HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Does Will Allen start?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Does Will Allen start?
Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: July 27, 2010 11:04AM

I haven't tracked this situation, maybe you guys can help me out with some insight. He suffered that knee injury in week 6 last year, and we had our two rookies hold down the fort. I think personally I'd like to keep it that way and have them get better as a pair of starters this year.
Allen is slated to make like 5 mill this year. Do we keep a 3rd DB at 5 mill?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does Will Allen start?
Posted by: Wannyblows34 ()
Date: July 27, 2010 12:11PM

Absolutely we keep him. Unless he's not healthy enough, or has a horrible camp and preseason. It's a privilege to have three solid corners, I'm sure Nolan can do something good with them.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: July 27, 2010 12:57PM

IF he significantly out plays Sean Smith in camp, he should definitely gets the start on opening day. If not start the rookies, with the pressure on them that a Vets wants the job if they dont step up. The competition should push them all to be better and stay focused!

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: July 27, 2010 01:42PM

Id say he fits the bill at our Nickle Corner slot!! When we play pass happy team's I bet you might see all three out there alot at the same time!

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: July 27, 2010 02:02PM

in this league 3 CB's play 70% of the time anyway. does it really matter who gets their names announced and who the starter is?

Just a formality really. With the wide open offenses you play 3 CB's at almost all times anyway

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: July 27, 2010 02:03PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IF he significantly out plays Sean Smith in camp,
> he should definitely gets the start on opening
> day. If not start the rookies,

You forget. They're not rookies this year!!!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 27, 2010 03:33PM

Will Allen played better than both of the rookies last year until he got hurt and remember it was Sean Smith who won a starting spot from day one...not Davis.

Yes he is a first rounder and will need the experience but right now I think it's just a matter of who can play the slot/nickle the best. Coaches say it is more difficult to play there.

I would imaging that Sparano wants Smith and Davis to be starting on the outside since that is their future but it may be a more natural position for Vontae since he has more ability to keep up with shifty, quick slot WR's and is big enough to cover TE's and RB's

Allen may not be 100% since it is a one year minimum recovery time for an ACL injury and he got hurt in like week 6 last year. He may be able to play but most players say even though they played...they did not feel comfortable until later in the season (Ronnie Brown).

Therefore...it may be tough for him to do all the quick planting, etc that is necessary for the nickle/slot guy.

Will Allen on the left, Smith on the right and Davis in the slot?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: July 27, 2010 03:47PM

That would be sweet to me, can't really go wrong with that set up Estee!!

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:40AM

Your right not rookies anymore.....
I doubt Davis plays slot, he is too good at run stop and jamming recievers, Davis is our number 1 CB, I am pretty sure about that. The coaches dont think Smith played aggressive enough most of last year. Smith said he didnt play aggressvie becaue we were in so many close games and he didnt want to blow it. Davis on the other hand did play aggressive all year. Most players say that Vontae Davis is the best straight up athlete on the team. He got through last year basicly on atleticism, not on skill or technique. Expect Davis to really seperate himself this year as one of the best CB's in the business.... Depending o how Smith plays this year, I feel better having Allen and Davis protecting the outside. That is of course a healthy Allen. I would bet money Davis isnt in the slot unless the other teams number 1 lines up in the slot on that particular play.

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:44AM

Date: July 28, 2010 04:54AM

Is anyone else getting tired of seeing the Dolphins secondary burned on highlight reels?

It seems every time I am watching NFL network and they are highlighting a player scoring a big TD...it is against Miami.

I think we were last in the NFL for giving up big plays.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: July 28, 2010 05:48AM

eesti Wrote:
> I think we were last in the NFL for giving up big
> plays.

Which means we have nowhere to go but up!!! drinking smileysmoking smiley

Seriously, we're going to be MUCH better this coming season. I can feel it!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: July 28, 2010 07:32AM

Pass rush has a ton to do with that. We got a good number of sacks last year, but I've been re-watching the season, and it seems we either got to the QB for a sack or he had all day to throw. There was no consistent pressure for the most part. If Nolan & his new LB crew can dial up the pressure, I think we'll see far fewer highlight reel passes. There simply won't be time for WR to run that far down the field. I think this - more than anything - will tell how well we fare this year.

Date: July 28, 2010 08:50AM

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: July 28, 2010 10:21AM

Seems to be...hope he has an answer :-)

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: July 30, 2010 03:30AM

eesti Wrote:
> Is anyone else getting tired of seeing the
> Dolphins secondary burned on highlight reels?
>
> It seems every time I am watching NFL network and
> they are highlighting a player scoring a big
> TD...it is against Miami.
>
> I think we were last in the NFL for giving up big
> plays.

Also last in 4th quarter defense last season. When the game is on the line we choked! That isnt' all on Pasqualoni either. Players make plays. Losing Gabril helps, he is a guy who the ball seemed to find in every big spot and he always let us down. Clemons can stink and he still improves our defense! As long as he doesn't stink on a "gabril wilson level". Which might be impossible to do!

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: July 30, 2010 04:52AM

I think if you play cover 2 they wont get burned as much. I don't know if we even tried to play cover 2 last year. It couldn't of hurt if we tried it at some point. Then again you have to have safeties that can tackle, and last year Gibril Wilson sucked point blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.