HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I find it very strange...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I find it very strange...
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 19, 2010 02:02PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I find it very strange...
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 19, 2010 02:06PM

I would agree and not have a problem taking another ILB if there was a surefire playmaking stud available there---but from all accounts, McClain is not that. I have been trying to find video of him making even one impact play and can't find one---when every other prospect has at least a 3 minute videos worth.
Now I know youtube is not a complete picture of a player, because typcially it shows only the great plays (see Ted Ginn), but come on, if he's so great, let's see some evidence!!

Date: March 19, 2010 02:11PM

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: March 19, 2010 02:12PM

Youtube highlights may not make you a Rolando McClain believer but seeing him play in person certainly will.

Date: March 19, 2010 02:13PM

Yes it will. You are exactly right, Hokie.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 19, 2010 02:22PM

yeah people say he's great but I'm still waiting to see footage of ONE good play--if he's so great, it should exist. Everything I see on him shows him running into the line getting blocked on a blitz, making an arm tackle 5 yds downfield, or getting to the ballcarrier second to help wrap up. There are scouting reports on other players raving, and their highlight reel backs it up.

Plus, he made a ton of plays with a dominant (on college level anyway) NT eating up space--what will he do with a lesser NT in front of him. And his 40 speed was just average.

Like I said, if he's so great, let's take him---but wtf, show me a good play ocassionally!

Date: March 19, 2010 02:27PM

He had the fastest 40 time of any LB over 240 pounds.Doesnt sound average to me.

---------------------

Date: March 19, 2010 02:30PM

he ran a 4.75, hardly record setting. where did you hear that was a record?

Date: March 19, 2010 02:32PM

I didn't say it was a record my friend, I only said it was the fastest time for a LB that weighed more than 240 pounds.

---------------------

Date: March 19, 2010 02:34PM

were you saying just this year? or all time? if it's just this year, so what? not that impressive.

Look AO, I'm open to proof he's a great player and we should take him--I've just not seen any with my own eyes.

Date: March 19, 2010 02:41PM

Who else is of value at #12 beside Earl Thomas? Then my worries go to having 3 very young guys in the d-backfield, while it would prove amazing for the future, it would probably spell a very tough season next year.

I just think teaming McClain (the perfectionist) with Dansby (the playmaker) is a recipe that will not fail.

---------------------

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 19, 2010 02:46PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yeah people say he's great but I'm still waiting
> to see footage of ONE good play--if he's so great,
> it should exist. Everything I see on him shows him
> running into the line getting blocked on a blitz,
> making an arm tackle 5 yds downfield, or getting
> to the ballcarrier second to help wrap up. There
> are scouting reports on other players raving, and
> their highlight reel backs it up.
>
> Plus, he made a ton of plays with a dominant (on
> college level anyway) NT eating up space--what
> will he do with a lesser NT in front of him. And
> his 40 speed was just average.
>
> Like I said, if he's so great, let's take
> him---but wtf, show me a good play ocassionally!

Exactly. He's a system player in college. No different than the Spurrier/Myer offensive players in college who are prodcuts of their system and can't make the jump or translate to the next level...for the most part.

He the best MLB in a bad bunch this year. He only looks good in playing a zone coverage anything other than that and he struggles. Look, Im not saying the guy will be a bust. On the right team he might be a star in years. I just don't want to see Miami roll the dice on him. Especially after just signing Dansby.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 19, 2010 05:00PM

I would take MCCLAIN over many over the possible players available #12

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 19, 2010 05:43PM

I'm still concerned that McLain has Crohn's disease. That kind of thing doesn't just go away and usually gets worse until it kills you.

Posted by: dolphinballin ()
Date: March 19, 2010 05:46PM

you know everybody says he ran a 4.7 something but every report i see its 4.68 or 4.69 anybody else see that or what. i agree a&o we need mcclain. crowder sucks ive said that all along he maybe special teamer at most.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 19, 2010 05:49PM

Date: March 19, 2010 05:50PM

montequi Wrote:
> I'm still concerned that McLain has Crohn's
> disease. That kind of thing doesn't just go away
> and usually gets worse until it kills you.

David Gerrard has it too.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 06:19PM by eesti.

Posted by: dolphinman 2010 ()
Date: March 19, 2010 06:11PM

good debate guys Ijust don't think that PTI see's a value pick at 12 unless Jason P Paul projects as an OLB. I think they would prefer to trade down and get better value at 15 or lower. I think McClain gets snatched up by Denver who desperately needs an ILB. I think Thomas and Bryant will be there at 15-20, They can still fill a need and get an extra pick in the process.

Excuses are tools of the incompetent...those who specialize in them rarely specialize in anythine else

Date: March 19, 2010 06:22PM

I think Bryant still goes high....McClain drops a bit and both Thomas' goes earlier than expected.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 19, 2010 06:42PM

We need a #1 WR and pash rusher

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 19, 2010 07:31PM

The crohns thing has me scared too, it's no joke and can affect people different ways, other than that i'm all for it.

Date: March 19, 2010 07:52PM

I was thinking the same thing as A&O..if mclain is available, I think we SHOULD take him

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 20, 2010 04:29AM

If you wanna reach a little why not OLB SEAN WEATHERSPOONthumbs up, he's my favorite coverage WOLB.

Date: March 20, 2010 07:57AM

McClain is the smartest pick bar none.

No DT is worth the #12 pick unless named Suh or McCoy. Every OLB is a very high risk at #12. Earl Thomas is a playmaker but that would give us 3 very young guy which is good for the future but probably not good for next season.

McClain is the smartest "football smarts" guy in the entire draft.

---------------------

Posted by: dolphinman 2010 ()
Date: March 20, 2010 09:28AM

wouldn't have a problem with McClain....just don't think he will be there at 12

Excuses are tools of the incompetent...those who specialize in them rarely specialize in anythine else

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: March 20, 2010 10:08AM

Denver's going to take McClain before we have the chance. Aside from that point I'd rather have a good cover safety over a LB. The fact is that you can't ignore our other needs to get another LB. We're stronger for getting Dansby, and that acquisition makes LB a lesser need than some other positions. It's not that we don't need another LB, its just that we need other positions more.

Date: March 20, 2010 10:38AM

With Denver releasing Davis, there gettin Mclain!, It should leave dez bryant available for us but watch out for the jaguars, with them releasing torry holt and having no receivers, They could snatch him up so watch out for that

Date: March 20, 2010 11:34AM

I agree as well that McClain will probably not be there at #12, I will feel real bad if he falls to us and we pass on him. It would be a huge mistake.

---------------------

Date: March 20, 2010 01:09PM

I'm not worried about the secondary being too young. Davis and Smith have a full year under their belt and should make huge strides this year. They also have Bell, Culver and Will Allen as vets to help them.

Sam Madison had 8 picks in his second year at CB and our CB's have more natural ability than he did at the time.

As everyone has been saying....this is a passing league and you can't win unless you can pick up chunk yards on offense and slow down the passing games of other teams.

We have a very tough road schedule this year. Minnesota, Green Bay, Baltimore and Cincy...not including our division games. All will be great passing teams this year. We lost games last year because of our secondary and more specifically, a bad free safety.

The only way to get a great FS is to take one at 12. Spend the pick on one of luxury (ILcool smiley and we go into next year with a below average veteran FS or a less talented and slower/weaker rookie. We will get toasted AGAIN.

Morgan Burnett and Nate Allen may be fine FS's but aren't as assured of starting from day one. They have 4.55 speed and aren't even as strong as Earl Thomas. Chad Jones and Reshad Jones are strong safeties.

Mayock says Thomas is the most instinctual DB he has seen in 10 years...you can't teach instincts. Remember what Ed Reed did to us last year? He had 5 picks as a rookie.

ET can play CB and FS. He can also cover the slot receiver. We lost our nickle CB to Denver.

Bell is not good in coverage and will probably blitz more this year playing closer to the line if he even stays in for the dime.

We had a measly 15 picks last year for 16th place in the league. 3 were by the front 7 and 2 left for Denver.

Will Allen, Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Bell and Thomas would make for a nice nickel package. Add Culver for the dime.

McClain will most likely be taken out of the game in the nickle anyway, making him a 2 down LB'er.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 20, 2010 02:02PM

eesti Wrote:
> We have a very tough road schedule this year.
> Minnesota, Green Bay, Baltimore and Cincy...not
> including our division games. All will be great
> passing teams this year.

Actually, I'm really wondering whether Minnesota will be a great passing team this year. Has Favre committed to another season?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.