HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ross makes formal request
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ross makes formal request
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 22, 2010 03:11PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ross makes formal request
Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 22, 2010 04:19PM

I agree with the coaches. We lose our home field advantage by making the visiting team comfortable. Screw the visiting team.

Yes I know this is a money-driven thing. But it'd be nice if our owner actually put *winning* at a higher priority.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 22, 2010 04:27PM

Yep! I agree JC!! It should be about winning first!!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 22, 2010 05:12PM

it's about making money and running a business.

If you want more "KARLOS DANSBY" type free agents in the future to be signed, he needs seats sold, he needs more $$$ coming in. If that means the 4pm games are more profitable, I got no problem with it. From a business standpoint it makes sense

A GOOD team will win at 1pm or 4pm.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 22, 2010 05:15PM

I hate it when owners meddle. He needs to sit back and let Parcells run things. Keep his nose OUT OF IT!

Date: March 22, 2010 05:18PM

He paid $1.2 billion for the team and the stadium. If he wants the games at 4pm, let him have the games at 4pm!

it's a small request in the grand scheme of things. Not like this guy is roaming the sidelines like Jerry Jones during games. Or hiring his drinking buddies as the GM like Daniel Synder. Or moving the team to Baltimore like Art Modell!!

The man spent over a billion, he just wants his home games at 4pm. That's not asking much!!

Posted by: Bitchin Dave ()
Date: March 22, 2010 05:24PM

In the 70s and 80s, Miami's homefield advatange was the heat and humidity, and a game at 1pm did often lead to a Miami victory. Through about 1990, Miami was the winningest team at home in August and September, and their ratio was something like 95%.

However, year round conditioning for other teams coupled with the evolution of cool zone fans, those spider thingees that pump air into the shoulder pads to cool the core temperature, and even some shady tarps that the visitors extend, have all but evaporated that advantage.

You can't exactly look at Miami's record over the last 15 or so years, because the teams haven't been great. But, I would argue that if you watch the players performance, you usually do not see a player wearing down from either side simply because of the heat.

And therefore I'd argue that while the coaches think they have an advantage, it really is all in the mind. So, in my estimation a 4pm start is not a bad thing.

Date: March 22, 2010 05:24PM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He paid $1.2 billion for the team and the stadium.
> If he wants the games at 4pm, let him have the
> games at 4pm!
>
> it's a small request in the grand scheme of
> things. Not like this guy is roaming the sidelines
> like Jerry Jones during games. Or hiring his
> drinking buddies as the GM like Daniel Synder. Or
> moving the team to Baltimore like Art Modell!!
>
> The man spent over a billion, he just wants his
> home games at 4pm. That's not asking much!!

Why doesn't he have the players paint is house and wash his car too? Heck, he paid over a billion dollars for the team!

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 22, 2010 05:44PM

thats it?.....thought he was picking our DRAFT PICK.

Date: March 22, 2010 05:46PM

montequi Wrote:
> MikeO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He paid $1.2 billion for the team and the
> stadium.
> > If he wants the games at 4pm, let him have the
> > games at 4pm!
> >
> > it's a small request in the grand scheme of
> > things. Not like this guy is roaming the
> sidelines
> > like Jerry Jones during games. Or hiring his
> > drinking buddies as the GM like Daniel Synder.
> Or
> > moving the team to Baltimore like Art Modell!!
> >
> > The man spent over a billion, he just wants his
> > home games at 4pm. That's not asking much!!
>
> Why doesn't he have the players paint is house and
> wash his car too? Heck, he paid over a billion
> dollars for the team!

He can't.....their UNION! winking smiley

Date: March 23, 2010 04:57PM

Schedule could be out within a week. Probably two though. The opening games and Holiday games could be out as early as tomorrow though.

We will know officially then.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: March 31, 2010 12:45PM

There was small segment on ESPN's PTI today which talked about this. Both of the commentators said that this is highly, highly unlikely to be okay'd by the NFL.

Date: March 31, 2010 02:19PM

NFL came out today and said they can't grant every wish by every NFL team. But they try to do their best.

I think Miami just hosting a Super Bowl. Ross in on this KangarooTV thing last week at the owners meetings, the NFL tries to throw Ross a bone here. We get a couple games moved to 4pm, but not all.

Which is fine and Im sure would make Ross happy.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 31, 2010 08:55PM

I think this is a great idea. 1 p.m. games in the early part of the year aren't really a major advantage - it's hot everywhere then. It may even be cooler here, we have the ocean breezes - something they don't have in KC or Cincinnati. Later in the year, its much warmer here than in most places, so it is an advantage then. This just what Ross asked for, so I think we still have whatever home field advantage that there is, given the advances in sideline equipment, as Dave said.

Rick

Date: April 01, 2010 02:24AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> I think this is a great idea. 1 p.m. games in the
> early part of the year aren't really a major
> advantage - it's hot everywhere then. It may even
> be cooler here, we have the ocean breezes -
> something they don't have in KC or Cincinnati.
> Later in the year, its much warmer here than in
> most places, so it is an advantage then. This just
> what Ross asked for, so I think we still have
> whatever home field advantage that there is, given
> the advances in sideline equipment, as Dave said.

I don't know. The hottest thing in Miami is the sun. It's not the same heat you get there as you get in, say, Orlando (where there's no sea breeze). At 1PM the sun is pretty much directly overhead. By 4 it's not as strong. It's just not as hot at 4 as it is at 1.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 01, 2010 02:36AM

My only game in Miami was last years Monday nighter against the Colts, and I was sweating my balls off at 9 pm, couldn't imagine what it's like at 1 pm. Whatever fills the stands and adds that 12th man, i'm all for. Used to love the Orange Bowl atmosphere and would like to see that again.

Date: April 01, 2010 10:39AM

Dave's points about sideline and cooling technology are well taken, but I'm here to tell ya, there ain't no Sea Breeze on the field of Joe Robbie Stadium, especially at 1:00 PM.

Sea breezes happen in the late afternoon, and they happen near the sea.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 01, 2010 01:16PM

There are 2 schools of thought on this matter:

1) By moving the games to 4pm, Miami is losing a extreme home field advantage over in the extreme heat, and visiting teams unfamiliarity with the temps. Every commentator I've heard talk about it agrees that this is a negative for the players and team.

2) In an era where many teams are having there games blacked out because of a severe lack of attendance(add Tampa to the growing list), and the economic environment we currently are in, many owners are doing whatever they can just to sell tickets. If you think an owner won't do anything in his power to put asses in the seats, you're kidding yourself. One thing I agree with mike0 100 percent, is that it's always and forever about the money. Whatever Ross thinks he can do to ensure a sellout, he'll do. This includes moving the games to 4pm.

I'm totally in favor of this move, if for selfish reasons. Living north of Tampa like I do, if the Bucs are either away @ 1pm or playing an AFC team, I get screwed and can't get the game on TV. I'm usually stuck listening to it on WQAM or the FM carrier. So as far as I'm concerned, move the games! smileys with beer

Date: April 01, 2010 06:43PM

I don't know, Victor. Try walking around Disney World at 4 p.m. on a late August afternoon.

Rick

Date: April 02, 2010 02:56AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> I don't know, Victor. Try walking around Disney
> World at 4 p.m. on a late August afternoon.

I work at Disney. This is my point. 4PM in Orlando is hotter than 4PM in Miami. 1PM in Miami, in the sun, is hotter then 1PM in Orlando.

Date: April 02, 2010 03:38PM

I bow to your superior experience.

Rick

Date: April 02, 2010 03:47PM

Oddly, I don't remember the Orange Bowl as being particularly hot. Of course, it had one end open. Also, I'm a lot older now - surely that doesn't have anything to do with it..

Rick

Date: April 02, 2010 04:36PM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> Oddly, I don't remember the Orange Bowl as being
> particularly hot. Of course, it had one end open.
> Also, I'm a lot older now - surely that doesn't
> have anything to do with it..

It was hot, and remember the seats? LOL. But you're right; the one side was open, and I think it was the side pointing to the east. What's more, the OB was closer to the water than JRS. This all made it somewhat more tolerable in the hotter temperatures. For the Fans, that is. On the field, during the astro-turf years? It must have been hotter than hell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 06:27AM by JC.

Date: April 02, 2010 07:48PM

Good thing I don't have to go there now..I'm somewhat wider than I was then.

Rick

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: April 03, 2010 12:08PM

You meant "wiser" right?smiling smiley

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: April 04, 2010 08:09PM

Look, reality is this game is a business... business says fans dont like sweltering in the heat to support a medocre product. No fans paying to come to games means less money to pay quality players. Less money = Less wins.

If you have a good team it doesn't matter what time of the day they play, they will win.

Date: April 05, 2010 07:16AM

grooves12 Wrote:
>
>
> If you have a good team it doesn't matter what
> time of the day they play, they will win.

You said it!

That's why the OB (which was even a P.O.S. back in the early 70s) would pack in 80K fans to set on those hot benches in the sweltering midday sun.

Not only is the game more of a business nowadays, but the targeted audiences are businesses. Corporate sales is where the money is. All the talk about creating a 'family' atmosphere is nice, but corporations but the suites, the club seats, and in the stands, tickets in large groups. That's where the real money is from a sales standpoint.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.