HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Santonio Holmes traded to the Jets
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Santonio Holmes traded to the Jets
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 11, 2010 07:16PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Santonio Holmes traded to the Jets
Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: April 11, 2010 07:29PM

Let's see a Superbowl MVP with some off-the-field issues for a 5th round pick. To answer your question, I think this makes Ted Ginn's trade value somewhere in the 24 round???

On a serious note, I cant F'n believe the Jets got a player of Santonio Holmes' quality for a measly 5th round pick. HMM, you think the Dolphins could have used a veteran like Holmes for the relative chump change that is a 5th round pick? I guess not. Some of you will probably say "Oh, you know this means that we're going to draft Dez Bryant!" To that I say..No. That would make too much sense.

We, of course, in typical Dolphins fashion will pass up opportunities to fill our desperate need at WR only to pass on one that could actually be a difference maker in the draft. It's cool though, I'm sure we'll find some awesome #1 big time vertical threat receiver (not that Holmes is, but he could help our team now) in the 5th and 6th rounds. Hooray for the addition of 2 more 3rd string receivers!

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 11, 2010 07:35PM

Yeah, given that WR take some time to develop, it is a little surprising that no team was willing to give up more than a 5th for Holmes. Even with the drug suspension. I mean, you can take a David Gettis or Riley Cooper or Blair White, and hope and wait for them to develop. Or take a chance on Holmes for a 4th rd pick.

I'm not advocating that we should have jumped on Holmes. We don't need any more offensive weapons who are 1 positive test from a year (or longer, in Ricky's case) suspension. It just seems some other team would have bit.

I really don't like the Jets adding Holmes and Cromartie. And maybe JT.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: April 11, 2010 07:49PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
--------------------------
I really don't like the Jets adding Holmes and Cromartie. And maybe JT.

Yeah, I guess that's really the main point of my rant. I don't like it either.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 12, 2010 02:00AM

low risk with a lot of upside potential.

I think this is spill over, rothlesberger embarrassment followed up with the santonio, was the straw that broke the camel's back with both the fan base and owners in PIT. Jets were the lucky recipient.

I too can't believe the FINS or someone else wouldn't give up more for a proven #1.

Not like we don't have a stable of off field issues poster children on our roster either.

I continue to be under whelmed with the off season decisions and FO demeanor with player acquisition style and results.

Number two in the NFL payroll last year - Talent? Mid range I'd expect

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 12, 2010 04:16AM

Some teams try to win......some teams don't!

That is the moral of the story

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 12, 2010 04:21AM

The fact that the FO has said that the current group of receivers was built for Pennington, not Henne, and they haven't made any changes through FA or trade concerns me. I just don't understand what they're thinking.

Date: April 12, 2010 04:22AM

Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery.......and we line up Bess, Camarillo, Hartline

yeah we got no shot!

Date: April 12, 2010 04:23AM

eh, I'm not that negative about things Mike, but I understand your feeling.

Date: April 12, 2010 04:26AM

not negative, living in reality!!

This front office is OUT OF TOUCH....they don't understand NFL football in the year 2010.They are living in 1979 where you line up, pound the ball, win time of posession and reduce turnovers and hope to grind out victories! THAT DAY IS LONG GONE!

You gotta line up with 3 wides, and throw it down the field. Hope for a big play, a pass interference, or hope someone touches your QB and you get a personal foul call. That is where your big plays come from!! That is why the Saints, Colts, Vikings, Cowboys, Chargers, Philly all go deep in the playoffs. THEY PLAY THAT WAY!!

Not us, we are trying to put the circle peg in the square hole!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: April 12, 2010 04:32AM

Now that's just funny. grinning smiley

Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: April 12, 2010 05:26AM

What is the Jets Salary Cap #?

Isn't Holmes and Edwards very $$$$$$$$

How the heck can they afford these players, while keeping under the cap?

Looks like the Yankees syndrome to me...

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: April 12, 2010 05:43AM

steviec13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the Jets Salary Cap #?
>
> Isn't Holmes and Edwards very $$$$$$$$
>
> How the heck can they afford these players, while
> keeping under the cap?
>
> Looks like the Yankees syndrome to me...

2010 is going to be an uncapped year. The Jets can spend whatever they want with some limitations b/c of where they finished last season.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: April 12, 2010 05:46AM

This is supposed to be the best draft class since Marino's draft year...and the Jests only have a total of 5 picks.

If they want to build their team with rejects that is fine w/ me.

We are doing it the draft route...and our need for pass rushers and a good Ed Reed type of safety keeps going up.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 12, 2010 06:01AM

This just makes it more likely that one of the top WR's will fall to 43. Still a slim chance but better than before. I doubt the Steelers will use their 1st rounder on a WR because they have Mike Wallace ready to step in for Holmes. Although Hines Ward is getting up there in age (34) and they will need a guy for the future. Limas Sweed hasn't done anything yet but they invested a high pick in him (53).

They need O-line help and a CB.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 12, 2010 06:39AM

> What is the Jets Salary Cap #?

What is really really sad is that the FINS had the number two salary cap figure in the league last year.

Date: April 12, 2010 07:42AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 12, 2010 08:00AM

I agree MikeO. The Jets approach is one we should be pursuing, at least in part. Give up a few picks if it means acquiring folks like Holmes or Boldin. Overpay a little bit in an uncapped year to get a guy like Clark (or at least be nicer to him on his visit). Then we could go into the draft and focus on just a few positions or BPA, and not 4-5 glaring holes (WR, NT, FS, OLcool smiley.

The jets have added a lot of top talent at the cost of just a 5th and I think 3d round pick. We horde our 5th round picks like they are going out of style, even though typically they turn into folks like Jon Nablone (recogizing we don't have a 5th this yr in the thigpen trade, but still--it would be nice to get a starter and not a backup in such a trade).

We can all hate the Jets, but I think we also can recognize that they have massively improved their team in 2 years thru an agressive approach, and we have not.

Date: April 12, 2010 08:15AM

Correct me if im wrong but if there is no lock out next year and there is a salary cap dont the jets have to some of these players cuz there gonna be over the cap, and holmes is a free agent after this year and so is edward

Date: April 12, 2010 08:43AM

MiamiDolphins4Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Correct me if im wrong but if there is no lock out
> next year and there is a salary cap dont the jets
> have to some of these players cuz there gonna be
> over the cap, and holmes is a free agent after
> this year and so is edward

Well if/when the cap comes back they will have to decide who they want to keep and who to let go. Probably out of Holmes and Edwards one will stay and one will go. Cromartie isn't going anywhere and most of their young guys like Sanchez and Green are locked into rookie deals and won't seek a big new contract for another 5 or so years.

But the point is in a year WITH NO SALARY CAP, they have given up next to nothing, and added big time PRO BOWL caliber type players to fill in all of their weak areas. They are trying to WIN NOW! Worry about next year, nex year.

Date: April 12, 2010 08:50AM

Date: April 12, 2010 10:08AM

Obviously, I was refering to Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes...these are two players that were rejected by their existing teams. Hence the term rejects.

I'd be really careful about praising the Jets too much.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: April 12, 2010 10:11AM

F YOU Parcells and the entire Dolphins management. It seems that again the DOlphins will be the bridesmaid and NEVER the bride.

Honestly who makes these decisions and why are these decisions made in a way that seems like sabotage to the teams' ability to be a threat and win?

Date: April 12, 2010 10:12AM

Edwards wasn't really rejected, the Browns didn't want to pay him and if the cap was in place he would have been a free agent. So get something for a guy who is gone anyway.

The Steelers were cutting Holmes until the Jets called and gave them a 5th ruond pick. Rooney wanted nothing to do with him anymore cause of his off the field issues.

Neither were cut for their "play", so I wouldn't call them rejects.

Date: April 12, 2010 10:20AM

Well, don't get too pissed. Other teams like the Pats missed the boat on this trade, and the FO of the Pats were apparently blind sided by this trade in that they didn't get a chance at him. This trade feels like it was kind of under the table, out of other teams eyes.

Date: April 12, 2010 10:23AM

There was no trade makret for him. Pitt was cutting him today they decided over the weekend. The Jets caught wind and offered them a 5th, Pitt said fine since he was gone anyway. It wasn't like Pitt was taking offers or looking for the best deal. The owner hates Holmes and wanted him gone by this morning, hence he's gone today. If there was no offer he would have been cut.

Date: April 12, 2010 10:30AM

I will say catching the winning TD in a Super Bowl is cursed like winning the Oscar for best actress.

Halley Berry, Hillary Swank, Kate Winslet and Sandra Bullock win the Oscar for best actress and their divorced soon after.

Plaxico and Holmes catch a Super Bowl winning TD and one is in jail the other is being cut and suspended!

Final moments of a Super Bowl game if your a WR, drop it like its hot cause your life is about to fall to pieces! ha ha ha

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 12, 2010 11:08AM

I agree drop the winning TD. That is a pretty funny scenario, maybe it goes to their head.
I dont think it is good to build your team through trades or FA. Most teams dont let great players ever hit FA let alone be traded. Dansby was a special circumstances becasue he was Franchised twice and Cardinals are notoriously cheap, didnt want to give up the big money a third Franchise tag was going to cost them and Dansby wouldnt sign a deal with them and wanted out. Pitt didnt want Holmes, Cleveland didnt want Braylon. Cromartie sucked last year and has issues SD didnt want him, Sanchez looks like Joey Harrington with Bad knees, then a future Brady or Manning. SD didnt want LT. They have a total of 8 draft picks in last draft and 2010.

Date: April 12, 2010 11:11AM

No it wasn't all about money. Braylon violated Mangini's personal conduct policy for the last time and he just wasn't performing all that great on the field. It was no secret that the Browns wanted to move him out and yet retain some type of value for his very high draft status.

Expect the Jets to go after Brandon Marshall next so that they can have a complete cockpit of reject turds.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 12, 2010 06:20PM

i'll take marshall for a 2d and 2 6ths in a second

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.