HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Zach Thomas is hall of fame worthy
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Zach Thomas is hall of fame worthy
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: May 20, 2010 03:14PM

Poll
Is Zach Thomas a Hall of Famer
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
33 votes were received.
Yes he is worthy 19

58%
No not quite good enough 6

18%
Borderline it depends on what year the vote takes place 8

24%

I think he is and should be elected some of you will agree others wont. I think he gave everything he could to play the game he loved so much. He wasn't the most gifted athlete, but he was good enough to lead the team in tackles for many years. I hope Zach makes it in because he was the epitomy of what it takes to be a consumate professional both on and off the field. Zach definately gets my vote if I had one. Do you guys agree if so why? or if not then why not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zach Thomas is hall of fame worthy
Date: May 20, 2010 03:49PM

1st ballot

Date: May 20, 2010 03:53PM

agreed

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 20, 2010 07:02PM

these are the lbs currently in the HOF. Zach is on the lower end of this list--maybe as good as MLBs like bounaconte and carson. There are some good mlbs who I think are at Zach's level who aren't in, like Sam Mills. I admit I haven't heard of a lot of the older guys from the 50s

Willie Lanier 1967-1977
Ted Hendricks 1969-1983
Dave Wilcox 1964-1974
Andre Tippett 1982-1993
Nick Buoniconti 1962-1974, 1976
George Connor (also DT, OT) 1948-1955
Bill George 1952-1966
Joe Schmidt 1953-1965
Sam Huff 1956-1967, 1969
Ray Nitschke 1958-1972
Mike Singletary 1981-1992
Jack Lambert 1974-1984
Bobby Bell (also DE) 1963-1974
Harry Carson 1976-1988
Jack Ham 1971-1982
Derrick Thomas 1989-1999
Rickey Jackson LB (also DE) 1981-1995
Dick Butkus 1965-1973
Lawrence Taylor 1981-1993

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 06:42AM

My take: an intelligent and studious interior LB that got more out of his tool set then maybe any LB has ever done. His knack for knowing what the opponent was going to do and his ability to direct his teammates where to go was spectacular, and part of the reason for the great Dolphins Defense in the 90's. If the Dolphins had of at least one super bowl victory during that time I would say his HOF election would be unquestionable.

However, Zach probably hung around the NFL just a bit too long, and the memory of his greatness is dulled by his more recent mediocrity when his legs just did not carry him to the tackle like they did when he was a superstar.

Of all the 80's- Modern LBS on the HOF list (the ones I saw play) I'm going to say Zach is better then Andre Tippett, Rickey Jackson and perhaps a little less then Harry Carson. However I'm going to predict that he will not make the Hall due to lack of a Championship.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: May 21, 2010 07:04AM

Date: May 21, 2010 07:11AM

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: May 21, 2010 08:33AM

Zach Thomas and Nick Buoniconti two from the same mold. Small for a MLB, not expected to make it, smart as hell, could read plays better than anyone. Close to the same size (Nick could have put on a few lbs easy). Interesting and makes me think of what Nick would do in todays NFL. No one would think he'd make and that is for sure.

Date: May 21, 2010 12:51PM

you can't compare Zach to some player that rushed the passer. Zach played middle line backer pretty damn well for 12 seasons. I don't care who is not in the HOF Zach deserves to be their based on his body of work.

Date: May 21, 2010 01:45PM

You have to care who ISN'T in the hall of fame because those are the people he will be up againt EVERY YEAR in the near future fighting to get in with. And using your own words.."playing pretty damn well"....that doesn't get you in the Hall. You have to play at the highest of levels for an extended period of time.

Peter King said it best today, Zach will be an interesting case. Doesn't think he will get in, but if the right person presents him in a compelling way, he has a shot.

Date: May 21, 2010 02:43PM

If Zach is not worthy then neither is Ray Lewis same player different teams.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 02:53PM

Date: May 21, 2010 02:55PM

I was talking about impact middle linebackers.

Date: May 21, 2010 03:02PM

Date: May 21, 2010 03:20PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> But Mike, the question isn't: "does Zach deserve
> to get in before player X?"
>
> The question is: "Is Zach on par with the guys
> that are in there already?"
>
> Who isn't in the Hall has no bearing on whether
> Zach deserves to be there, only on when he might
> actually get voted in.

The longer you are out of the game the harder it is to get in. Talk to Art Monk!! Floyd Little played his last game in 1975 and it took till the year 2010 to get in. So, it has a TON OF BEARING on who isn't in currently. Because if he is at the bottom of the list of guys now who are being considered or borderline now of guys who aren't currently in, then 6 or 10 years from now if we are still talking about Zach getting in the way Doleman is talked about getting in, it becomes harder and harder each year. Then throw in the likelyhood of Ray Lewis retiring soon, and he will leapfrog Zach the second he becomes eligable at the same position.

It has a ton of bearing. They ONLY let so many people in each year. The class has a size limit. Each year more and more people who have been retired become eligable which adds to the pool. It's not about getting in over person X or person Y. Its about, we have a pool of these eligable guys who are Hall of Fame worthy/consideration. Zach is fighting it out among them to get in or not. So if you got a guy with 150 sacks, Top 5 all time in sacks or whatever he is, and Zach...who's gonna realisticly get the vote?? Odds are Doleman. And its not just Doleman, that is just one example.

When Zach becomes eligable, Zach will be in a pool of guys hall of fame worthy. Each year the pool gets bigger. And each year you don't get in, it becomes harder to get in. 1 more year removed. 1 more year of guys saying I ain't voting for him for a reason so why change my mind now. Each year more "automatic locks" become eligable so they leapfrog Zach.

I don't think Zach gets in. Not good enough and never the dominate LB of his era, Ray Lewis was. But hey, Zach might get in, but it may also be a very long wait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2010 03:22PM by MikeO.

Date: May 21, 2010 03:26PM

You guys are looking at this through rose colored glasses a 5th round draft pick too small, and slow to be a very good player becomes one of the best middle line backers to play the game. I think he deserves to get in on the 1st ballot. He was the best defender on our roster for many freaking years, and he was the heart and soul of our defense. Zach Thomas you will get your canton call 5 years from now.

Date: May 21, 2010 03:45PM

Finshady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You guys are looking at this through rose colored
> glasses a 5th round draft pick too small, and slow
> to be a very good player becomes one of the best
> middle line backers to play the game. I think he
> deserves to get in on the 1st ballot. He was the
> best defender on our roster for many freaking
> years, and he was the heart and soul of our
> defense. Zach Thomas you will get your canton
> call 5 years from now.

No chance he is 1st ballot. Not even close.

The 5th round pick while a "Nice story" doesn't come into effect on whether he gets in or not. No extra points for being a mid to late round pick and having a good career. He wasn't our best defender for all those years, JT was with his 120+ sacks was in my opinion and in many others. And almost every defensive player in the hall of fame was the "best" or "heart and soul" of their defense. Once again, no brownie or extra points for that.

Zach may get in, he may. But he also might be a grandfather when it happens. It might take a while.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: May 21, 2010 05:58PM

I don't care about how big he was or the round he was drafted in. Zach has had a HOF career.

Date: May 21, 2010 07:23PM

Date: May 21, 2010 07:55PM

Well we disagree on a couple things.

1) Who Zach is up against in a specific year is important. I don't think you can't say it doesn't matter and you are either a hall of fame player or your not. I know that your "sepcific" question isn't "when" he will get in, but I think you can't look at it in a vaccum. And you have to look at it in a big picture and say, what year does he get in and who is he more worthy than and getting in over or before.

2) On to your other point, I don't think he is on par with the other MLB's already in. That is just my opinion. Some share it, some don't. It will be a debate I think will go on for years until he gets in or until, well he doesn't after many years.

Trying to guess who gets in and doesn't get in the hall of fame is damn near impossible these days. How Cris Carter and Shannon Sharpe aren't in is a total joke. So trying to predict this stuff is impossible. There is no right or wrong answer on Zach. Only time will tell who is right and who is wrong

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: May 22, 2010 02:32PM

I saw every game ZT played.

IMO I think he is hall of fame worthy, but I am not so sure he will get in. He never did get the National media attention that Ray Lewis did. If he had the hype Ray Lewis had around him he would have won multiple POY awards. He was impact player that made impact players at or behind the line of scrimage. He made great plays every game often multiple plays that would be impactg plays. JT benefited from his run defense to put him in more 3rd down passing situations.

IMO ZT should have won Defensive Player of the Year in 98. Some of his best years, he had the bad luck of having someone else also having a career years. ZT also had better year than Ray Lewis in 03. (Ray Lewis won that year because of reputation not achievements)

Date: May 22, 2010 04:44PM

you are right I guess if ypu toot your own thuggery horn your more likely to get elected to the HOF. Ray Lewis has always had more hype because coming from the University of thugs what else do you expect. Zach on the other hand always let his actions speak louder than words. I guess if Zach would of called himself the best then played like it a HOF pass would be more in order sounds kind of dumb to say the least.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 11:09AM

Zach is not close to being the player Ray Lewis and he is even further from being the team leader that Lewis is. Love the phins and I live in the Bmore area Ray Lewis deserves every single accolade he gets. He is neither a thug or self promoter. He is the leader of the Ravens. Many a times I wish Taylor or Thomas would step up and lead like Ray Lewis.

Hate when folks knock what they don't have. The dude is a 1st ballot HoF, Thomas will be lucky to get in

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 01:33PM

I think Thomas gets in, and I dont think he gets in on his play alone. I think his character, respect among players and the leauge, gets him in. It is hard to say there are better character guys out there then Zach, what he meant to his team and the NFL for that matter, gives him the nudge he needs to get in IMO. When people look back at the NFL of 90's and 00's, Zach Thomas is a player that should be remebered and honored and I think the HOF voters will agree at some point. My guess he finds his way into the HOF, maybe not first ballot, but eventually he makes it.

Date: May 24, 2010 01:53PM

Last time I checked Zach Thomas wasn't close to murdering anybody. Nor does he hang out with thugs, and have a bad self discipline about him like Ray Lewis. So be careful what you say Mizzou you take Lewis off of that Ravens defense and put Thomas in his place and Thomas's numbers are better than Lewis's those are the facts. Lewis has built up this persona about him with brash bravado and mostly trash talking. Thomas however just went out and played the game very well each and ever sunday. Ray Lewis is a me 1st player, and Thomas was a team 1st player.
Now maybe Thomas should have tooted his own horn, but real professionals let their actions speak for them.

Date: May 24, 2010 01:57PM

Ray Lewis is not a "me first" player. Not even close. The guy is one of the best MLB's to ever play the game.

This is where people who think Zach is a hall of fame player lose credibility. You can make the case Zach is a HOF player and have a strong and valid argument, but when you start to knock and tear down Ray Lewis in the process or presenting Zach, you lose all credibility which hurts your stance on Zach.

Ray Lewis is a better player than Zach. That isn't a knock on Zach but a flat out fact. To try and tear down Ray Lewis is silly on every level. And the off the field stuff doesn't come into play on whether a guy is hall of fame worthy or not. Michael Irvin got in...nuff said!!!

Date: May 24, 2010 02:19PM

It does come in to play Mike O. Ray Lewis is a self promoting thug that is neither HOF worthy if Thomas is not worthy. I am not tearing down Lewis just presenting the facts as they are. If you were truly a dolphin fan, and I am not disputing if you are or are not anymore the mere fact that you don't think Thomas is HOF worthy after you watched him give every and leave everything on the field makes me really think less of you than I already do. Just when I think you are not half bad you come back with some retarded comments as usual.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 02:20PM

Ray Lewis is an obvious first ballot HOF, Zach and Lewis have nothing to do with each other, Zach and Lewis are not the same guy, but Ray is a leader and greatly respected, just like Zach. I will say this about the comparison, If Zach were Ray Lewis's size, he would have been undoubtedly the greatest football player to ever play the game IMO.

Date: May 24, 2010 02:43PM

Date: May 24, 2010 05:00PM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.