HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Mike O
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mike O
Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: May 20, 2010 03:49PM

I visit the board once in a while and have for several years. I was just looking at the "started by" column and a large majority of the current threads are started by MikeO. I'm not talking sh*t but dude do you have a job or do you work for the board or just a crazy thread posting guy?smileys with beer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mike O
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: May 20, 2010 03:54PM

I wonder as well however you can do both.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 20, 2010 03:57PM

I have asked myself the same question, but at the end of the day who cares, he keeps the board from being stagnate at for that I thank him, nothing worse then a stagnate Phins board.....

ps-if he doesn work for the board, they should be paying him for sure for the time and energy he puts in to the community, I dont always agree but such is life

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: May 20, 2010 04:30PM

I have gotten some PM's on this from some of you, and I don't like talking about my past cause one or two jerks take everything out of context and just go off on tirads and rants. But here is the long story just to get it all out there so we can finally move on from this.

I work from home making a nice living and I make my own schedule my own hours. I'm my own boss. I am in front of my CPU almost all the time with my job. Usually my home office while working I have ESPNews on TV behind me or WQAM or 790 on the radio. As I do my work. So access to this site isn't difficult for me.

Also, I used to cover the Fins for my website back in the day. I posted that one article a couple weeks back about me in the Sun-Sentinel from Alex Marvez from 2002 or 2003 or so. There are more; maybe one day I will post some others, just have to dig them out. So for me, even though I don't cover them anymore for a site, I still am connected to a few press people who do cover them. And talk with them via email and text all the time. So even though I am "out of the loop" per say covering them, my phone or email is always going off getting updates on things. So when I get something sent to me or read something online, force of habbit....I start a thread on it as that is what I did for so many years. That's all it is, force of habbit.

When I had my site back in the day it started off as a hobby with 1 other guy very small, and it took off HUGE. Over the course of a few years I networked into the Dolphins press and meet other people with connections that helped me out. I mean when we added Sandy Williams (ricky's mom), Brett Tessler (NFL Agent), Joe Schad (then Palm Beach Post, now ESPN) among others...the site took off. We were doing radio shots for FOX Sports on overnight shows (as guests), write up's about us in the Sun-Sentinel and Palm Beach Post.. stuff like that. The word got out and our traffic went through the roof. Having Sandy Williams during the Ricky Williams "pot smoking debacle didn't hurt either. In fact our site was the 1st to break that story about Ricky Retiring. 3 hours before the S.Florida media and ESPN. Everyone thought we were bullshitting, a few hours later they were like, holy crap its true! lol. Also, my connections to Ricky's family and Sean who made the movie is how I got the Ricky Williams Documentary DVD, uncut version, months before it aired and how I was able to tell you guys about scenes and what it was about months before it aired.

Back to the site, overhead expenses took off to a level that it was no longer a hobby and it was almost a 2nd full time job. It became "less of a hobby" and more "real work" whether it be updating the site, being the MOD of the message board, and all of the work it takes to keep the site to a level that it needed to be. The site cost a ton of money to maintain so it wouldn't crash always updating servers and such, and the site brought in little money cause as you can guess "advertising dollars" crashed when the economy started its downturn and that didn't start in 2008, trust me it started once Clinton left office for the Internet market. So, little money coming in, alot of money going out. We had to make a decision on the site, it wasn't financially sustainable the way it was.

While we were discussing what to do, I got a phone call from the Dolphins as they knew about my site. Remember back in the day out of all of the NFL sites MiamiDolphins.com was horrible. It was boring, bland, and just beyond bad. 32 teams and their site was like a kid with a coloring book. Because of some of the connections I had, their PR dept/Marketing was turned onto me. They flew me in for an interview about working for the website. Gave me a tour of the place, talked to office people you guys wouldn't know about, nobody famous by any means. They made me an offer to work on the website (no not picking players, or signing free agents, just revamping their site and such and making it, well better). The money was about 1/3 of what I made at my "real" job plus I would have to move to Miami from where I am now. So I turned them down. Went home, and me and my partner decided to just close up our site and wash our hands of it. Too much work and he had a family at the time and my business was taking off. We couldn't keep it up.

Now a bunch of years later, I post here on this site as I like its smaller and more intimate. And yes, out of habbit everytime I see news or get news I start a thread about it. Just force of habbit.

Date: May 20, 2010 04:37PM

Don't really know what to say except too much info for my taste. Did we really need your life story for a response. I know it's a force of habit.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 20, 2010 04:50PM

I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up here. So MikeO posts a lot, that's a good thing, esp during this time of year where there's nothing to talk about. If you don't like him don't respond to his posts. It's just an internet message board for crissakes

Date: May 20, 2010 06:32PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up
> here. So MikeO posts a lot, that's a good thing,
> esp during this time of year where there's nothing
> to talk about. If you don't like him don't respond
> to his posts. It's just an internet message board
> for crissakes

It's unreal Berk. I come to a Miami Dolphins message board to talk MIAMI DOLPHINS football and some people get upset about it?! I don't get it! I guess I should be sitting home and watching Maury...smileys with beer

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: May 20, 2010 06:38PM

I, for one, liked reading the story.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: May 20, 2010 06:52PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 20, 2010 06:58PM

Whatever. I'm cool with MikeO. It keeps the board active. I've signed on during the day and there isn't a post for hours. Without MikeO we might not get one for days.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: May 20, 2010 11:46PM

That is cool with me. I agree that stagnation on a board is what kills a message board. smileys with beer

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: May 21, 2010 02:48AM

Interesting story-thanks for posting it. I don't always agree with everything Mike O says, but who always agrees on everything anyway? This palce is a fun place to read about other fan's opinions.It's all good with me thumbs up

Date: May 21, 2010 07:58AM

Mike0 gives topics to talk about
keep it up dog!

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: May 21, 2010 08:23AM

I really don't care what some here think of MikeO, I like him and his posts. I might not agree, but that's okay too.

Mike, good for you with your home based business. Nothing like being your own boss. Go for it man, go for it!!smileys with beer

Back in the day, I mean way back in the day, some of my friends and I had some nice contacts with the Phins too. Worked their charter flights from MIA. That was fun, but a long time ago.

When's training camp coming. Dam I can hardly wait!hot smiley

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: May 21, 2010 10:29AM

Can't sweat the small stuff ...

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: May 21, 2010 11:39AM

Nice story. Anyway, I consider Mike to be someone who has enough football knowledge for me to read his posts with some degree of seriousness, and that's all I expect or want from a board that's founded on the principle of discussing the topic of football.

On the other hand, I find Mike to have a smart ass mouth and lacking basic respect in some posts when he considers someone opinion to be sub standard. But that's not something that you can debate about on a message board. I got over it, so can you.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: May 21, 2010 11:40AM

Also: couldn't you just private message him with this question? I mean, it's not really a subject worthy of its own topic on the main board.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: May 21, 2010 12:14PM

I thought your background piece was interesting. Hopefully that will put to rest all those comments some people make about you lying about the Phins job offer or knowing people in the business.

Date: May 21, 2010 07:47PM

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

Posted by: Teri ()
Date: May 27, 2010 10:19AM

As you can see most of us like your posts. Please ignore the facetious
comments. I enjoyed reading your explanation even 'tho you don't owe one. There are interesting articles and videos I wouldn't have a chance to enjoy if it wasn't for your dedicated interest in my beloved Miami Dolphins. THANK YOU!

Date: May 27, 2010 03:03PM

Teri are you MikeO's girlfriend or something? you have 2 posts on this message board and they both are telling MikeO how much you love him.

Date: May 27, 2010 03:07PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> Teri are you MikeO's girlfriend or something? you
> have 2 posts on this message board and they both
> are telling MikeO how much you love him.

Hey don't be mowing my lawn man, find your own groupies!

lol

Date: May 27, 2010 04:27PM

Who cares about his job offer, and what he did before. I don't discuss what I do or who I know because I don't want publicity. I am just a dolphins fan who only wants to go to a like minded sight without having someone try and be the message board hog. Mike O really can be annoying to some of us who feel that he is out for fame and glory, and not a true dolphins fan. I have clashed with him many times on this board because he tends to single me out when ever I post. It does not bother me because an I can handle my own in any argument. It should not matter what you do or who you know . What matters is do you love the Dolphins, and if so how much? That is all true dolphin fans really care about. I will continue to post ,and answer Mike O and even criticize him when warranted. I expect he will do the same to me as well.

Date: May 27, 2010 06:07PM

>What matters is do you love the Dolphins, and if so how much?
Finshady, I love the Dolphins so much, that I am not able to watch the game live. I have to tape it. Watching a game live and worry about possible fumbles and interceptions is too much for me to bear. When they win I can enjoy every play!

Date: May 27, 2010 06:21PM

that's pretty weird teri

Date: May 28, 2010 04:08AM

Ok Teri I wonder how you go through life if you can't watch the Dolphins live. It is only a sport, and not life or death. I am a diehard fan of the team, but I also have my priorities in order. I can only hope that someday soon you will be able to do the same for the sake of your own sannity.

Re: berkeley223
Date: May 28, 2010 08:45AM

I agree, so does everybody around me.

Date: May 28, 2010 10:07AM

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: May 28, 2010 10:35AM

Teri Wrote:
> >What matters is do you love the Dolphins, and if
> so how much?
> Finshady, I love the Dolphins so much, that I am
> not able to watch the game live. I have to tape
> it. Watching a game live and worry about possible
> fumbles and interceptions is too much for me to
> bear. When they win I can enjoy every play!

That's what my mother-in-law does with the UNC basketball games. Says she gets too mad if she watches the games live so she just doesn't do it. Kinda obsessive but...to each his own.

Date: May 28, 2010 06:55PM

GBOFinFan, I am glad I am not the only one. It is so much more fun when I know I can relax and smile even when the zebras missing calls or making bad ones.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.