HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          A "surprise" at #12
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: A "surprise" at #12
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 04:29AM

Do you guys think we would pass on Haden if he is still available to take Earl Thomas? I find this hard to believe. I think we would take Berry over Haden but I dont buy Earl THomas over Haden. THomas looked a little rough back peddling in the combine. His film shows he can find the ball and tackle, but it looks like he'd get beat in 4 Wr sets and is only a safety. Berry could play both and so could Haden, Earl I dont think so. That is a high draft pick for someone that can not cover bumpn run one on one IMO. Earl Thomas reminds me of Jason Allen back peddling and rotating his hips. One of the reason Allen is not a good CB is his back peddle and ability to rotate hips.... he had hip surgery in between college and NFl and Saban still took him what 17 saying he could play both CB and safety... Never happened, hips

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 17, 2010 05:32AM

We are paying big money to Vonte, Smith, and Will Allen. Drafting another CB in Rd 1 (high Rd 1 as well) and paying him big bucks makes zero sense.

I would rather have McClain than Haden and I am not a big McClain fan at all. At least with McClain you can justify adding a linebacker to this team. You can't justify adding a CB

Date: April 17, 2010 05:52AM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We are paying big money to Vonte, Smith, and Will
> Allen. Drafting another CB in Rd 1 (high Rd 1 as
> well) and paying him big bucks makes zero sense.
>
> I would rather have McClain than Haden and I am
> not a big McClain fan at all. At least with
> McClain you can justify adding a linebacker to
> this team. You can't justify adding a CB

I hear what you are saying Mike, my thought on Haden was the surprise talk, and the talk of taking Early Thomas at #12. I dont see it if Haden is still on the board. As far as money talk goes, we have alot money in alot places. Smith by comparison of Allen or Davis, Dansby, Long, Carey, Grove, Marshall, Brown, etc is not making the big bucks. We also cut a highpriced Safety in Wilson so it would appear from last year they are not afraid to have another highpriced member of the secondary. With Haden, it gives the secondary flexibilty, all Cb's could essentially play both safety and Cb.

ps- we also cut a highpriced Porter at OLb, so I guess a highpriced player there is not out of the question, although a high priced Porter being on the phins had nothing to do with this Regime

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 06:01AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 07:03AM

Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 17, 2010 09:25AM

some have speculated that they could draft Haden at CB and move Sean Smith to FS.

you want to pay Corners more than Safeties...if your are making a 1st round pick better a corner than safety.

Sean Smith would be an excellent FS.

Date: April 17, 2010 09:27AM

more growing pains with a rookie CB and now a guy playing a position he has never played before at FS. That is throwing away the 2010 season before it even starts!!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 17, 2010 09:48AM

Date: April 17, 2010 02:37PM

I am defintely no Mike Mayock, I wanted to like the guy, he just didnt impress me in the combine with his back pedaling and hips. Watch it for yourself along with Berry and Haden. If he is drafted above either one of those guys I am going to be extremely surprised. That is all. Maybe he is the next Ed Reed, I just didnt see it, he reminds me of Jason Allen coming out of college., who went 17 as a safety

Date: April 18, 2010 02:55AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 18, 2010 03:39AM

we can all rip on j allen, but when he actually gets into games he looks pretty good

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 18, 2010 03:40AM

Date: April 18, 2010 04:34AM

Allen has kept on the team when almost all of the Saban era players are gone, so he has done something right. He just didnt belong in Rd 1 and that pick and his inability to get on the field as a cb or ball hawk hurt the phins.

Thomas if we pick him, I will be rooting for him and if Berry and Haden are off the board, he is by all accounts the next best player in the secondary and maybe we draft him.

I only posted the pro's becasue that is all that was posted about Thomas from Mayock. My intended point was that You can find good quotes from scouts on just about all the guys in the first 3 rds of the last countless drafts.

I am glad so many like Earl Thomas, I just wasnt blow away with his drills at combine compared to the other guys. But Taylors Mays looked the best in the drills and feetwork but he looked very unatural catching the ball. Earl Thomas by far looked the best and most natural catching the ball. But not the most natural backpedaling. I am not a scout but I am just telling you what I saw. I am curious to see how it all pans out. Analyzing players is such an art, who will be great and who will be mediocre and who will bust. Whoever we draft thats my guy, until then I guess I will continue to speculate like all of the rest here. One thing about opinions, everybody's got one. hahaha

Date: April 18, 2010 05:19AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Allen has kept on the team when almost all of the
> Saban era players are gone, so he has done
> something right.

Yeah he had a bad contract that made him tough to move at first. And now they gotta keep him cause they are so thin at saftey they need a warm body for training camp at least.

Date: April 20, 2010 07:54PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 20, 2010 08:05PM

MikeO Wrote:
> SURPRISE....trying to crack the code here. Maybe
> its....
>
>
>
> Let JT go...
>
> Dansby moves to OLB
>
> We draft McClain
>
> Just brainstorming and throwing it out there..

It would be a bizzaro move. Dansby's too valuable at ILB.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 21, 2010 02:35AM

Ireland spoke about Dansby's experience outside. He said that Dansby played on the strongside in a 4-3. And that in the defensive scheme they used, that position had most of the same responsibilities that the Dolphins have at the SILB position. So, Ireland's point was that Dansby has no experience doing what they expect their OLB to do. And considering that one of Dansby's real strengths is how he drops into passing lanes over the middle. I don't think they are moving him. It doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint. And it might piss off the player, too.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 21, 2010 01:59PM

Gil Brandt is friends with Parcels and said its not who you expect.

I saw on another site that Brandt said this player was the next Kellen Winslow Sr....The surprise pick could be Jermaine Gresham.

6'5 261 lbs, started 19-of-42 games at Oklahoma, catching 111 passes for 1,629 yards (14.68 yards per catch) and 26 touchdowns

After the catch: Runs like a large wide receiver but is as strong as an ox after the catch. Makes defenders miss with a quick stop move and is strong enough to push oncoming tacklers by.

Blocking: Effective, if not dominating, blocker in-line and on the edge when lined in the slot or in motion. On run plays he will get wide and put hands into the numbers to anchor. Latches onto defensive backs on downfield blocks, and will take them 25-30 yards downfield in front of screens. Strong enough to pancake smaller ends crashing down the line

Route running: Runs short, intermediate and deep routes effectively. Smooth runner. Quicker feet than expected, and runs tight routes inside and out. Sits down in zones and presents a large target. Will use head and body fakes before planting to cut. Constantly threatens the deep seam, as teams use a corner back to cover him. Uses his big body to shield defenders over the middle and especially in the red zone.

BP is looking for the next LT but he isn't here. The next Mark Bavaro maybe?

He took Fasano in the second round and he will be a FA soon and struggled last year with drops and fumbles so u never know.

Brandon Marshall and Brian Hartline on the outside. Bess in the slot and Gresham at TE. Forget about it.

It could even involve a trade down to do it.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 21, 2010 03:01PM

The 2 guys that I think are the best bets to be the "surprise" are Gresham and McClain.

Date: April 21, 2010 08:11PM

J-LO was on Jay Leno and said she hopes the Dolphins draft Dan Williams.

ha ha ha, ok NOW ITS TIME FOR THE DRAFT TO START. I am draft-talked-out!! I didn't need to hear what J-Lo thinks of the draft! Let's just start this thing and get it over with

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 22, 2010 11:14AM

J-Lo could be our NT with that ass of hers.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.