HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ginn could be had for a 5th
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ginn could be had for a 5th
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 04:56AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: April 14, 2010 05:22AM

I have been utterly intrigued for most of the last 2 years to see what Ginn could do with a true #1 on the field. Now, in my opinion, is definitely not the time to trade him. I have visions of what he did to Revis, only now Revis and the #2 corner are lined up on Marshall and Hartline.

We can finally capitalize on his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses. He won't have to be more then a KR and downfield threat. Maybe he will develop into more, but maybe he'll be our Alvin Harper with Marshall as our Irvin.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 05:54AM

We just need to surround the hennes ginns, Jake long browns with talent around them and they will take their game to the next level especially ginn.......And we are doing that so far with the upcoming signing of marshall...

Believe it or not i stil havent given up on ginn.....He did not do great or terrible last year....Had some real good games.......then he was erratic on others.....He practically won the jets game by himself with those kick returns.......And that alone makes him a favorite in my book.........

Dont give up on ginn guys because when he takes his game to the next level, he would be something to watch......What is he 23, 24 years old. He is just a kid......I really woundnt want to see him develop in another team........))))) WELKER ))))))

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 06:26AM

I don't want to trade ginn unless we get a #2 for him. not happening....so I don't want to trade him

mark my words, though. this FOs MO will be to dump him to "get back a pick" we lost in the marshall deal--any pick, even a 5th or 6th. my prediction, he is traded in the next week for no better than a 5th. which would be a terrible move for reasons phinsfan and tstamper and samsam stated

let's see what he can do with a real #1 now--he could excell in the complementary role! plus he's still our best returner and only costs 1mm--no reason to do the deal

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 14, 2010 10:12AM

On the block...

Ronnie, Smiley, Ginn and Thigpen.

All are either injury risks or undeveloped at this point so they don't offer much value.

Smiley is obviously the one is gone but what can we get for him?

Hopefully we will see a package deal so we can get a decent/higher pick to offset the 2nd we gave up.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 14, 2010 10:16AM

I am not a Thigpen fan, but we can't trade him. Pennington isn't anywhere near 100% and Pat White isn'ta #2 QB in this league.

We must hold onto Thigpen. Unless you wanna trade him and go sign a Mark Bulger type or something like that to be our #2 QB

Date: April 14, 2010 10:23AM

Obviously Pat White has been told to start thinking about running routes.

I don't think they trade Thigpen until next year or after the draft this year....after we showcase him a bit and let him increase his value.

Maybe then we can replace our 2nd round pick in 2011.

1 Henne
2 Thigpen
3 Pennington

@ 2 Thigpen will see more snaps and be showcased in the preseason. I think they give him some snaps in the PS with Brandon Marshall to make him look like a stud.

.....................................................................................

Date: April 14, 2010 11:28AM

Date: April 14, 2010 12:30PM

I really hope we dont trade ginn unless its for a 3rd which is unlikely, We finally have a #1 receiver and i want to know what ginn can do with one, ginn is a #2!! not number #1!!, with his speed i beleive our offense is better with him than with out but i think he will be traded though

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 14, 2010 12:39PM

MiamiDolphins4Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really hope we dont trade ginn unless its for a
> 3rd which is unlikely, We finally have a #1
> receiver and i want to know what ginn can do with
> one, ginn is a #2!! not number #1!!, with his
> speed i beleive our offense is better with him
> than with out but i think he will be traded though

I'm like 99.999% certain Tony and the Parcello's know what Teddy Bear can do, and more importantly, what he can't do (be physical, smart, and/or a real hardcore footballer). That said, you're 100% correct -- Teddy Bear is more valuable to us as a "factor on the field" than a 5th round pick. I've said 4th for worst case with him, but maybe a "mid to high 4th" is more accurate.

Date: April 14, 2010 01:27PM

MiamiDolphins4Life Wrote:
> I really hope we dont trade ginn unless its for a
> 3rd which is unlikely, We finally have a #1
> receiver and i want to know what ginn can do with
> one, ginn is a #2!! not number #1!!, with his
> speed i beleive our offense is better with him
> than with out but i think he will be traded though

Alex Marvez is reporting Ginn will be traded for almost anything. He won't be back in Miami next season.

Take it for what its worth

Date: April 15, 2010 08:14AM

I hope not. We don't have a deep threat or KR without him. Marshall is a beast and a big play receiver but he has a 12.3 ypc average. You guys talked before about the comparison to Jerry Rice with the only difference being the TD's...7 TD's a year for Marshall....It's because of Rice's ability after the catch. Marshall does not have that in his game. He also has a lot of drops and Rice caught everything.

Not that Ginn is a TD machine but I think he is the perfect compliment to Marshall and our best chance for long balls. There was criticism on Henne last year for not having enough touch on deep patterns so it was not all Ginn's fault.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: April 15, 2010 08:27AM

eesti,
have you ever watched marshall? he has great run after catch ability. reference that sick touchdown against dallas last season. he does have drops on occasion but not often. you dont catch over twenty balls in one game by dropping passes. i agree about ginn having the potential to be a nice complement as a deep threat but i just dont think the staff trusts him on the field at all. he is a liability on the field.

Date: April 15, 2010 08:30AM

This Front Office group didn't bring Ginn in. Ginn has under-performed for this Front Office group. There are few signs of Ginn improving in the near future.

Time to cut ties with Ginn and move on.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 15, 2010 09:09AM

MikeO Wrote:
> This Front Office group didn't bring Ginn in. Ginn
> has under-performed for this Front Office group.
> There are few signs of Ginn improving in the near
> future.
>
> Time to cut ties with Ginn and move on.

RE: What do you mean? There is every reason to think Ginn will improve this season. Marshall takes consistent double coverage off of him and Hartline in the slot will be the chain mover. Everyone on the team WR wise should be better this season simply due to more single coverage. Safties will have to stay back in respect of Marshall size and speed and Ginn's outright speed and ellusiveness.

Date: April 15, 2010 09:35AM

Date: April 15, 2010 09:44AM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
> eesti,
> have you ever watched marshall? he has great run
> after catch ability. reference that sick touchdown
> against dallas last season. he does have drops on
> occasion but not often. you dont catch over
> twenty balls in one game by dropping passes. i
> agree about ginn having the potential to be a nice
> complement as a deep threat but i just dont think
> the staff trusts him on the field at all. he is
> a liability on the field.

Yes I have watched Marshall. You may be going by your perception of him and using one game as an example. I am going by the overall numbers.

Drops...8 in 09, 16 in 08 which was second only to Braylon Edwards, 7 in 07. I am not saying he is terrible but I was making a point toward the difference in TD's and yac between he and Rice.

He caught 67.8% of the balls thrown to him in 09, 58.8% in 08 and 67.9% in 07. He is always in the top 5 for WR's targeted so sure he is going to catch a lot of balls.

Yac...ranked 29th in 09 with 5.0 yac, ranked 67th in 08 with 4.2 yac and was much better in 07 with a 5.3 for 13th ranking.

It remains to be seen if he will be targeted as much in Miami as he led the league in 07 with 177 targets.

Date: April 15, 2010 11:34AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> I think Hartline starts opposite Marshall because
> he's the most complete WR on our roster after
> Marshall, including run blocking.
>
> Bess and Ginn (if he's here) will get plenty of PT
> in schemes/packages designed to maximize their
> abilities.
>
> But on first and 10, they are going to want the
> guys out there that give them the most options
> from a play calling perspective to keep the
> defense guessing.

RE: I think Ginn is the better player to have on the outside opposite Marshall in comparison to Hartline because he is smaller, more elusive and much faster. This gives Ginn quite a bit more space to work in and allows him to better utilize his speed advantage.

Hartline is better as the third option because he's taller, bigger, tougher and has more ability to make catches in traffic. This gives us size, toughness, speed and elite speed on the field in almost any situation...

A varied array of options is desirable for us because it will enable us to do many more things on any given play.

The only way I would entertain trading or releasing Ginn right now would be if a team offered us a first round pick for him...so that we could replace him with D. Thomas (who we should make every effort to draft anyway). I don't see that pick for Ginn happening so the coaches need to create ways to get him into more favorable situations. Marshall is a big step in that direction due to him having to be double covered, leaving Ginn in zone coverage the majority of the time in all likelihood. The running game will also be more effective due to this coverage thereby giving all of the receivers even more room to work when the safeties cheat up. It’s a win, win, situation for our offense which should be enough to put our offense in the top ten league wide.

If they add Thomas we might even be able to near the top five. In that scenario Ginn would be a great asset in a four wide situation (Marshall, Thomas, Hartline and Ginn) and would be our primary kick returner...

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 15, 2010 01:43PM

It be just plain stupid to deal the fastest wr in the NFL. eye popping smiley

Date: April 15, 2010 02:56PM

Mia1 Wrote:
> It be just plain stupid to deal the fastest wr in
> the NFL. eye popping smiley

why almost all the miami fans hate him and he has trouble catching the ball. Why not move him.

Date: April 15, 2010 09:01PM

Screw what the fans want. Most of them are stupid anyway about real (Non fantasy or Madden) football. If they aren't posting on this site then they don't know what they are talking about anyway!

Ginn needs help to reach his potential...if he can't break out this year and eclipse 60 catches (given the chance to start along side Marshall. Then mabye it'll be time to consider moving him. But IMHO not before.

Posted by: kelreign ()
Date: April 16, 2010 02:01AM

This is what I don't understand... Why can't Ginn just be a full-time KR/PR?

Earlier posts in this thread already mentioned that the bulk of his contract is over. Someone already posted that we're only paying him $1.3M this year. Ginn is an excellent KR/PR and I doubt we could get one better. I wouldn't put him on the field as a WR because he can't catch. Honestly, when teams are waiting for 3-4 years for WRs to break out, Its usually b/c the WRs are learning the playbook better, learning how to run better routes, learning how/when to cut routes off when the QB is in trouble... When you're waiting for a WR to 'breakout' its usually not because 'they can't catch!' I seriously liked Ted Ginn in the beginning... I wanted him to do well and I was a fan. The truth is, he's only ever caught well for Troy Smith (high school and college). He's never caught well for an NFL caliber QB.

We all know that when we put Ted Ginn back on KR duties, he returned two kickoffs for over 100 yards in the next game (setting an NFL record that was later matched that same seaosn). As soon as he didn't have to worry about being our #1, he was able to settle down and do what he does best!

My opinion: Make a him a KR/PR. use him as the #4 WR! Don't trade for a 5th round pick. If he contract expires, and he doeesn't want to re-sign for $1.8M or less... let him walk.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 16, 2010 02:25AM

kelreign Wrote:
> This is what I don't understand... Why can't Ginn
> just be a full-time KR/PR?
>
Last I checked Ginn didn't return punts. I think it's something about catching the ball in traffic. I'd like to see him worked as a PR, but if Cobbs is healthy I think he'll be doing it instead.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 16, 2010 04:37AM

Problem with that is that Ginn has an escalator in his contract, I think next year(?), that moves his salary up to 2.4 million. They don't want that on the payroll for the type of player he is. Everything I've looked at has him getting traded for draft picks, possibly to a team like SF.

Date: April 16, 2010 08:08AM

Who will get him in space and he will show us all that he was worth it when used properly.

Keep him and use him correctly. Just because he has had some drops does not mean that he can't catch. I think the coaches asked too much of him too soon, and that hurt his confidence. Once that happened the fans piled on and the combination hurt his development. Now that he finally has some help and stability at quarterback (with a semi-seasoned guy who can get him the ball deep) almost everyone wants to dump him...

No one thought that Ginn would be the kind of player that runs down field and contests every ball thrown (like TO etc) while out leaping defensive backs in double coverage (like Moss)...if they did then they shouldn't have because he's too short. Ginn's a player that needs to be in single coverage, in space and hit in stride so he can use his elusivness before, and his speed, after the catch.

Again, the coaches have get him into favoable situations that he can win...I think bringing in Marshall goes a long way toward getting that done...getting rid of him now before we know how Marshall effets his production would be stupid. Let him play out his contract and then if he still has not put it together then you dump him.

I also don't think he has to have 10+ TD's and 1000+ yards to justify his position on the team...6-7+ TD's and 700+ yards is enough if Marshall is meeting ot exceeding the other marks is good enough.

Marshall: 10+ TD's and 1000+ yards
Brown: 10+ TD's and 900+ yards
Williams: 4-5+ TD's and 600+ yards
Cobbs: 2 TD's and 300 yards
Ginn 6-7+ TD's and 700+ yards
Polite: 4 TD's and 300 yards
Bess: 2 TD's and 400 yards
Camarillo: 2 TD's 400 yards
Fasano: 2 TD's 400+ yards

Thats 42 TD's and around 3200+ yards give or take a few, of passing yardage and around 1700 rushing yards...not bad for a production baseline.

Date: April 16, 2010 08:10AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 08:35AM

for a 5th, the post was spot on

Date: April 16, 2010 09:57AM

And Alex Marvez was spot on the other day saying Ginn will be gone by next week. And there was NO CHANCE of him coming back to Miami.

Good reporting by ALEX MARVEZ! smileys with beer

Date: April 16, 2010 10:02AM

Date: April 16, 2010 10:03AM

Well Smiley is gone. No dobut about that, when the team tells you to stay home and not show up, yoru done.

Ronnie ain't going anywhere

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.