HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jason Ferguson Retires
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jason Ferguson Retires
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: July 15, 2010 12:32PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jason Ferguson Retires
Date: July 15, 2010 12:38PM

Damn I guess it is true. Oh well we have to have Starks ansd Solia step it up.

Posted by: opus ()
Date: July 15, 2010 12:40PM

With all the quotes, it would really take a lot of balls to fake this one. He was going to miss half the season anyways so it is not that big of a hit, though it would have been nice to have him come in midway through with a fresh set of legs!!

Date: July 15, 2010 12:42PM

I think that Ryan Baker makes the roster now based on his versatility. In the limited oppurtunities that he had last year, he played relatively well. It is time for the young players to step it up as well.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: July 15, 2010 12:56PM

WoW, that sucks, Ferguson was a great player and veteran leader for the young guys.. THis seems a bit all of a sudden, something must have happened. It is a bit weird they offered no reason for his retirement. it must be one of a few things, another major injury or blowout, a job offer greater then what he will make for his 8 games, or another failed drug test. This sounds, what I know has happened to other NFL stars past their prime forced into retirement. Ferguson was a big part of the Dolphins turnaround, it sucks he is no longer in the locker room

Date: July 15, 2010 01:01PM

Well said.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: July 15, 2010 01:20PM

opus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With all the quotes, it would really take a lot of
> balls to fake this one. He was going to miss half
> the season anyways so it is not that big of a hit,
> though it would have been nice to have him come in
> midway through with a fresh set of legs!!

At his age and all he has been through, I don't think he will ever have fresh legs again. He is probably feeling his age and with trainig camp around the corner he threw in the towel.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: July 15, 2010 01:24PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: July 15, 2010 01:55PM

This may be a blessing in disguise. Nolan can now establish his fulltime defensive alignment on Day 1. He can build a D-Line with the players we have, rather than waiting for those we don't. Starks has a chance to truly establish himself as a NT.

I have faith in Nolan. I think we'll do fine.

Date: July 15, 2010 02:30PM

Well I would of liked to have Ferguson's veteran leadership, but I guess exburence and youth will have to do for this season. We could still pick up a player like Chris Hovan who was released by the Bucaneers for some insurance or another veteran.

Date: July 15, 2010 02:45PM

Finshady Wrote:
> Well I would of liked to have Ferguson's veteran
> leadership, but I guess exburence and youth will
> have to do for this season. We could still pick
> up a player like Chris Hovan who was released by
> the Bucaneers for some insurance or another
> veteran.

I think we definitely will pick up someone before TC, but outside of Starks the competition at NT will be wide open.

Date: July 15, 2010 03:21PM

Hovan has already signed withe Rams. I guess we will find a worthy veteren.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: July 15, 2010 04:17PM

I am guessing he failed another test and just retired instead of taking a year suspension. This seems totally out of the blue and out of left field. There is more to this story.

Big blow to the defense. Granted he was out for 8 games but when healthy and motivated he could play and filled a need for our defense.

Date: July 15, 2010 04:19PM

MikeO who do we get now to fill the void.

Date: July 15, 2010 04:51PM

MikeO Wrote:
> Big blow to the defense. Granted he was out for 8
> games but when healthy and motivated he could play
> and filled a need for our defense.

We needed to move on. It reminds me of how much we relied on Tim Ruddy and how Wanny would beg him to come back year after year. When he finally retired we had no decent replacement. I think it's best we start with what we have. With Dansby in the middle, we may be able to survive without a really good NT.

Date: July 15, 2010 04:51PM

slim pickings right now. Might have to wait and see who other teams cut during training camp.

If Starks does well and Solai shows up in shape and motivated we should be ok with those 2 for the season if both are healthy. But I expect Ireland and Parcells will be looking over that waiver wire come late August.

I know Denver has a bunch of DT's and one was in some off the field trouble this year and they were thinking of cutting him. I can't remember his name off the top of my head. If cut I am sure Nolan will be banging the drum for him.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: July 15, 2010 05:15PM

Maybe he was driving Hartline's truck

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: July 15, 2010 09:08PM

Well this stinks, was looking forward to him later in the season.

Oh well maybe Ryan Baker might do somthing?confused smiley

Date: July 16, 2010 03:29AM

Ryan Baker could be a tweener in our scheme. Play both end and nose tacke Parcells does like versatility. I remember Omar writing an article about how much bigger he had gotten during the off season, and how he thought he played well in spots last year. Maybe Baker could be another free agent hidden gem.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 16, 2010 05:13AM

The guy from Denver was Ron Fields and he is worse than Soliai. He wore down big time last year which is why they signed the injury prone Jamal Williams.

The Jets will have three NT's now that Jenkins is back. Sioni Pouha played better than Jenkins and may even win the starting spot. Mike Devito played NT and DE but not as well as SP at NT.

Devito will be used at RDE this year but Jenkins may be too expensive to keep if Pouha beats him out. Pouha was the 2nd ranked NT in the league last year ahead of Vince Wilfork according to PFF.

I think we are set with Starks. He may have a few early growing pains but seems committed to learning the position. I read and article about Fergy that says he was considered undersized but Starks is the same size and so is Jay Ratliff.

I think the NT position will change a bit this year under Nolan and Starks will be more of a Ratliff/upfield type.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 16, 2010 05:19AM

Kelly Talavou Ravens the Ravens have 3 solid nose tackles then they drafted Mt Cody this year. Talevou could probably be acquired w/ a conditional draft pick.

Date: July 16, 2010 05:31AM

Talavou played in 3 games and has one tackle. What makes you think he is a solid NT? (I don't mean that in an Eddie Haskel sort of way either)

.....................................................................................

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 16, 2010 06:10AM

the Ravens Defense man for man is probably the toughest in the NFL. To make that team you have to be good. Last year Talavou busted his butt every day in practice and when he was finally called in to play he was ready and did well for the #3 NT. At times he was #4. I believe on another team he would challenge for a starting postion which is not gonna happen in Bmore w/ Ngata and McKinney ahead of him. I think he is someone we should look at.

Date: July 16, 2010 06:56AM

eesti Wrote:
> I think the NT position will change a bit this
> year under Nolan and Starks will be more of a
> Ratliff/upfield type.

Exactly!! Nolan now knows what he has to work with. I think if Fergy would have come back he may have been our #2 NT at best anyway.

Now we just have to see what kind of depth we have. Soliai? Baker? McDaniels?

Date: July 16, 2010 07:08AM

Didnt we get Ivey this year?

Date: July 16, 2010 09:46AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> the Ravens Defense man for man is probably the
> toughest in the NFL. To make that team you have to
> be good. Last year Talavou busted his butt every
> day in practice and when he was finally called in
> to play he was ready and did well for the #3 NT.
> At times he was #4. I believe on another team he
> would challenge for a starting postion which is
> not gonna happen in Bmore w/ Ngata and McKinney
> ahead of him. I think he is someone we should look
> at.

I think they have Ngata playing RDE and Gregg playing the NT spot. Interestingly enough, Talavou is another Samoan from Utah like Paul Soliai.

Date: July 16, 2010 09:54AM

How many Samoan's have realy been successfull? It's there gentics, its hard for em to keep the weight off!!

Date: July 16, 2010 11:21AM

I would like our Samoans to play like their counterparts. Actually both of them having great seasons would really be nice.

Date: July 16, 2010 02:24PM

NFL came out and said Ferguson didn't fail a 2nd drug test. So that wasn't the reason for the sudden retirement.

So that's a little good news. Would have hated to see him have to "go out" that way. At least Jason went out on his own terms.

Date: July 16, 2010 04:22PM

It would be nice, to have both emerge as a "force" on this team.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.