HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Workout Sleepers
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Workout Sleepers
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 13, 2010 09:24AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Workout Sleepers
Date: March 13, 2010 10:06AM

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: March 13, 2010 10:33AM

Guys, we are way to tied up with stats and all that stuff in the combine and other tests. It takes heart to play this sport. Sometimes that can be taught and sometimes it can't.

That is why I will trust the FO in drafting the right people. That is why I am all about the OL and DL. They play because of heart and that is what makes a team great.

Why do I know this? Because my life has been built around it. My father's life was built around it, and his father's life was built around it.

My Dad had a dislocated hip as a child. Grew up never having it set properly. He played baseball, football, Was a golden gloves boxer, and was an infantryman in WWI.

Guys, football is the only sport that is a true TEAM sport. Heart is more important than any statistic you can ever bring up.

You all Love Welker. Was he drafted? Does he have heart?

That is why I loved Shula and the Trifecta. They get it.

Question is, will you guys eventually get it your lives?

I see guys spend way to much time looking up stats. Fantasy FB is a cause for that. Competition is something we live for.

Figure out a way to put that energy into you carrier an you just might not have the time for all of this.

There is nothing better than watching a young person succeed because of hard work and giving it their all. I question whether some of you are willing to do that.

Here I am at work on Saturday. Taking time to write here. I will spend another 4 to 5 hours getting ready (putting myself in a position to win)
for next week.
Know what, my family respect me for that more than knowing about any sport.

Get a clue guys. This country is not about entitlements, it's about doing what it takes to be successful.

There are some very intelligent people here. Stop thinking about what this country can do for you. End that thought and do it yourself!!

Know what? Mandich did that. And I love him for it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 11:09AM by Leon In Denver.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 13, 2010 12:06PM

Always respected your opinion Leon, but not sure how jlyell13 breaking down random sleepers warranted that speech? I could see some of the arguments recently between guys but not this post

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 13, 2010 12:12PM

ahhh but stats show history and history is a great predictor of the future.

Tony Sparano is well known for being a stat guy.

It is not the sole answer to determine an outcome but it is a tool when you don't have to resources to gauge a players heart.

No one here has those resources so we use the tools we have. I am not going to pretend to be able to gauge any mans heart that I have never even met.

Many college players with heart fail to make it to the NFL. Many high school players with heart fail to make it to college. There are many factors at play.

You are at work on a Saturday. Good for you. There are many Americans who have worked very hard on their careers, for many years, for many long hours and many weekends, who are out of work right now and can't do a damn thing about it.

I don't know who you are even referring to or why you are questioning peoples personal lives and work ethics.

Get a clue???? Entitlements??? Will we ever get "IT"????

I gotta say...this is a little out in left field here...

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 12:14PM by eesti.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 13, 2010 04:14PM

stats dont lie

Date: March 13, 2010 05:48PM

Leon, half our your post seems to be more for some political or motivational speaker (James Ray in the wigwam?) blog site??

Stats do lie (Ryan Leaf, David Klingler, Davide Carr had nice stats) but they are generally some form of a predictor of performance. but can't be the only thing used. There is a wasteland of players that looked good in college (even heisman trophy winners) with brief to no pro careers. Thats what makes it challenge deterime will a guy Taylor Mays who looks like a tremendous prospect, but whose stats are not that impressive, will be successful or a bust in the NFL, and will Demaryious Thomas & Dez bryant be ther next fitgerald/Marshall/Boldin?
The Pats saw something in Welker the Chargers and Dolphins didn't. Evaluators that are good at spotting talent where the stats aren't there excel. Did anyone hear of Antonio Gates before he was draftred? Jerry Rice?

Reality is teams that do a good job at talent evaluation and get guys like Tom Brady in the 6th, Brandon Marshall in the 4th, Colston in the 7th are more successful. Teams that draft a QB & WR with 2 of their top 4 picks and don't get a single reception or completion, or pass twice on a guy like Drew Brees aren't .

Finding diamonds in the rough, and keeping them, is the key to a successful organization and the book is still out on this regime.
When was the last time we went to or won the championship? Why couldn't we get Dan Marino a running game?

The Boston Celtics spent over 20 years of bad drafts(and bad luck) before realizing they needed to go after vets, and then won it all after 22 years of fan suffering.

Fans are customers and like any product we have the right to refuse to buy into inferior product.

With that being said, hopefully we will get it right this year as it is a key draft, and the guy that could have been our QB twice, just won it all.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 13, 2010 05:50PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Pats saw something in Welker the Chargers and
> Dolphins didn't.

Eh, not exactly. The Chargers definitely didn't see it, but we did. That's why the Pats had to inject the poison pill in their offer to yank him away from us. We didn't want to let him go, but Welker was never going to be a #1 receiver, so we didn't see the point of paying him like one.

Date: March 13, 2010 06:14PM

Hard to understand this argument.

We don't have a #1, he is top 5 in the league in the eyes of some,but couldn't be our #1, so wasn't worth keeping and paying him like a #1?

That would seem to support we underestimated his value, or they said we suck anyway and won't be close for years, we screwed up not signing him to a longer contract, and wasn't worth spending money on as a #1, when we can just draft guys like Ted Ginn & Patrick Turner to revive our franchise.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 14, 2010 01:23AM

He is only good because Randy Moss attracts all the double teams and allows Welker to go underneath for this dink and dunk passes.

Who do we have to attract the double team away from if Welker was still here?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 14, 2010 05:55AM

Which does support all our argumets that we have to get a #1 WR in the draft since we didn't go after Boldin or marshall.

Bryant, Tate, Thomas, maybe Gilyard, Benn or La Fell or sleepers like Carlton Mitchell, Shay Hodge. Andre Roberts could be like Tate or an Eddie Royal in the 3rd-4th. Tony saw him at the Sr Bowl.

My Son was looking at old drafts and I think he mentioned we took John Beck ahead of Sidney Rice.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: March 14, 2010 05:59AM

Weilker on the Phins last year, along with the addition of Hartline would of made a very good receiving unit last year. Welker for what ever you guys think of him is a damn good receiver, and he is not afraid unlike Ted Ginn to go over the middle and take a hit. I would trade them straight up at this point if we could.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 14, 2010 07:15AM

Finshady Wrote:
> Weilker on the Phins last year, along with the
> addition of Hartline would of made a very good
> receiving unit last year. Welker for what ever
> you guys think of him is a damn good receiver, and
> he is not afraid unlike Ted Ginn to go over the
> middle and take a hit. I would trade them
> straight up at this point if we could.

Well I disagree about Welker not affraid. The guy always falls to the ground to avoid being hit. Not that it isn't smart, but he avoids contact at all costs like no other "great" WR I have ever seen

Date: March 14, 2010 07:23AM

This is ridiculous, Welker is a perfect fit for the Pats offense and the way they use him, HE IS NOT A #1 RECIEVER. (in case anyone didnt know, that little dot next to reciever stands for PERIOD) You could put a dozen guys in that offense and they would produce similar numbers, hell for that matter put Bess or Camarillo in there and see what they do. We got 2 picks for they guy and no matter if we wasted them or not (can't remember who we got) it was a steal on our part.

Date: March 14, 2010 07:30AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> This is ridiculous, Welker is a perfect fit for
> the Pats offense and the way they use him, HE IS
> NOT A #1 RECIEVER. (in case anyone didnt know,
> that little dot next to reciever stands for
> PERIOD) You could put a dozen guys in that offense
> and they would produce similar numbers, hell for
> that matter put Bess or Camarillo in there and see
> what they do. We got 2 picks for they guy and no
> matter if we wasted them or not (can't remember
> who we got) it was a steal on our part.

WELL its not a steal if you BLOW the draft picks. Then its just a dumb trade eye rolling smiley

I know ONE of the picks was Samson Satelle who isn't even on our team anymore.

Date: March 14, 2010 09:01AM

Well if I sold a junk car for 10,000 bux then went out and blew the money on nonsense, I still made out on the sale....now Mike, I agree that we didn't spend that 10 grand wisely but thats besides the point, we still made out on the trade.

Date: March 14, 2010 09:07AM

Date: March 15, 2010 07:19AM

eesti,
"You are at work on a Saturday. Good for you. There are many Americans who have worked very hard on their careers, for many years, for many long hours and many weekends, who are out of work right now and can't do a damn thing about it."

That wasn't the point. The point was why we spend so much time looking up football stats when that time could be spent being more productive.
Guess it's just my way.

Anyway all the talk of draft choices and stats will not get us anything but discussion. We don't make the decisions.

Date: March 15, 2010 07:40AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:

>
> That wasn't the point. The point was why we spend
> so much time looking up football stats when that
> time could be spent being more productive.
> Guess it's just my way.
>

It's a hobby. It's a way to unwind for 10 or 15 min a day for a few times a day. It's a way to escape reality for a few times a day and just clear your head with something "fun" and talk football. If you stress yourself out over work and careers 24 hours a day you will be dead at the age of 40! In these times we live in if you don't mix in a little play time, you will drive yourself to an early grave.

Date: March 15, 2010 08:24AM

Mike I know it's a hobby, I know it relieves stress. I just hate the offseason. Boring as hell. I'm looking forward to the draft and baseball.
Want to know how to do something productive that is not stressful? Learn how to invest in real estate the right way. And no, I am not a guru and please don't buy something from a TV add.

Date: March 15, 2010 08:26AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Mike I know it's a hobby, I know it relieves
> stress. I just hate the offseason. Boring as hell.
> I'm looking forward to the draft and baseball.
> Want to know how to do something productive that
> is not stressful? Learn how to invest in real
> estate the right way. And no, I am not a guru and
> please don't buy something from a TV add.

That's cool bro! It's all good smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.