HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          WR & draft options
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
WR & draft options
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: April 13, 2010 10:27AM

Poll
Which of these options moves the Phins the closest to winning the Super Bowl in the next 3 years?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
12 votes were received.
Pick Dez Bryant with the #12 overall and follow their draft board thereafter 5

42%
Pick best available OLB/S/NT with #12 overall and trade 2nd rounder + something for Brandon Marshall 7

58%
Pick best available OLB/S/NT with #12 overall and trade 2nd rounder + something for Vincent Jackson 0

0%

It sounds like the pre-draft market doesn't support a 1st rounder for Brandon Marshall. I really don't know what it would take (w/o paying the full 1st & 3rd price) to get Jackson. Let's say for argument's sake that, to get either one of them, it would take a 2010 2nd + a 2011 4th that could escalate to a 2nd based upon performance and behavior. The market for troubled WR seems to be at a fairly low point (Holmes).

I personally think that Marshall is the bigger off-field risk & on-field reward. I would prefer either of them for a 2nd+ than Dez Bryant at #12 because (a) it allows us to get a premium defensive player and fill two holes and (b) I like a proven WR rather than taking a flyer on a college WR.

I do not believe we should stand pat with our WR corps with the number of options apparently available to us. It will kill me if NE or NYJ walk away with Marshall (or potentially Jackson) for a 2nd+ and we end up with the same WR corps as we have and 1st & 2nd round defensive picks who may or may not be impactful NFL players.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WR & draft options
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 13, 2010 10:45AM

Date: April 13, 2010 10:51AM

Sorry if it wasn't clear, PF2, in the text below the options I said that "for argument's sake that, to get either one of them, it would take a 2010 2nd + a 2011 4th that could escalate to a 2nd based upon performance and behavior."

Holmes and his 1200+ yards and SB MVP award went for a 5th. I think a 2nd and a 2011 4th that could escalate might be reasonable (or even overpaying) for Marshall or Jackson.

I admitted that I didn't know what it would take to get Jackson and his DUI history. I wouldn't pay a 1st and 3rd and - to date - nor will any other NFL team. I would pay a 2nd and a 2011 4th that could escalate for him.

Date: April 13, 2010 11:17AM

Date: April 13, 2010 11:36AM

Yep - that would be an intriguing 4th option. And, I think it's the one the Trifecta would most likely pursue. However, if we're able to craft the deal so that the 2011 4th only escalates to a 2nd if they're very productive and very well-behaved, then I think it's a worthwhile deal from my perspective. I would seek to construct it so that the behavior bit extends right up to the 2011 draft, not just through the 2010 season.

In my mind, Dan Williams or Earl Thomas or Brandon Graham (or like #12 defensive talent) + Marshall or Jackson - 2011 4th/3rd/2nd is more valuable than defensive talent @ 12 + potential to develop over the next 2-3 years WR @ 43. Given the learning curve, I put a premium on proven FA WR (say, as opposed to FA RB where a rookie RB can be very successful right off the bat).

I know you wouldn't trade a pair of 2nds for them, but do you think that either could be had for #43 + a 2011 4th that could escalate on performance & behavior?

Date: April 13, 2010 01:03PM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 13, 2010 03:28PM

If we can land Earl Thomas at 12 and then give up 43 and Ted Ginn for Marshal, I would make the trade. Then we have to fork over the cash or deal with a disgruntled player for a year. About 8 mil a year. I would do it with behavior clauses so he doesn't get the money with any off field trouble or detrimental conduct.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 13, 2010 04:14PM

why would the chargers trade vincent jackson? that's nuts

Date: April 14, 2010 04:53AM

Date: April 14, 2010 05:07AM

thanks for the kudos, but it was pure coincidence. I just happened to have been thinking about options yesterday - no special insight. The 2nd + 2011 2nd is actually on the high end of what I thought it would take to get it done.

Now, Brandon, may your play continue to be at an exceptionally high level and may your emotional/off-field baggage be left at the Denver airport.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 14, 2010 10:47AM

Now we just have to hope that Al Davis continues his trend of reaching for players and drafts someone like Bruce Campbell or Jason Pierre-Paul so Clausen can drop to Jax and Bryant can drop to Denver.

I think Davis might go after Clausen though.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 14, 2010 10:51AM

Al Davis takes Tebow TOP 10.

I might die laughing. That's what Im waiting for

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 11:12AM

Tebow a RAIDER that would be HILARIOUS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.