HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Round 1 Step Back
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Round 1 Step Back
Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: April 23, 2010 05:27AM

I know several on here will disagree but the Odrick pick was a huge step back in the first round. If you drink the trifecta kool-aid then I'm sure you like the pick now even though you didn't know who Odrick was last week. By trading back in the first round it allowed the Dolphins to gather more mediocre players on their roster. They had the chance to take Earl Thomas at 12 and passed up on a safety that is a game changer. They could have selected Dan Williams at 12 if they wanted a NT but instead decided to trade back and take a second tier defensive lineman. Now they still need a safety and will be taking a substantial step back from Earl Thomas in whoever they take.

The Phins could have landed a strong pass rusher in Brandon Graham, Jason Pierre-Paul, Jerry Hughes....and they missed out on all of them. Something to consider is that since 1997, only 4 franchises have had fewer pro-bowl players than the Dolphins. The first round of the draft continued a trend of adding mediocre players who will not be able to even make the Dolphins relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Round 1 Step Back
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 23, 2010 05:28AM

They wanted NT at 28 and almost got Dan Williams at 28 (which was the plan). Zona took him before us though.

It happens.

Date: April 23, 2010 05:29AM

and do we need a saftey?? Or are we happy with Culver/Clemons? Or do we wait till June 1st and make a run at the St.Louis saftey who will be on the market

Date: April 23, 2010 05:32AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 23, 2010 05:38AM

And after reading Hokie Phins post Mike, I truly apologize to you for ever accusing you of being negative

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 23, 2010 05:45AM

It's a good point that this guy is a replacement to McDaniel. I wouldn't be surprised to see McDaniel cut during TC. He's not an every down player and his antics off the field have probably worn thin.

Posted by: dres9711 ()
Date: April 23, 2010 06:03AM

I couldn't disagree with you more Hokie Phin. I actually had Ordrick on the Phins radar. Moreover, this guys is a beast and a major upgrade over McDaniels.

Just because you have a decent player at a position doesn't mean he can't be upgraded. Also, you talk of Earl Thomas, which I too was in love with, but you fail to recognize there are still VERY GOOD FS in Morgan Brunette and Jason Allen. Also suitable upgrades in Major Wright and Chad Jones.

You also can't analyze the pick without looking at trade as a whole. First, wait till we pick our 2nd rounder and secondly, see what comes of this LB we got from the chargers.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 23, 2010 06:06AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see us land someone really good (Kindle?) in the 2nd round. It happened last year with Sean Smith. We're poised to see it happen this year as well by just picking the BPA!

Date: April 23, 2010 06:08AM

The more I read about Koa Misi, the more I love him

Date: April 23, 2010 06:13AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And after reading Hokie Phins post Mike, I truly
> apologize to you for ever accusing you of being
> negative

lol...look, some people just don't understand the draft and how to build a team and what "value" is.

Most people can't win or be succesful with their "Fantasy Football or Baseball" drafts playing for $50 or $100 among their idiot drunken friends. I'm not surprised people don't understand a draft dealing with players that are millionres and people running a billion dollar company!

Posted by: dres9711 ()
Date: April 23, 2010 06:13AM

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 23, 2010 06:56AM

Hokie Phin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know several on here will disagree but the
> Odrick pick was a huge step back in the first
> round. If you drink the trifecta kool-aid then I'm
> sure you like the pick now even though you didn't
> know who Odrick was last week. By trading back in
> the first round it allowed the Dolphins to gather
> more mediocre players on their roster. They had
> the chance to take Earl Thomas at 12 and passed up
> on a safety that is a game changer. They could
> have selected Dan Williams at 12 if they wanted a
> NT but instead decided to trade back and take a
> second tier defensive lineman. Now they still need
> a safety and will be taking a substantial step
> back from Earl Thomas in whoever they take.
>
> The Phins could have landed a strong pass rusher
> in Brandon Graham, Jason Pierre-Paul, Jerry
> Hughes....and they missed out on all of them.
> Something to consider is that since 1997, only 4
> franchises have had fewer pro-bowl players than
> the Dolphins. The first round of the draft
> continued a trend of adding mediocre players who
> will not be able to even make the Dolphins
> relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Fantasy Football doesn't win ball games. Having the best roster, top to bottom, makes you into a dynasty. If you can get B+ starters and B to B- stop gaps and backups, then sprinkle in some all pro game changers like Marshall and Dansby, you're looking at a recipe for success for many, many years to come.

I understand you're yearning for a seemingly All pro player like ET or the like, but remember: the draft is a 50/50 gamble. By adding a 2nd and keeping a 1st, we basically insure that we're going to have 1 good player out of the deal.

Also, if you're truly into the draft, Odrick was on a lot of peoples radars. Just because people on this board didn't create threads and discuss him at length, doesn't mean the pick isn't a good one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.