HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ireland Press Conference
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ireland Press Conference
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 24, 2010 02:01PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ireland Press Conference
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 24, 2010 02:07PM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > "Ricky and Ronnie kind of in their last year, we
> are aware of that"

RESPONSE: I'm surprised you quoted this. Did you give a second's thought to it, MikeO?

Date: April 24, 2010 02:09PM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 24, 2010 02:13PM

Defense wins you championships! I got no problem with drafting 7 defensive guys. If they cant score they cant beat you!

Date: April 24, 2010 02:19PM

Ireland also said still trying to move Smiley. He won't be back as a Dolphin

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 24, 2010 02:27PM

MikeO Wrote:
> Everyone knows they are in their last year of
> their contract. So what? Doesn't mean you have to
> replace them THIS YEAR!!

RESPONSE: Not is they are young and healthy? (What an idiot..)

>
> Jesus christ you simply don't get it!!

RESPONSE: Another declaration of victory on your part.

>
> Incase you haven't heard there is an NFL DRAFT
> every April buddy

RESPONSE: And your point is.......oh,,,,we should wait until next year to draft our offensive needs... and having devoted the entire draft to defense and (worse) almost exclusively linebackers....YEAH I GET IT...WE'LL EVEN HAVE HIGHER PICKS IN THE 2011 DRAFT!

YAY!!!

Date: April 24, 2010 02:30PM

RB isn't an offensive need!!!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 24, 2010 02:32PM

Date: April 24, 2010 02:34PM

Good I tag-out....Phinsfan2 you try to get it through his head that RB isn't a need this year.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 24, 2010 02:36PM

Date: April 24, 2010 02:39PM

And RB isn't a need. If Ronnie was traded then yes. He wasn't. So it isn't!

His point ONLY makes sense IF we were a good team. We weren't. We are a team with no defense and voids everywhere and trying to find starters on one side of the ball. We have NO LUXERY picks!! Every pick we make is to build a defense!

Drafting a 3rd string RB who won't play is dumb. Next April in Rd 1 or 3 we can find a young RB. Or in this thing called FREE AGENCY we can go get someone.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 24, 2010 02:49PM

RB was one of those positions this year they could have drafted someone and I would have understood, or they could not draft someone and I'd understand. You're actually both right about this issue.

Date: April 24, 2010 02:51PM

Draft a RB, fine....

Who ya cutting, Ronnie, Ricky, Cobbs, Hillard, Poliete???

The "RB/FB" position only gets so many spots on the 53 man roster. So who ya getting rid of??

If you draft one then Cobbs and Hillard are probably both gone. Does that make sense?

Date: April 24, 2010 02:52PM

Only if it was someone like Spiller or of that caliber. Don't put the anger blinders on, I see your point just like I see his point.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: April 24, 2010 02:53PM

RB definitely isnt a pressing need offensively. Going into the year with two good RBs. if one gets hurt then the other carries the load. like last year with ricky finishing the year. less pressure on RB cuz of Marshall and development of Henne. it makes sense not drafting a RB if there is little chance of him seeing the field. hilliard is good 3rd RB and cobbs is back.

on the other hand, ricky is old and ronnie is injury prone so i wouldnt have been upset with a RB. but it is not a necessity and there was no need to force the pick. im sure they had a few they liked but maybe they didnt fall to miami or whatever. no need to take one just to take one.

Date: April 24, 2010 02:55PM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
> RB definitely isnt a pressing need offensively.
> Going into the year with two good RBs. if one
> gets hurt then the other carries the load. like
> last year with ricky finishing the year. less
> pressure on RB cuz of Marshall and development of
> Henne. it makes sense not drafting a RB if there
> is little chance of him seeing the field.
> hilliard is good 3rd RB and cobbs is back.
>
> on the other hand, ricky is old and ronnie is
> injury prone so i wouldnt have been upset with a
> RB. but it is not a necessity and there was no
> need to force the pick. im sure they had a few
> they liked but maybe they didnt fall to miami or
> whatever. no need to take one just to take one.

Exactly.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: April 24, 2010 03:00PM

We weren't going to draft a running back unless perhaps it was Spiller and maybe even McCluster. Given the fact that we drafted so many linebackers, I don't think we targeted Spiller though. I think we targeted McClain and when he was gone, we traded back.

Date: April 24, 2010 03:01PM

Jonathan Twilley Wrote:
> We weren't going to draft a running back unless
> perhaps it was Spiller and maybe even McCluster.
> Given the fact that we drafted so many
> linebackers, I don't think we targeted Spiller
> though. I think we targeted McClain and when he
> was gone, we traded back.

I was shocked McClain went that high. Only bigger shock to me as far as reaches go in the first was the Jax pick and Tebow.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 24, 2010 03:05PM

Here's the thing with the tough spot we are in at RB. The staff really likes Patrick Cobbs and Lex Hilliard. Cobbs is such a versatile player that it took about 4 different guys to fill all the roles he played for us. Hilliard showed a lot of improvement from his rookie season. He ran well in limited chances, and really surprised with how well he caught the ball out of the backfield. So, now throw in Ronnie and Ricky, and you have 4 RB. You're not going to carry 5 RB on the 53-man roster. So, there is no spot for anyone else at the moment. As it is, we don't have room for Kory Sheets, who was one heckuva of a RB at Purdue, and is a big play threat. And we also have Tristan Davis on the roster. Ronnie and Ricky aren't tradeable. Ricky is one drug test away from a long suspension. And he's happy in Miami, and any other team would likely be scared that if he left Miami, he'd start smoking again. Ronnie, when he signs his tender, will be in the last year of his contract, making $4M, coming off his second major injury in 3 years. No team is going to give you anything close to fair value for him. If healthy, Ronnie is great offensive weapon. He has more value to us by being on the roster than he does by trading him for some late round pick who may never even make our team. You see, Ronnie would only have value if he is willing to sign a long term deal with his new team. And Ronnie wants to be in Miami. So, he's not signing such a deal. And thus, he's not being traded. RB will likely be a major need for us in 2011. But, it's not right now. And with how much they like Hilliard and Cobbs, it's tough to fit a new guy into the picture.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 25, 2010 01:45PM

and the fact that this was a weak weak weak RB class! Did I mention it was weak?

CJ Spiller and Ryan Mathews were the only first round talents and I think Mathews is the better of the two. That being said, I think Spiller will do ok in Buffalo because he isn't going to be counted on as the work horse/ every down back. He had to go to a team that already had a good work horse.

Problem for Buffalo is going to be their O-line...since they didn't do much to address it...or the receivers. Marcus Easley, WR, Connecticut ???

Next year our number 1 will go to RB. There will be nothing available in FA in 2011.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.