HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ginn could be had for a 5th
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ginn could be had for a 5th
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 09, 2010 02:28PM

I forgot which article I read it in, but yesterday I did read that from around the deadline last year till now, any team that offers a 5th round pick or better for Ginn and they can have him.

Wonder if that stance stands for Miami if any team bites near draft time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ginn could be had for a 5th
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 09, 2010 02:37PM

that would be a bad trade for us. as a KR and #3 WR he is worth more than a 5th to us. I say hang onto him, unless somehow we get a 3d for him and we draft a WR in the 1st or 2d

Date: April 09, 2010 02:46PM

The way this guy has been trashed by his own fanbase and the local media no way you get a 3rd for him.

His play hurt his trade value no doubt, but from the now famous YouTube video (drop it like its hot), to the fans bringing negative signs about him to games....his value ha been shot. You will be lucky to get a 5th for him. No NFL player in recent history has gotten such heat over his poor play that I can think of. Scott Norwood gets treated better in Buffalo than Ginn does in Miami!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2010 02:46PM by MikeO.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 09, 2010 03:09PM

I dont think we would trade Ginn for a 5th. He single handed, won last years JETS game with his Special team plays. In south Florida that means something IMO. Not many players can say they put the team on his back and made sure to chalk up another W for the Phins Jets rivalry record. Ginn is hated by some but loved by many. It is not his fault he was drafted to early by Cam. He was a good second rd reciever that year. And becasue of the dismal performance and failure by Cam, us only winning one game, that and the mispercieved greatness and hype of Brady Quinn. Ginn became the poster child for all that was going wrong with the franchise. Then with the Regime change, he became the abandon redheaded stepchild so to speak. I think he has handled it pretty well. That being said, he doesnt like being hit, or leaving him self wide open to take the big hit. In the right situation Ginn could shine IMO. Last year, the regime took away his punt returns and some kickoffs to try and challange him to be a better reciever, unsuccessfully, similar to what they did to Hester in chicago. At this point Ginn, is cheap enough to keep around for another year, if for nothing else as a special teams player. I am sure the Jets would give us a 5th for him..

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 09, 2010 03:10PM

The sad thing is that much of the ire fans have is not justified. He was put on a very high pedistal and it's not his fault he was drafted where he was. The team has also not done a very good job in getting him into situations where he could be effective, and have not gotten him any help in learning the position. They have also not gotten him much help in making himself better. They have had offers from at least one former player to help him and work with him and still noting has happened. The public stance on him seems to be he'll figure it out on his own...that's ludicrous. Ginn needs some better help around him, tutoring, mentoring and specific help much the same way Randy Moss needed Chris Carter.

Actually I really don't think that Bill Parcells knows his A$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to quality, dominant, big play recievers. His M.O. has almost always been journeymen at the position (with couple of notible exceptions of course) and even those players I'm not so sure were His idea.

Ginn needs to stay, get help, and get better...the team has a big responsibility to give him all that he needs to be sucessful. That done, Ginn himself would be in debted to provide just that.

The trifecta in their first two seasons have failed the kid...and as a result he's failed them and us right now more than he should have. JMO.

Date: April 09, 2010 03:12PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont think we would trade Ginn for a 5th. He
> single handed, won last years JETS game with his
> Special team plays.

He beat the Jets the first game too beating Revis on that long TD in the 4th quarter as well. Not many people beat Revis

Date: April 09, 2010 03:14PM

Ken Wrote:
> The sad thing is that much of the ire fans have is
> not justified. He was put on a very high pedistal
> and it's not his fault he was drafted where he
> was. The team has also not done a very good job in
> getting him into situations where he could be
> effective, and have not gotten him any help in
> learning the position. They have also not gotten
> him much help in making himself better. They have
> had offers from at least one former player to help
> him and work with him and still noting has
> happened. The public stance on him seems to be
> he'll figure it out on his own...that's ludicrous.
> Ginn needs some better help around him, tutoring,
> mentoring and specific help much the same way
> Randy Moss needed Chris Carter.
>
> Actually I really don't think that Bill Parcells
> knows his A$$ from a hole in the ground when it
> comes to quality, dominant, big play recievers.
> His M.O. has almost always been journeymen at the
> position (with couple of notible exceptions of
> course) and even those players I'm not so sure
> were His idea.
>
> Ginn needs to stay, get help, and get better...the
> team has a big responsibility to give him all that
> he needs to be sucessful. That done, Ginn himself
> would be in debted to provide just that.
>
> The trifecta in their first two seasons have
> failed the kid...and as a result he's failed them
> and us right now more than he should have. JMO.

I agree with EVERYTHING you said.

One thing though, I don't blame Ginn for NOT accepting help from Mark Duper. While Duper was a great player, he is a clown off the field...even to this day. Ginn doesn't need that guy around him at all

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 09, 2010 03:39PM

I forgot about that, that was a hot play when he beat Revis with safety help for the TD to retake the lead in the first Jets game

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 09, 2010 03:41PM

"He single handed, won last years JETS game with his Special team plays. In south Florida that means something IMO"

Remember the JT touchdown in that game? How's that working out for him?

Date: April 09, 2010 03:48PM

I will also say this though,even as a Ginn defender. Ted Ginn does nothing to help his image on his Twitter account.

I mean this guy has no clue that anyone and everyone can read that stuff.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 09, 2010 05:49PM

we STILLLLLLLL haven't seen what GINN could do if 1) he learned to CATCH the BALL and 2) He had a true #1 being double-teamed opposite him

Date: April 11, 2010 06:24PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> we STILLLLLLLL haven't seen what GINN could do if
> 1) he learned to CATCH the BALL and 2) He had a
> true #1 being double-teamed opposite him

With this group we have running the team he will never have a true #1 being dobule teamed ever. They put no stock in adding a #1 WR.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 12, 2010 02:10AM

The FO has repeatedly passed up opportunities to get veteran help for either wr mentoring or another wr weapon.

This is the last year of rope I give to the famed trifecta for filling this glaring gap in offensive ineptness in the passing game.

They need to show me something as decisions in this area have been very weak IMHO.

The paradigm parcells has embraced just may be past its time when it comes to the demonstrated stance on sub par passing talent.

Date: April 12, 2010 04:18AM

Phinjim Wrote:
> The FO has repeatedly passed up opportunities to
> get veteran help for either wr mentoring or
> another wr weapon.
>
> This is the last year of rope I give to the famed
> trifecta for filling this glaring gap in offensive
> ineptness in the passing game.
>
> They need to show me something as decisions in
> this area have been very weak IMHO.
>
> The paradigm parcells has embraced just may be
> past its time when it comes to the demonstrated
> stance on sub par passing talent.

HA HA HA....I knew you guys would come along to my side eventually!!

Better win 7 games at least, or else......BRING BILL COWHER TO MIAMI!

Date: April 12, 2010 04:50AM

It is Ted Ginn's BIRTHDAY today.

Let's all wish him a good one! lol spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 12, 2010 10:05AM

Maybe when he blows out his candles, he'll wish for some hands.

Date: April 12, 2010 10:08AM

Odenn Wrote:
> Maybe when he blows out his candles, he'll wish
> for some hands.

ha ha smileys with beer

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 13, 2010 10:44AM

I am not fully buying into this report. I believe the FO has put it out there but it makes no sense to actually do it...

The value he offers as a returner alone is worth more than a 5th.

He is only scheduled to make 1.03 mil this year.

Everyone (fans) hates Ted but he wouldn't be the first WR to take 4 years to break out. His potential is too high at this point to let him walk for a low round pick.

This may be done for a couple reasons...

1. A wake up call for a guy that needs to work harder.
2. To make people think we are going for a WR at 12...to throw off other GM's or force a trade up for another team so we can land Earl Thomas.

He has already been paid the bulk of his contract and 1 mil is a small amount compared to even full time KR'ers.

Personally, I don't understand why they are not putting Ginn on a special conditioning program to add some much needed muscle. This would only help him with being more physical and to increase his confidence. He needs to get up to around 195. If I was 5'11 178..I would probably run out of bounds too! If he added the weight evenly over upper and lower body, it wouldn't effect his speed. It could even make him faster.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 13, 2010 11:26AM

I buy the report. This is the year to unload all BAD contracts.

Ginn was the 9th overall pick. He has a BAD contract.

Date: April 13, 2010 12:06PM

MikeO said: I buy the report. This is the year to unload all BAD contracts.

Ginn was the 9th overall pick. He has a BAD contract.

RE: Maybe so but he's coming up to the end portion of that contract. Perfect time to re-negotiate it based on his recient play.

MikeO also said: One thing though, I don't blame Ginn for NOT accepting help from Mark Duper. While Duper was a great player, he is a clown off the field...even to this day. Ginn doesn't need that guy around him at all.

RE: Ginn should not be given the choice to accept or decline the help...the coaches should make the descision for him and bring someone in to help him...if not Duper then...SOMEONE, ANYONE, that has a similar skill set and that was actually sucessful for multiple seasons in the NFL.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 13, 2010 02:03PM

The bottom line for Ginn is that he is not the kind of player this team wants. The Trifecta wants a big physical football team. You don't have to be big to be physical, and that's why there is room for guys like Davone Bess and Greg Camarillo. But, Ginn is not big nor physical. He cannot make catches when the play is contested. Defenders can easily knock away his arms. He struggles to get off the jam, which is why you don't see him using his blazing speed running away from everyone more often. On any underneath route, he is quick to dive to the ground after the catch rather than being hit. He averaged less than 2 yards after the catch last year, worst on the team. Why? Because he doesn't stay upright. He ducks out of bounds too quickly, both after catches and on kick returns. And he doesn't fit with the long term plan. The team hopes that Brian Hartline can be a starting flanker. They want to draft a big play guy to be the split end. Bess and Camarillo are good fits in the slot. And if Pat White has a future with us, it's in the slot. And that's where Ryan Grice-Mullen fits, too. And if they want a bigger play slot guy, they could draft Andre Roberts, Jeremy Williams, Mardy Gilyard, or Jordan Shipley. Where does Ginn fit in? He doesn't. They like Bess and Camarillo better, because they are tougher. Ginn can go somewhere and shine as a #3 WR. But, he just doesn't fit what this team wants.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 13, 2010 03:25PM

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 13, 2010 04:22PM

Ginn was a WR project, when drafted. everyone knew thi. I hope we aren't dropping him too early and he is the only WR we have that is a deep threat. Would like to get least a 4th. Seattle could use him if they don't sign marshall, San Francisco could also. Cleveland?

Date: April 13, 2010 04:44PM

Ken Wrote:

>
> RE: Ginn should not be given the choice to accept
> or decline the help...the coaches should make the
> descision for him and bring someone in to help
> him...if not Duper then...SOMEONE, ANYONE, that
> has a similar skill set and that was actually
> sucessful for multiple seasons in the NFL.

Sure he can. This ain't T-BALL son!!! Ginn turned him down because Duper is a drug addict, dope selling loser. Would you want to hang around that guy for any period of time and be "taught"??? Im sure Ginn isn't against being helped, but you gotta come up with someone better than Mark Duper!!

Like I said, not knocking Duper the player. But I don't knock Ginn for not wanting to be around that clown. Because he is just that, a clown

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 13, 2010 05:08PM

eesti Wrote:
>> They have had two years to get rid of him but
> didn't and said that they liked him numerous
> times. Sure he had a bad year and regressed but a
> 5th round pick is nothing when weighed with his
> potential. It's like trading Ginn for John
> Nalbone.
>

They gave him 2 years to turn it around and become a better player. It hasn't happened. He got worse in 2009. And there were reports that he was available at the trade deadline for anything above a 5th round pick. If he has such great potential, why hasn't some team offered us a 4th rounder for him? He's a soft player. He was at Ohio St (2 balls thrown to him in the red zone in 3 years) and he has been in the NFL. It isn't going to change. And this team does not want soft players. During his video chat with fans last week, Jeff Ireland mentioned every member of the current receiving group, except Ted Ginn. You can watch it on miamidolphins.com. He said they needed to see more of Patrick Turner. He said they had good, young, core players in Camarillo, Hartline, and Bess. He said they brought in Ryan Grice-Mullen to help in the return game and to add speed to the group. And then he said that they have two players from the practice squad they like (Taurus Johnson and Julius Pruitt). No mention of Ginn whatsoever. He's done in Miami.

Date: April 13, 2010 09:29PM

MikeO Wrote:
> Ken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > RE: Ginn should not be given the choice to
> accept
> > or decline the help...the coaches should make
> the
> > descision for him and bring someone in to help
> > him...if not Duper then...SOMEONE, ANYONE, that
> > has a similar skill set and that was actually
> > sucessful for multiple seasons in the NFL.
>
>
> Sure he can. This ain't T-BALL son!!! Ginn turned
> him down because Duper is a drug addict, dope
> selling loser. Would you want to hang around that
> guy for any period of time and be "taught"??? Im
> sure Ginn isn't against being helped, but you
> gotta come up with someone better than Mark
> Duper!!
>
> Like I said, not knocking Duper the player. But I
> don't knock Ginn for not wanting to be around that
> clown. Because he is just that, a clown

RE: Employers make decisions for employees all of the time about what they are going to do and what they are not going to do. There is simply nothing the employee can do about it, except for getting with the program or quitting. Again, Ginn should not be ALLOWED TO DECLINE any help that the coaches think is worth while to him. The coaches have failed to provide ANY HELP to him...I never said that it HAD to be Duper that helped him because, I'm sure there are other past players somewhere out there that would be willing to help if Parcells simply asked. If Duper is deemed a bad influence no problem because the coaches simply find another person to provide the same help.

The coaches of every team in the league OWE the players all of the development help and support they can reasonably provide. Once that is done then it becomes the players responsibility to repay the team with improved play. EVERYONE has the obligation of going above and beyond because it's in everyone's best interest to do so.

Date: April 14, 2010 02:35AM

dont' give me the "employer" "employee" relationship. When it comes to million dollar athletes it doesn't apply!!!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 14, 2010 02:43AM

Now that we have Marshall, be prepared for Ginn to be traded. He's the only other WR we have that has any trade value.

Date: April 14, 2010 02:43AM

I argue Ginn has no trade value, but we will see.

I can't see a team giving up anything better than a 6th for him. Maybe a 5th but I doubt it

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 02:52AM

i disagree. now we have marshall, ginn will be much more valuable to us as a speedy #3 and returner. way more valuable than a 5th rounder. don't expect the team to take the long view however

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.