HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Thigpen on the block??!?!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Thigpen on the block??!?!
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 31, 2010 08:15PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thigpen on the block??!?!
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 31, 2010 08:31PM

I hope not, but we would get more for him than we would for Pat White. I doubt we'd get much for Thigpen, either.

Rick

Date: March 31, 2010 08:32PM

If we got anything better than a 6th for Thigpen I would be surprised.

Better off keeping him at that point and Im not even a big Thigpen fan

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 01, 2010 01:56AM

Thigpen is young, smart, has promise, has been a productive starter and is exactly what you want in a back-up. They'd be stupid to move him. Better to try Pat White at other positions while he learns from the other guys and is tutored by Pennington. If Pennington can't improve him at quarterback in two years then he needs to make a permanent move to some other spot. We need to get some value for him beyond what he has done so far.

Posted by: moley6969 ()
Date: April 01, 2010 06:47AM

i hope we keep thigpen , at mo he is our #2 qb
we dont really know how penn is at mo with his shoulder ,so i would keep him for now

will pat white make the roster thats my head scratch at the moment

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: April 01, 2010 07:21AM

Someone please explain this obsession with getting rid of Thigpen to me. The guy is a promising young QB who's only real downside as far as I could tell from his performance in KC and in coming off the bench to spell Henne after that eye injury was that he is a young Quarterback who needs to cut down a little on interceptions. He scored like 45 on us last year when we played KC. That season he was able to drive that team down the field for TD's even though they were garbage. 21 TD's and 12 picks with that team (rushing and throwing). They had no O-line and limited offensive weapons. He looks like a sharp young QB and this desire to dump him for a 5th round pick seems ridiculous to me. Hey how about this, how about we keep a backup QB on the team who can actually play for us, move the chains, and get the ball in the endzone. Or maybe we'll be just fine with Pat White.

In my opinion, having a solid backup who you can rely on when your starter goes down is worth more than a 5th round pick.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 01, 2010 08:03AM

I agree 100% pantera. In fact, the only thing I'd add is he has considerable upside, he's not just a Todd Collins type who is as good as he will get. I think his #s his first and only year playing prior to this season compare more than favorably to Henne's--and in the Pitt game he looked very good, except for his bad INTs that I think you can say that being the #3 and getting no reps all year must have had some part to play. If we trade him for less than a 3d I'd say we are being very shortsighted and I'd be pissed. I don't get those who want to cut or trade him for a 5th or 6th. If we get rid of him, we are left with Penny as backup who is not reliable given his injury history, and Pat White who is so far from an NFL qb right now the though of him as #1 is scary. Thigpen on the other hand could start and win games in this league.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 01, 2010 08:21AM

It talks about enhancing his trade value. It says nothing about trading him this year. We are not going to enhance his value until he shows what he can do in preseason at least.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 01, 2010 08:24AM

Panteraize Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone please explain this obsession with getting
> rid of Thigpen to me.

Who's obsessed? No one on this board that I've seen.

Date: April 01, 2010 09:02AM

at least 2 or 3 people have said we should trade thigpen for what we got for him, or cut him if we don't. can't recall who off the top of my head. maybe not "obsession" but certainly people are in favor of getting rid of him for reasons that don't make sense to me

Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 01, 2010 09:42AM

people; myself included, are 'enticed' by his athleticism, good arm, and the fact that when Chan Gailey changed the offence to suit his style that he was quite successful and earned the support of his team-mates.

When a player did not get the training camp reps with the first team and comes in and has moderate success in their first 'regular starter' season....it is not unreasonable to think that he is capable of more if he gets more Training camp attention.

He had a very good TD:INT ratio, and has shown some good playmaking ability by avoiding the rush and making a pass.

Should he be the starter? No. Should he be looked at? Yes!

that said.

Chan Gailey is the new HC in Buffalo and would pay a higher price for Thigpen than any other team in the league. ordinairily I think you wouldn't get more than a 6th for him. And at that price I say keep him.

BUT...if we can get a 4th or 3rd out of Buffalo....do the deal.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 01, 2010 10:04AM

I agree with Realist, if someone blows us away, bye bye Ty, but if not then keep him. No way I give him away for a 6th or even the 5th we gave up for him.

Date: April 01, 2010 10:46AM

If Thigpen was any good KC wouldn't have traded him for nothing. It isn't like KC has Montana and Young ahead of him at QB.

The guy is never gonna be an NFL starter for a good team. He is a career back-up type player. For the right price trade him, but I can't see a team givin gup a 5th or a 6th for him.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 01, 2010 11:37AM

Date: April 01, 2010 12:03PM

yeah but Thigpen ain't those guys! From what I have seen out of him I would be shocked if he turned into one of those players and had a career like that. 2 of those guys took teams to Super Bowls.

Date: April 01, 2010 02:22PM

Date: April 01, 2010 02:38PM

KC dumped him b/c he wasn't "their" guy, as the new regime paid big bucks to Cassel. Thigpen was the only other QB on their roster with trade value so they made the deal. Happens all the time. I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact KC traded him. By your logic, any time a team trades a player he is no good--if that were the case, no one would ever make a trade.

Date: April 01, 2010 02:49PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact KC traded
> him. By your logic, any time a team trades a
> player he is no good--if that were the case, no
> one would ever make a trade.

In this league you ONLY trade for 2 reasons. 1) Money 2) A guy can't play. Thigpen wasn't making any big money, so it must be they thought he can't play.

Like I said it wasnt like he had Montana and Young in front of him

Date: April 01, 2010 03:01PM

Different staff came in with different offense and QB. Todd Haley was running a form of his offense while calling plays even though Gailey was still retained (with less responsibility) and now Charlie Weis is running his....

and those aren't the only two reasons teams trade. You forgot compensation like draft picks. That is huge for a rebuilding team like KC.

...as well as doesn't fit the scheme and locker room cancer or diva.

.....................................................................................

Date: April 01, 2010 03:06PM

MikeO where do you come up with this stuff?

Date: April 01, 2010 03:30PM

Name the GOOD NFL player who gets traded for a reason other than money or he can't play? Name him.....

EVERY trade is because a team thinks a guy can't play anymore. OR because they don't want to pay him his contract.

McNabb is the perfect example. Philly doesn't want to pay him because they got a younger guy making less money who can do the same job at the same quality. They don't want to pay the guy, so they will trade him! Go back in Miami's history, when we had O-Gun. He was good, why did we trade him.....MONEY!!! Fins didn't want to pay him. Why did Braylon Edwards get traded....the Browns didn't want to give him a $9 mill a year extenesion! Why did Boldin get traded, because Zona didn't want to PAY HIM!!!

In this league when you get GOOD players you don't get rid of them. Unless its over money and you don't want to pay them or need to get under the cap!!

So if you aren't trading a guy because of money, it MUST be because you think he can't play. Thigpen falls into that category!! That is why KC moved him

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2010 03:31PM by MikeO.

Date: April 01, 2010 03:54PM

If a player can't play any more, why would a team trade FOR him?

Shaun Rodgers to Cleveland, Matt Hasselbeck (2001 not trade to Cleveland), Randy Moss, Herschel Walker, Adewale Ogunleye, Jason Taylor, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, Wes Welker, PAUL WARFIELD.....seriously the list could go on forever.

Date: April 01, 2010 04:03PM

Date: April 01, 2010 04:10PM

probably another April fool joke....but I read it after seeing Shefters tweet that said to expect a trade today but not the one you expect...ala McNabb

Date: April 01, 2010 04:15PM

OH, I think its an April Fools joke.

Cleveland has Senneca Wallace, Jake Dellhome, and Ratliff who is Mangini's guy from NY.

Why the heck would Cleveland trade for a 4th QB??? They would have to get rid of one at some point.

Yeah, sounds like a joke

Date: April 01, 2010 04:26PM

Brett Farve, Matt Hasselbeck, Eric Dickerson, Cornelius Bennett, and those are just the Pro Bowlers/Hall of Famers I can think of off the top of my head

MikeO explain those under your unified theory of everything?

Date: April 01, 2010 04:26PM

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: April 01, 2010 04:50PM

moley6969 Wrote:
> i hope we keep thigpen , at mo he is our #2 qb
> we dont really know how penn is at mo with his
> shoulder ,so i would keep him for now

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "at mo" mean?

Date: April 01, 2010 05:14PM

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 01, 2010 05:27PM

We can trade him only if we we get a 2 or 3 but would need to sign someone like Jeff Garcia . White isn't the answer and who knows about Pennington.

Thigpen could be as good or better than Henne.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.