HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          A "surprise" at #12
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A "surprise" at #12
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 16, 2010 06:06AM

On the way into work this morning, I caught some of the replay of last night's "Late Hits" with Gil Brandt on Sirius NFL Radio. Gil Brandt is really the ultimate draft guru. He's been doing this for over 40 years as a GM and analyst. And he can recite 40 times and 3-cone drill times from 10 years ago. In 2007, when NFL Radio was doing the draft, they got to our pick, and everyone at the table said we'd take Brady Quinn. Gil says, "No, they are going to take Ted Ginn, Jr." The others kind of laughed at him, and said if we wanted Ginn we should trade down about 10 picks. Gil said we couldn't because the Rams wanted Ginn at #11. Ever since then, I listen to everything Gil says.

For a couple of weeks now, Gil has been saying that Sergio Kindle should be our pick. But, he also keeps saying he's probably wrong about that. Gil is very close to Parcells. He likes to talk about how Parcells has physical prototypes for each position, and hates to stray from those. Last night, a caller asked him if we would go with a LB or FS in round 1. Gil said he spoke to Parcells that morning, and that Parcells has their guy picked. And they have a couple of contingency plans. Gil said that he obviously cannot disclose the name, and that he won't until Miami is on the clock next Thursday. But, he did say, "who he takes may surprise you."

Now, who would be a surprise at #12? Certainly not Dan Williams Sergio Kindle, Derrick Morgan, or Earl Thomas. So, who could it be?
CJ Spiller?
Rolando McClain?
Dez Bryant?
Jermaine Gresham?
Mike Iupati?
Joe Haden?

Personally, I'm thinking it's McClain. And it would be a surprise because people are not thinking about an ILB for our pick.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A "surprise" at #12
Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 16, 2010 06:39AM

That would make sense since ireland came out and publicly said Karlos Dansby will be playing inside.

That immediately got everyone talking OLB.

What if they signed Dansby to be the OLB and while everyone is debating whether we should take Kindle, or Graham, or Pierre Paul...it isn't even a discussion?

Actually with McLain and Dansby they would have 2 guys that can ply in or out and that would allow guys like Wake to get on the field with them rather than instead of in place of them.

interesting pick

personally I hope we trade down and get a low 1st and a 2nd rounder.

If Bryant is somehow on the board....I see us dealing with Dallas.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 06:49AM

TAYLOR MAYS would be a surprise.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: April 16, 2010 07:24AM

As a big proponent of Earl Thomas at #12, everything your post insinuates makes my stomach queezy.

At this point I would really dislike taking McClain when we have such a glaring whole at FS. That and I think Dansby should play inside and if we didn't go FS that we should find a legit OLB.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 16, 2010 07:25AM

Don't forget that Crowder was more productive playing OLB...that would actually give us three guys that do both positions.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 07:57AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 08:37AM

I am now on board with wanting us to take Earl Thomas--which probably means we will end up taking someone who sucks like Kindle

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 16, 2010 10:05AM

We ain't drafting Kindle.

If we would have just kept Matt Roth things would be so much easier right now. JT can leave and it wouldn't matter. We could focus our draft board in a more narrow search. Not worry about OLB at all.

I will never understand that move one bit. It is the one move that will haunt us I think for a while

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 16, 2010 11:28AM

and keep in mind about the report that Channing Crowder's knee is "bone on bone at this point".

Surprises could be McClain, Haden or Pierre-Paul...

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 16, 2010 12:29PM

SURrrrrPRISE SURrrrrPRISE SURrrrrrPRISE its TIMMY TEBONE eye rolling smiley

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 12:41PM

I'm thinking we trade down, get our second back, and take Terrence Cody and a safety. Cody might have been a blob, but he showed me he has the desire and ability to do what he had to do to lose that excess weight, and nobody denies he's hard to move and ties up multiple blockers at the nose. Sounds to me like the definition of a nose tackle, and it would qualify as a surprise.

Rick

Date: April 16, 2010 12:48PM

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: April 16, 2010 01:10PM

Dez Bryant with #12. Then a trade some of the lower round picks to get in the second round and then its NTs and LBs baby!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 16, 2010 01:59PM

Why not just draft defense at #12 and then use a combination of lower round picks and select players to move up and take D. Thomas who I'd rather have than Dez anyway.

That way we improve both sides of the ball. The defense gets a top notch player and the offense gets another young protypical threat.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: April 16, 2010 02:46PM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm thinking we trade down, get our second back,
> and take Terrence Cody and a safety. Cody might
> have been a blob, but he showed me he has the
> desire and ability to do what he had to do to lose
> that excess weight, and nobody denies he's hard to
> move and ties up multiple blockers at the nose.
> Sounds to me like the definition of a nose tackle,
> and it would qualify as a surprise.

I just mentioned that on another thread except instead of a safety, I see a rush linebacker with the 2nd pick.

Date: April 16, 2010 02:52PM

Cody could be the guy...but we could get him in a trade down.

.....................................................................................

Date: April 16, 2010 02:53PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > and keep in mind about the report that Channing
> > Crowder's knee is "bone on bone at this point".
> >
> > Surprises could be McClain, Haden or
> > Pierre-Paul...
>
> I'd rather roll the dice on Pierre-Paul than draft
> Derrick Morgan.

I would have to agree at this point.

Date: April 16, 2010 03:27PM

See, Brandt indicated he knows who their guy is at #12. He's not talking about a trade down. And by "surprise," I think he means that it's someone not at one of the 3 positions where we have a huge, glaring need (OLB, NT, FS). So, assuming that, and knowing Parcells desire for physical prototypes, who would fit? There would be nothing surprising about Derrick Morgan, Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Sergio Kindle, or Jason Pierre-Paul.

CJ Spiller? No, I don't think he fits. We could use a big play weapon like him, and Ronnie and Ricky may both be gone in 2011. But, Spiller weighs 198 lbs. He doesn't fit Parcells' mold as a feature back. Parcells might see him as a great change of pace guy, but he's not going to throw out his physical prototype requirement on the #12 pick.

Rolando McClain? He would definitely be a surprise because people don't see ILB as a major need for us any more. But, Crowder was truly awful in 2009, and has knee issues. And he sure meets Parcells size requirements. He could be the guy.

Dez Bryant? This would sure be a surprise, but we could use another big WR.

Jermaine Gresham? Don't laugh. Gil Brandt has him ranked as one of the top 20 talents in the draft. He'd fill a need, and would be something of a surprise.

Jared Odrick? People aren't thinking a 5-technique, so he'd be a surprise.

Mike Iupati? We could use a G.

Joe Haden? Maybe pick up another corner, and ask Will Allen to move to FS?

The way Parcells loves LB, I think it's McClain. He may be the best player on the board when we pick. And I don't think it's out of the question for us to use him at SOLB, at least for a year or two. At SOLB, we are looking for run defense first, and he's way more athletic than Matt Roth, and we tried him there (and Vonnie Holliday, too). Or if they re-sign JT, McClain replaces Crowder inside. And then I'd lean toward Gresham as my 2nd choice for the surprise pick. They may be looking to give Henne another weapon.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 03:35PM

if we stay at 12, the Surprise.... Joe Haden or Dez Bryant. I think they would pick the top CB over the second best safety. Or double up on WR position to try and establish mismatches in the 4 wr set. The CB pick helps us cover all these WR in AFC, in spread offense and other 4 wr sets. It seems having 2 good corners is no longer enough in the NFL. Do you guys think we would pass on Haden to pick Earl THomas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2010 03:37PM by Crowder52.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 16, 2010 03:41PM

IF we draft Dez, allow us to spread the field and with our damn good o-line (when healthy) we could have Ricky and Ronnie (power runners) running against 6 man fronts and when they hit that 2nd level they would be running over little corners!!

Date: April 16, 2010 04:06PM

Some scouts are saying that McClain cant even play MLB in a 4-3 and u think he can play 34 SOLB? (not trying to sound sarcastic)

Here are the job descriptions from Nolan's defense...

1. 3-4 WOLB – This job requires you to rush the passer about 70 percent of downs.
2. 3-4 WILB – A banger that can plug the run and rush the passer from ILB 1 out of 3 downs.
3. 3-4 SILB – A smart, athletic player that can rush 1 out of 4 downs from ILB and collect tackles.
4. 3-4 SOLB – Needs to be good in coverage and on the TE, only rushes 50 percent.
5. 2-4 WOLB – Optional to be a hand-on-ground guy, is the primary pressure guy on pass downs.
6. 2-4 WILB – Must be very smart, and good in coverage, backing up and keeping things in front.
7. 2-4 SILB – Must be athletic enough to run with players in coverage.
8. 2-4 SOLB – Must be a dynamic pass rusher and be able to do damage from an up position.

McClain is not good in coverage and has limited pass rushing experience. He is likely to fill only one of these positions and that's # 2.

Date: April 16, 2010 04:07PM

from a former article....makes sense as the surprise pick...

20. SC: The Dolphins are looking for a SOLB to play opposite Wake or Jason Taylor on the weakside and there’s a number of prospects we like, but Everson Griffen of USC is someone we’re really high on to fill that spot. Are you a Griffen fan and can you see him as a SOLB?

DJ: I’ve not seen a lot of him this season, but that’s a good call about him fitting in at SOLB. I’ve obviously seen him quite a bit in previous seasons and he’s a strong player with a quick first step and he’s a very underrated athlete. He’s been inconsistent with his production but he looks to me like he’s going to fly up the charts as we get into the Combine and the pro days and people see more of him and what he can do. He has a lot to offer a 3-4 team, he’s very comfortable in space and he’s finding that he’s moving his way up through the first round. I think right now that most teams have him at the bottom of the first round right now, but he really could blow up at the Combine in Indianapolis and then he becomes a legitimate possibility for the 12th pick.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: April 16, 2010 04:43PM

Yes it would be a suprise because we aren't picking 12th. We are trading down to acquire more draft picks. I have a feeling something has already been worked out with another team.

Date: April 16, 2010 04:53PM

surprise ERIC BERRY is still on the board!!!

Date: April 16, 2010 05:50PM

eesti Wrote:

> Here are the job descriptions from Nolan's
> defense...
>

Nolan is known for not having a strict defensive system, he likes to adapt to who he has.

Gil Brandt on McClain:
"Very smart, and well coached. A very competitive player, who can play all three downs. Good blitzer."

Mel Kiper
"He is tall and rangy, and with his athletic ability, he could move outside in the right scheme."

Pro Football Weekly
"Athletic ability shows up in pass coverage- gets good depth in zone drops and runs with backs and tight ends in coverage- reacts to the thrown ball."

I don't think it's crazy. Not when we've played Matt Roth at the position. McClain's athleticism blows his away.

Date: April 16, 2010 06:02PM

eesti Wrote:
> from a former article....makes sense as the
> surprise pick...
>
> 20. SC: The Dolphins are looking for a SOLB to
> play opposite Wake or Jason Taylor on the weakside
> and there’s a number of prospects we like, but
> Everson Griffen of USC is someone we’re really
> high on to fill that spot. Are you a Griffen fan
> and can you see him as a SOLB?
>
> DJ: I’ve not seen a lot of him this season, but
> that’s a good call about him fitting in at SOLB.
> I’ve obviously seen him quite a bit in previous
> seasons and he’s a strong player with a quick
> first step and he’s a very underrated athlete.
> He’s been inconsistent with his production but
> he looks to me like he’s going to fly up the
> charts as we get into the Combine and the pro days
> and people see more of him and what he can do. He
> has a lot to offer a 3-4 team, he’s very
> comfortable in space and he’s finding that
> he’s moving his way up through the first round.
> I think right now that most teams have him at the
> bottom of the first round right now, but he really
> could blow up at the Combine in Indianapolis and
> then he becomes a legitimate possibility for the
> 12th pick.

Pro Football Weekly on Griffin:
"Did not live up to the hype at USC. Too much of his production comes against air or tight ends. Motor runs hot and cold. Interviewed poorly at the combine. Comes with a buyer beware label due to intermittent intensity, lack of discipline, and questions about his mental makeup. Overall lack of toughness could push him into the second round and keep him from ever realizing his potential."

Gil Brandt has him rated in the 31 to 40 range.

Date: April 16, 2010 06:15PM

I'm not saying I have EG rated that high but many teams, including the Dolphins don't follow the boards of Mel Kiper or Pro football weekly. Just trying to figure out what Brandy was talking about with the surprise pick.

I could surf the net and find just as many positive "scouting reports" on Griffin and just as many bad ones on McClain. I have ready many that say he will struggle against the faster TE's and RB's in the NFL.

Kiper said he could play outside "in the right scheme". I have seen videos with Mel talking about him playing outside as a SLB in a 4-3 not a 3-4. Blitzing and getting 8 career sacks is a different thing than being a full time pass rusher with an array of moves.

Date: April 16, 2010 07:13PM

Posted by: slipstream ()
Date: April 16, 2010 09:07PM

Parcells has never taken a safety in the first round. And a lot of the mocks have us with Dan Williams or an OLB. So, the "surprise" could in fact be Earl Thomas.

Date: April 17, 2010 12:34AM

I did not see it but Griffin almost single-handedly won the Notre Dame game from what i read.

Griffen, a defensive end who declared for the 2010 NFL draft after his junior year, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds at 268 pounds.

He participated in drills for defensive ends and outside linebackers and did "everything" well, according to one scout.

Griffen wanted to prove he's a hard worker amid concerns about his work ethic and maturity. "It all started with coach Jethro (Franklin) coming in," Griffen said, referring to USC's defensive line coach last season.
"He taught me more than playing football. He taught me off the field. Everything works together.
"You've got to do right off the field to do right on the field.
"That's what I tried to do this past year."

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.