HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Offseason sad, too.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Offseason sad, too.
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:09PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Offseason sad, too.
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:22PM

is it just me or are a of former nfl players dying really young? hell I feel really old I remember watching both of them get drafted on espn, and I remember jarvis playing at uf

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: July 28, 2010 03:25PM

Don't know if these 2 have anything to do with it, but the steroid generation seems to be taking a lot of hits lately...

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: July 28, 2010 05:01PM

There is no question about it. Football players, on average, die very young. I remember reading an article in the late 80's and I was stunned to find that the average life expectancy was 52. Things may have improved since then, but I am sure that it is still considerably younger than the general population. This is the reason I am so supportive of football players earning their large salaries. That is not the case for baseball and basketball though. I boycott those sports and others because I feel it is ridiculous that someone should earn that much money for doing something most of us have to pay to do.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: July 28, 2010 05:03PM

Posted by: opus ()
Date: July 28, 2010 06:06PM

The human body was never designed to take the abuse that the NFL dishes out. There is the rare body that can take it and go the distance, just like some smokers live to be 100, but the usual result is a much shorter life. I do think the steroid use is going to make this even worse than the earlier reults. Add in the increased size of the players and the increased force of the hits and you have a presecription for even more dramatically shortened lives.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 08:38PM

I think that the biggest issue is, was, that most players don't, didnt know how to take care of there body. I.E see Ricky Williams, and watch him live to be the 80's.

Most guys go out train hard play hard, and prob don't go the extra mile in taking care of there bodies, which is why Im kinda on the no side of the 18 week schedual.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: July 29, 2010 03:21AM

I think that the biggest issue is, was, that most players don't, didnt know how to take care of there body. I.E see Ricky Williams, and watch him live to be the 80's

EXACTLY!

The players of the 80's were not dedicated machines as these guys are now. Offseason meant, major partying, drugs and more partying for most of the NFL players. The players today are stronger, faster and more agile than ever.

Date: July 29, 2010 06:27AM

Ricky takes care of his body now, and will prob live a long time, but some guys where hopped up on the juice, and the science wasnt as good back then either, so people got hurt alot more, and just played through it.

Now if you get farted at, you get the full medical treatment, which is nice I guess.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: July 29, 2010 12:28PM

ricky is going to live forever. the weed and the yoga add about 30 years....

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: July 30, 2010 02:34AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ricky is going to live forever. the weed and the
> yoga add about 30 years....

Really? I better start smoking weed then! smoking smiley

Just kidding...

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: July 30, 2010 03:40AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is it just me or are a of former nfl players dying
> really young? hell I feel really old I remember
> watching both of them get drafted on espn, and I
> remember jarvis playing at uf

You will see more of this. The NFL and MLB have turned into Pro Wrestling. Tons of guys dying in their 40's and 50's from "heart" issues. Which is code for they did steroids for so many years while playing it took years off their life. You can't do roids and carry around that kind of weight and expect to live a long life.

I feel bad for this group though. Because the long-term "effects" of steroids weren't known back when they played.I mean ya knew they were bad but not to the extent they were this bad. Not like now with this current group of modern athletes. Who when they take roids they know what they are doing to themselves.

Date: July 30, 2010 10:18AM

Sorry Mike, but I don't really think that has much bearing.

The reason why is not alot have been dying.

When you have THOUSANDS of players throughout the years, it's really not that uncommon when they start dying off, yes the number of younger one's is a bit compelling, and prob does hold true for some who used roids, but it's not like every day they are dropping like flies.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: July 30, 2010 05:56PM

This is all steroid related. Too many YOUNG guys dying.

Just like in pro wrestling. You do steroids for too long and it catches up to you. Every week or so you have an ex- player in his 40's or 50's dying out of the blue. No other profession do you see this, the rate these young guys are dropping. And they all are from the same era....which is very telling

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.