little more hype then usual, but to me until he prove's himself on a consistent basis he's just a prospect, and my theory about prospects is "prospects are suspects". I guess only time will tell.

Date: August 21, 2010 09:26AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> The original thing that stuck out to me is not
> really a Manning vs Sanchez thing as much as it's
> the hype that surrounds Sanchez, I get it that
> he's in New York so he's gonna get a little more
> hype then usual, but to me until he prove's
> himself on a consistent basis he's just a
> prospect, and my theory about prospects is
> "prospects are suspects". I guess only time will
> tell.

Well he was in the AFC Championship game and he won 2 ROAD playoff games as a rookie. He had to do something right in those games and make plays for them to win. NO, he didn't carry the team but he also didn't lose it for them either. I mean ya gotta give the devil his due to some extent. In the biggest games of the year he played well.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 10:41AM

Cant take Rivers over Eli, Rivers does more with less, the best TE, great reciving core, had a awsome running game playing in the weakest division.

Come on Eli has had Jack and Sh.t and Jack left town.

Eli did more with less, and won the big dance, Rivers cant even get into the superbowl, even though they are picked to go every year. lol

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: August 21, 2010 10:55AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> "Numbers don't lie." Numbers are just numbers.
> It's how they are interpreted that makes the lie.

I interpret numbers as statistics to be used as an indicator.

For example, Pat White had a rating of 39.6 in 2009. And yes, he really does suck. That is no lie.

Date: August 21, 2010 10:59AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> Cant take Rivers over Eli, Rivers does more with
> less, the best TE, great reciving core, had a
> awsome running game playing in the weakest
> division.
>
> Come on Eli has had Jack and Sh.t and Jack left
> town.
>
> Eli did more with less, and won the big dance,
> Rivers cant even get into the superbowl, even
> though they are picked to go every year. lol

Its hard to say, the defense of the Giants and their cordinator were not to shabby in the year they won the Superbowl. Brandon Jacobs, Derek Ward , Plaxico Burress... He wasnt alone, and it was the defense that took the Giants far that year IMO...
Rivers stats are impressive and he has developed into quite a passer... I agree he hasnt won the dance, but I do not think you can put that on him.... Defense wins Championships IMO..
I like Eli alot, but if at this point I got my choice of which one to join the Dolphins, my pick would be for Rivers..

Date: August 21, 2010 11:09AM

Rivers over Eli in a heart-beat. The fact that Rivers has an edge on him I like too. Rivers is fighting with fans, fighting with Cutler in the middle of games, fighting with anyone and everyone. Got a little "edge" to him. Which isn't bad for a QB to have.

Date: August 21, 2010 01:35PM

MikeO Wrote:
> Rivers over Eli in a heart-beat. The fact that
> Rivers has an edge on him I like too. Rivers is
> fighting with fans, fighting with Cutler in the
> middle of games, fighting with anyone and
> everyone. Got a little "edge" to him. Which isn't
> bad for a QB to have.

Ryan Leaf had an edge...... sorry couldnt resist, I am just being a smart ass

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.