HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Gut feeling for the draft?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Gut feeling for the draft?
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:57AM

Curious to what everyones gut feeling is starting to be for this draft, not as much player names (after the 1st 20 or so picks it's a crapshoot), but more just a feel for what you think the tri-fecta will do (even if you dont agree with it). I'll get it started:

If either of the 2 big safetys are there, I think we take him. If not we go OLB and regardless of what we do in the 1st we take another OLB in the 2nd (unless one of the top 4/5 WR's fall to us in the 2nd)

Safety or OLB in the 3rd (see above). If we dont get one of the top 4/5 WRs I see us waiting till later in the draft

I think we'll take a NT and/or TE 4th rnd or later

It would not surprise me if we took a QB and/or RB late if a good one falls, same with more O-line depth.

I think we'll have a good draft and pick up 3 starters on opening day and some solid depth

I also think we'll cut or trade Pat White this year

All of this would obviously change if we're able to trade down in the 1st

No ground breaking revelations here, just my gut feelings. Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gut feeling for the draft?
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 25, 2010 12:08PM

Pat White is impossible to trade!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 25, 2010 12:23PM

I am thinking their number one option is Derrick Morgan if he is still there at 12.

I would also not be surprised of we took Dez Bryant if he is there. They have done nothing in FA for bringing in a WR but said it was important to add a number 1 WR...so to speak.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: March 25, 2010 02:42PM

I Keep thinking sergio kindle, i Hope im wrong

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 25, 2010 02:54PM

I called into the Tim Ryan/Pat Kirwan show on Sirius today. Pat Kirwan, who worked for Parcells in NY, made a really good point. Wherever he has been, Parcells has always wanted that great OLB to lead his 3-4 defense. In NY, he had Lawrence Taylor. In New England, he spent first round picks on Chris Slade and Willie McGinest. With the Jets, he took James Farrior in the first round. And in Dallas, in year 3, he took Demarcus Ware in round 1.

Here we are in year 3 in Miami, and we have not addressed the need for a great OLB. This is the year, Sergio Kindle. I asked them about Derrick Morgan, and they both felt that Kindle was a better fit for our defense.

Kirwan mentioned Al Woods and Torrell Troup as potential later round NT. He also said to not forget Texas' Lamarr Houston. He's a little light, but said he could fit depending on how Nolan wants to use the NT. He and Ryan both added that although they are worried about Terrence Cody, if he is sitting there in round 3, he might be very hard to pass up.

I asked them about WR, and Kirwan said he expects us to get a tall WR sometime after the first round. I asked them about Blair White, and they felt he's the same player as Brian Hartline.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 25, 2010 03:58PM

Agreed.

Pat White will have no value for us or any other team in the league until 1 thing happens.

He takes a snap (shotgun, under center, Wildcat...) and reads the field and completes a pass.

Once he does that...teams will have to defend him as a QB, which them makes him a dangerous running threat.

Until he does that they treat him as a runner with the pitch option...and he gets very little.

We invested a 2nd rounder in him. We need to try and establish some value. he can return a few kicks....but mostly they need to let him play QB in the pre-season...get him to develop some timing with the WR's and then use him as they hoped to...a passing Wildcat threat.

Date: March 25, 2010 04:09PM

The interesting thing is that Thigpen is a running threat. He led all QB in rushing in 2008. He may not be as explosive as Pat White, but he has better size and he has NFL starting experience. I would be shocked if Pat White was able to beat out Tyler Thigpen for the #2 QB. If it happened, it would be great for our depth. But, I just don't see it happening. And that means Pat White needs to move to WR. I'm sure they will give him all the OTAs to beat out Thigpen. But, if he can't, I think they make the switch to WR during camp.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 04:28PM

Thigpen is a good QB. If he were a higher draft pick, people would think he was a future starter. I think he can be a very good player and hope we don't get rid of him over pennington

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 05:07PM

Would like to take the best available WR and a rush DE OLB with the first 2 picks. I think Morgan will be gone.

Thigpen is very much like Tony Romo. He should be our #2 , could start for many teams.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 25, 2010 05:13PM

I think on draft day we will see Thigpen traded to the Bills.

The Bills head Coach...Chan Gailey...was the OC in Kansas that helped Thigpen do well once the offense was changed.

They are going to try and acquire a starting QB. Thigpen is NOT their primary guy.

They were interested in McNabb. They have not moved on Culpepper who has said he wants to play for them.

I see them drftaing a QB in the first round and then giving us a 4th or 5th for Thigpen as a Gap guy with starting experience. he is better than Fitzpatrick and has more experience the Brohm...and he has a positive history with the HC.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 05:25PM

gut's been saying SPILLER TIME all along.

Date: March 25, 2010 06:21PM

I don't see us trading Thigpen. Pennington's contract calls for him to get a $200k bonus for every game where he takes one snap. I'd say there are no plans to have him play. And there's no way Pat White would ever be a true #2 QB, a guy who could step in and run the base offense for any length of time. Thigpen's our backup.

Date: March 27, 2010 11:32AM

Im not a guy who's affraid of trading inside the division, but we can't trade Thigpen. And I don't even think Thigpen has any trade value honestly.

Pat White sucks, he isn't a QB. And if Pennington isn't 100% then Thigpen has value to us as a back-up and #2 QB. More than any 6th or 7th round pick we would get in return for him.

Date: March 27, 2010 11:48AM

I think the fact that Penny is only planning on staying another year, and White sucks, there is no way we should trade Thigpen. He's young and good enough to be a solid back-up for many years to come.

Posted by: camaron ()
Date: March 27, 2010 04:06PM

I think we should trade Thigpen for a 4th rounder or early 5th. If not hold on to him. That would give us four 4th rounders or a pick in the 5th that we currently do not have. Draft a QB in the 6th or 7th, or maybe address it through Rookie Free Agency. Pat White is a bust.

As far as the draft goes, I hope Derrick Morgan drops but if not I believe Earl Thomas is a great pick up 12 and fills a void. Morgan is a stud but drafting him still leaves us with major holes at FS, DT, and WR.

The question is what do they address with the 2nd round pick, WR or DT.

Date: March 27, 2010 04:19PM

IMO, Thigpen is going to be a starter for someone someday. We got him for a 5th. He can win some games for us if Henne goes down so we might as well hold on to him and let him increase his value. We could end up getting a 2nd round pick for him as soon as next year.

He didn't come in until late last year but with some time in camp and preseason, he will be much more ready to play if we need him.

.....................................................................................

Date: March 31, 2010 02:34AM

After further review and alot of going back and forth, my gut is telling me 2 things right now. The 1st, don't eat chili 2 days in a row, and the 2nd..........I have no eefing clue what we're doing in about 3 weeks, these guys are good at trying to hide their intentions. Just about any scenario wouldn't surprise me right now.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: March 31, 2010 02:55AM

dolfanmark
> He may not be as explosive as Pat White, but he has better size and he has NFL starting experience.

I gotta ask ... What makes anyone think Pat White is explosive (in the NFL)? With a more than decent OL, he looked anything nit scary or explosive to me with ample opportunity to demonstrate it if he had it.

I will agree with Realist, that if he can complete some passes his running game will benefit. I didn't see a lot of what looked like they were trying to pass with him in there. That, doesn't make a lot of sense to me, for a team that runs the wilcat, and picked a guy like white at number 2.

- My read is that he ISN"T what they expected him to be. Meaning he couldn't get it done in practice (the passing part of the game, thus we didn't see it in prime time.

I could see tyler thigpen being traded, but I's rather see us keep him and trade pat white (for whatever we can get). I agree that we should showcase him in pre-season and give him a passing opportunity play-set.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: March 31, 2010 05:00AM

If there isn't a market for Mike Vick(according to espn), then there can't be a market for Pat White. I think we're stuck with White until his contract runs out.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 31, 2010 06:49AM

Odenn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If there isn't a market for Mike Vick(according to
> espn), then there can't be a market for Pat White.
> I think we're stuck with White until his contract
> runs out.

White's not a convict who executed innocent animals. There isn't a market for Vick because he's a PR nightmare, not because teams don't think they can use his talent.

Date: March 31, 2010 07:09AM

We are stuck with White because he was a first class BOMB last year. He did nothing. For a 2nd round pick to do nothing, why would anyone take that problem off our hands?

Pat White is worthless in the NFL. Until he proves otherwise that wont change and he has no market!

Date: March 31, 2010 07:49AM

MikeO Wrote:
> We are stuck with White because he was a first
> class BOMB last year. He did nothing. For a 2nd
> round pick to do nothing, why would anyone take
> that problem off our hands?
>
> Pat White is worthless in the NFL. Until he proves
> otherwise that wont change and he has no market!

That's correct, but it has nothing to do with Michael Vick.

Date: March 31, 2010 07:56AM

It is not unusual for a rookie QB to do nothing. Sometimes they are picked in the first and do nothing. There were high expectations for him b/c everyone thought he was brought in to run the wildcat...but he didn't run the wildcat.

He did not look good but maybe expectations were too high. He is not a bust yet. Too early to judge. Lets see what he does in preseason.

Date: March 31, 2010 08:36AM

Jim Miller just stated on NFL radio, that Pat White was a better pure passer coming out last year then Tebow this year. I don't see it, but maybe eesti's right, maybe we just expected too much of him in the wildcat and he could develop in a few years as a decent QB, who knows?

Date: March 31, 2010 09:19AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Jim Miller just stated on NFL radio, that Pat
> White was a better pure passer coming out last
> year then Tebow this year. I don't see it, but
> maybe eesti's right, maybe we just expected too
> much of him in the wildcat and he could develop in
> a few years as a decent QB, who knows?

I believe it, but PW lacks the size of Tebow. Also, he wasn't used as a passer last year. PW can certainly throw the ball with accuracy, but can he read defenses? can he check off? There's a lot more than just throwing. Tebow, in the other hand, is horrible at throwing.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: April 04, 2010 03:18PM

I hope the trifecta have the middle of our defense as the priority. NT and ILB followed by OLB and WR and Safety. What ever talent is there I think should be taken in basically that order.

I still believe Mr. Ginn will be a part of a trade before the draft is all done.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 04, 2010 03:29PM

I highly doubt, after all the talk from the FO about him, that Ginn is going anywhere. He's liked too much, for whatever reason.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.