HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Report: Ronnie to Lions talks heating up
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Report: Ronnie to Lions talks heating up
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 16, 2010 08:47PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Report: Ronnie to Lions talks heating up
Posted by: coopdogg3 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 08:54PM

I guess the "surprise" pick at 12 might be Spiller. But it would be risky to draft Spiller, then have the Lions back out of the trade. There would have to be an agreement beforehand.

Date: April 16, 2010 08:55PM

I agree, we don't take Spiller unless Ronnie is already moved.

Date: April 16, 2010 08:59PM

I'm dealing Ronnie for a 2nd. Then calling Dallas who has far too many RB's and offering them a 4th or a 5th for Marion Baber!!!

Posted by: coopdogg3 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 08:59PM

Another problem will be if Spiller isn't there. But I'm sure they will have contingency plans in place. Should be a fun time.

I guess we could always draft the Last Great White Hope in the 3rd.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 17, 2010 12:56AM

With Ronnie gone and Williams nearing the end, I don't see them taking Spiller who isn't tough between the tackles. We would then have to spend another high pick next year on a work horse type back with Spiller as the 3rd down guy.

I would rather have the NCAA rushing champ at 12...Ryan Mathews who had his best games against the toughest opponents.

Better yet...I would still rather go with ET and Deji Karim with a 4th round pick. (5'9 210 4.37-4.4 40....43" vertical...In 2009, 1,694 yards (7.1 YPC) and 18 TDs)

If he had been invited to the combine...

His vertical leap of 43 inches would have been first among all tailbacks, his broad jump of ten feet, three inches would have placed third, his 20-yard shuttle time of 4.05 seconds would have topped all tailbacks, his 6.67-second mark in the three-cone drill also would have been first, and his 19 reps in the 225-pound bench press would have been sixth among all tailbacks.

He is the prototype for a Parcels return guy...built almost exactly like Barry Sanders.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 17, 2010 01:17AM

If the Lions are looking at Ronnie then they want a big fast back. Ryan Mathews is the only one that comes close but Hardesty and Tate would be available at 34.

I don't know why they would be worried about those guys being around at 34. There will likely only be 3 RB's taken in the top 34 with Spiller and Best being the others.

I can't believe they would rather have Ronnie than Marshawn with the injury history or that they would part with the 34th pick. RB is better than ML when healthy but is never healthy for long.

I would even throw Smiley in the deal for pick 34! We could get a hell of a player at that spot.

.....................................................................................

Date: April 17, 2010 02:58AM

I think the Lions want a proven back.

They don't want Marshawn because of his (don't laugh now).......off the field history!!!

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 03:57AM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 17, 2010 04:26AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With Ronnie gone and Williams nearing the end, I
> don't see them taking Spiller who isn't tough
> between the tackles. We would then have to spend
> another high pick next year on a work horse type
> back with Spiller as the 3rd down guy.
>
Lex Hilliard. That's exactly what he is. A tough north-south between-the-tackles runner.

If we trade Ronnie we'll likely pick up a RB (probably a smaller, quicker, guy, like Cobbs) in the 3rd round or later, depending on how much they think we need a NT. I still think Earl Thomas will be our pick at #12. If we get a Detroit's 2nd for Ronnie, then we take a NT in the 2nd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 04:26AM by montequi.

Date: April 17, 2010 05:28AM

Cobbs has a major injury. Im not sure he will ever be the same. And he never had top level talent anyway. He as a guy with a lot of heart and grit who worked hard, but not alot of natural ability. If you take away or reduce the limited ability he had, Im not sure if he is a viable NFL RB. We will see

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 05:31AM

Date: April 17, 2010 05:34AM

Lets be honest. If Ronnie isn't traded to the Lions, he's going to be traded somewhere. They aren't reducing his Jersey price from $80 to $20 without knowing he ain't coming back for sure. Come hell or high water....HE'S GONE!

So if it ain't Detroit then its probably another team who will give us a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

Date: April 17, 2010 05:41AM

I still think we are adding Marion Barber if/when we trade Ronnie.

Can you imagine Ricky and Barber running between the tackles against 6 or 7 man fronts when we spread the field. Jesus Christ

Date: April 17, 2010 06:03AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 06:23AM

MikeO, you really think Parcells tells the guys who sell jerseys online that we are going to trade a player, and then they act accordingly by reducing the prices? No, the drop is either a coincidence, or has nothing to do with the particular players (i.e., any other jerseys drop in price recently, is there a sale?), or the folks selling the jerseys are guessing what we will do, along with all of us.

It's a nice theory though...

Date: April 17, 2010 06:56AM

Date: April 17, 2010 06:59AM

Date: April 17, 2010 07:12AM

don't like the idea of trading him---however, if we could get DET's #2 for him (I see that as unlikely) and then trade a 5th and 6th for Barber, then I like it. At this point in their careers I don't see Barber as that big of a drop off from Brown.

With Det's #2 we could take a NT (probably will have our pick of the 3d best in the draft by then, maybe Cody? but he could go in the 1st), use #12 on Thomas or a LB, and then BPA the rest of the way (maybe even a RB in the 3d or 4th)---that would be a great move!!

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: April 17, 2010 07:21AM

I dont see a difference between barber and lex hilliard, Infact I think that lex should be our starter this year since he is our best back out of the base offense. The top portion of this draft is weak at running back and I cant stand CJ spiller, i cant believe that he is the top back and how many people even heard of or had matthews as a top back during the preseason? Spiller is an underachiever. In the 2008-09 season he had sooooo much preseason hype and who ended up getting most of the carries? James "buster" davis who ended up going in the 6th round to cleveland last year. Spiller is a third round back and the fact that he is number one shows what a weak draft it is at running back...

When you say ohhh look at all the things he can do, you can flank him out side, you can line him up at slot, he can return kicks blaah blaah blaah... that is what you say about a late pick guy that is trying to make the team, not a mid round running back. Tell me about how he can give 23-27 carries per game. Please, wake up.

Date: April 17, 2010 09:14AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If the Lions are looking at Ronnie then they
> want
> > a big fast back. Ryan Mathews is the only one
> that
> > comes close but Hardesty and Tate would be
> > available at 34.
>
>
> If this report is true, the Lions aren't waiting
> to see if Hardesty or tate will be there at #34.
> They BOTH will be. No way either of them, let
> alone both of them go in the 1st round.
>
> It's all about Ryan Matthews. They want to see
> if he gets past SD. I hope he doesn't.

Yeah that was basically my point. No way Mathews will be there. If teams are smart...and I think they are, Mathews will be the first RB taken. That's what I have in my latest mock as well.

Date: April 17, 2010 09:20AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> MikeO, you really think Parcells tells the guys
> who sell jerseys online that we are going to trade
> a player, and then they act accordingly by
> reducing the prices? No, the drop is either a
> coincidence, or has nothing to do with the
> particular players (i.e., any other jerseys drop
> in price recently, is there a sale?), or the folks
> selling the jerseys are guessing what we will do,
> along with all of us.
>
> It's a nice theory though...

As a matter of fact I know for 100% sure the website works hand in hand with the front office on matters like this. IT WAS THE JOB I INTERVIEWED FOR A FEW YEARS BACK!! Trust me, I know. Press releases for major announcements are always made up in advance, then tweaked when the news and paticular detais are made official. That department always is 1 day ahead. Hence so is the website as the website works hand in hand with the PR people.

I'm not saying the website people are in the office as Ireleand and Parcells are making decisions and on the telephone. Not saying that at all, but do they get a 24 or 48 hour heads up on what is happening so they can prepare and adjust the site accordingly.....YES!

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: April 17, 2010 09:37AM

So I get it now you're an out of work T- shirt salesman that explains alot Mike O.

Date: April 17, 2010 09:42AM

out of work t-shirt salesman, cute. Better than wearing a white hood and walking around pimping Toby Gerhart just because he is white!!

Why are you online today?? Aren't you supposed to be at a meeting spewing your hate?!?!?!?!?

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 10:18AM

Lions, Chargers, Chiefs, Seattle could use Ronnie. If we can get the lions 2 I would be happy.

if we move him we need to get Spiller, Matthews, gerhart best or hardesty and also pick up a guy like Dixon, Tate, McNight, Joique bell, Karim, Blount in later rounds. Karim may be the guy

Date: April 17, 2010 12:23PM

I just don't see why a team would trade a high 2d rounder for brown when they could have Best at that pick. Brown is coming off a serious foot injury and 2 yrs removed from a knee injury. It's not even known if he will fully recover from the foot injury, since he's not yet recovered. Plus he's getting old for a RB and will want a big contract. I know Best has had injury issues but still, nothing like RB, and nothing with his legs.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:11PM

Report says Lions won't come off a 2nd, read the whole thing, including the articles authors response to some of the comments. They only want to part with 3rd rounders. No way would I trade ronnie brown for a 3rd.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 18, 2010 04:26AM

You guys crack me up. RONNIE for #34 is a NO-BRAINer. But I would be sad to see RONNIE BROWN suit up somewhere else for anything less than a 2nd!

Date: April 18, 2010 04:34AM

ronnie for a 34 is a no brainer in the sense that DET would have to have no brains to give up that high a pick for an injured and injury prone power back on the wrong side of 25 for a RB. A 3d is more likely

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: April 18, 2010 11:18AM

So-back to the "jersey reduced in price" argument-still weak, at best. Have you ever heard of "inventory control"? And - "the bleacherreport"? Seriously?

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2010 11:22AM by dolphan4545.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.