HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Mike O this is for you
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Mike O this is for you
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: April 15, 2010 05:04PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mike O this is for you
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 15, 2010 05:11PM

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 15, 2010 05:29PM

Toby is a much better athlete than given credit for, he is a two sport athlete at Stanford. He is in no way a Tommy Vardell. Better compared to Riggins or Earl Campbell.

All time CA high schol rushing leader, more than Marcus Allen, Ricky Williams, Reggie Bush, OJ Simpson, Anthony Davis, Charles White, Ricky Bell, and all the others that came before him, and since.

9,662 yards

No he doesn't cut like Spiller or Best, or have the 4.3 breakaway speed, but 4.5 with his power is a nightmare. Steve Slaton and Brian Westbrook have speed but how dependable have them been. Ronnie Brown ran 4.43 at the combine. Does 1/10th of a second difference really mean much? I think people overemphasize tenths of second differences. Ted Ginn is a good example at WR.

Ronnie's durability is highly questionable. Lets check 40 speeed with a DB or two on your back!

Matthews or Gerhart would likely have longer careers, but then who knows.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 15, 2010 05:32PM

I got no problem with Gerhart. But he ain't getting picked in Rd 1!!!!! Anyone who thinks he is getting picked in Rd 1 like FINSHADY is insane and has no clue about NFL football. FINSHADY has a woody for Gerhart for some reason. Nobody is knocking Gerhart. If Miami picked him in Rd 4 I would be happy. But the guy is a 3rd or 4th round talent. That isn't a knock. That is the truth. Maybe a team falls in love with him and he goes in Rd 2, great. But FINSHADY is nuts to think he is getting picked in Rd 1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 05:32PM by MikeO.

Date: April 15, 2010 05:38PM

My guess is he will go in the second to New England,Seattle, San Francisco or possibly Denver

Date: April 15, 2010 05:42PM

Date: April 15, 2010 05:51PM

Anyone know Earl Campbell's 40 time?

Totally different runer than mcGahee

A guy named Csonka was a pretty good power back in the day.

Don't be surprised if New England uses a 2 on him.

Date: April 15, 2010 05:53PM

Csonka was a fullback

Date: April 15, 2010 05:53PM

I did compare him to Campbell. I watched him destroy USC Notre Dame, Oregon just to name a few teams. They knew he was going to get the ball the had 8 in the box. He still got yards before contact, and after contact. To me last year he was the best player in the Pac 10 by far. All I am saying is that he has had to fight racial sterotypes. Hell it says it in the article. My question is why can't we just see him for what he is which is a damn good running back. Me and Jlyell13 are the only two on this board who have watched him play last year. I was just trying to prove a point that stereotyping in the NFL still exists, and sadly it does. Their is no place for it in professional sports any where.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 15, 2010 05:55PM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Csonka was a fullback

A fullback in a different era. Fullbacks were runners back then. Most of them are receivers and blockers today. Csonka would not have been happy blocking and catching passes out of the backfield. If he was playing today, he'd be a RB.

Date: April 15, 2010 05:57PM

montequi Wrote:
> MikeO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Csonka was a fullback
>
> A fullback in a different era. Fullbacks were
> runners back then. Most of them are receivers and
> blockers today. Csonka would not have been happy
> blocking and catching passes out of the backfield.
> If he was playing today, he'd be a RB.

Teams only threw 10 passes a game back then. Bob Griese went 8-11 for 88 yards in a Super Bowl and won. QB's now do that on one drive!!!

Point is, Gerhart is in the Csonka mold. A fullback that can run better than your run of the mill fullback. Once again, nobody is ripping Gerhart. But don't deny what he is!!!

Date: April 15, 2010 06:01PM

Why do you insist to label him something he isn't? Mike O would you call him a full back if he were black hell no. The point is you can't get past your biases that is why I posted the article. Get with the times Mike O racism in any form is wrong.

Date: April 15, 2010 06:02PM

back to the race card. You are the biggest RACIST on this site. That's all you cling to when you can't win a debate! Any player his size and speed is a fullback. That isn't racist, thats breaking down the numbers.

YOU ARE THE RACIST Finshady!!!

Date: April 15, 2010 06:04PM

Date: April 15, 2010 06:09PM

Ok after rereading the article I hope we draft Gerhart before the Ravens do because I feel like he can help our team immensely. I have a feeling he won't make it past the Ravens in round 1. It will be Ray Rice And Toby Gerhart, a pretty darn good combination me thinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 06:10PM by Finshady.

Date: April 15, 2010 06:16PM

Date: April 15, 2010 06:19PM

I think you guys are taking this a bit too far. We all tend to sterotype people, especially when we haven't seen a lot of someone

The draft is the ultimate crap shoot. That's why guys like Brady & Colston go in the sixth & 7th round and guys like Leaf, Akili Smith, Jemarcus Russell, are drafted high.

There is no way to predict who will have sucessful careers, and pro sports organization positions are filled by nepotism many that don't know any more than we do!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 15, 2010 07:11PM

Gerhart is 6'0 231 lbs.

That is the exact same size as Ronnie Brown. How is he a fullback?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 15, 2010 08:25PM

John Riggins was a fullback. Regardless of how he was utilized or what other skills he had.

Gerhart will most likely be asked to put on some weight and will be utilized as a fullback in the NFL. If he gets drafted by the right team he'll still get to run the ball and that won't be such a bad thing for him.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 15, 2010 09:34PM

It would not be a bad thing to have a power runner that could break through the first line of defense. How durable is he? He has not gotten injured in college but what about the pros?

Everytime I consider him, I don't know why but I worry about him and injuries. Call it a premonition. I don't know. But hell, essentially Ricky is a power runner. Ricky has some fantastic moves but he runs over people too!

I too am drooling about Toby but is he durable? I mean, in the NFL.

I don't think Finshady is anything but a little vexed about why Gerhardt is not getting any more support on the chatboard.

KINDA LIKE I AM ABOUT JAHVID BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GUYS WILL COME AROUND WHEN WE DRAFT JAHVID. NUMBER 12 BOYS. GET READY!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 04:10AM

I watched at least 6 Stanford games that Gerhart play, was he the best player on the field yes, definately one of the top 3 players in the Pac 10. Yet I still do not think he will repeat his college performancees in the NFL. The players he reminds me of as I said once Brian Leonard, Barry Redden just did not do it. Could be wrong of course

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 16, 2010 04:35AM

"The guy has been the most scrutinized player in the draft this year."

I'd say that title goes to Tim Tebow.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 16, 2010 05:31AM

Odenn Wrote:
> "The guy has been the most scrutinized player in
> the draft this year."
>
> I'd say that title goes to Tim Tebow.

Was thinking the same exact thing

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.