HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Clark speaks
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Clark speaks
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 10, 2010 02:11AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clark speaks
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 10, 2010 02:24AM

While it seems year after year we've let free agents get away, and the story is almost always the same (offer too low), I have to put faith in the fact that we're not breaking the bank to sign every free agent that we like. Franchises that do that aren't building for the future. Franchises that do that usually are not successful in the long run.

Date: March 10, 2010 02:38AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While it seems year after year we've let free
> agents get away, and the story is almost always
> the same (offer too low), I have to put faith in
> the fact that we're not breaking the bank to sign
> every free agent that we like. Franchises that do
> that aren't building for the future. Franchises
> that do that usually are not successful in the
> long run.

Yes and No. In the OLD NFL you can't break the bank for every player and sign everybody. In the NEW NFL with no salary cap, its only money and ya got nothing to lose

Date: March 10, 2010 03:44AM

MikeO Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > While it seems year after year we've let free
> > agents get away, and the story is almost always
> > the same (offer too low), I have to put faith
> in
> > the fact that we're not breaking the bank to
> sign
> > every free agent that we like. Franchises that
> do
> > that aren't building for the future.
> Franchises
> > that do that usually are not successful in the
> > long run.
>
>
> Yes and No. In the OLD NFL you can't break the
> bank for every player and sign everybody. In the
> NEW NFL with no salary cap, its only money and ya
> got nothing to lose

You have next year when the salary cap comes back. If we were expecting to win a Superbowl this coming season, then we'd have justification to spend whatever we wanted. That's what the Jets are doing. It's NOT a good strategy long-term.

Date: March 10, 2010 04:18AM

montequi Wrote:
> MikeO Wrote:
> -----
> > montequi Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > While it seems year after year we've let free
> > > agents get away, and the story is almost
> always
> > > the same (offer too low), I have to put faith
> > in
> > > the fact that we're not breaking the bank to
> > sign
> > > every free agent that we like. Franchises
> that
> > do
> > > that aren't building for the future.
> > Franchises
> > > that do that usually are not successful in
> the
> > > long run.
> >
> >
> > Yes and No. In the OLD NFL you can't break the
> > bank for every player and sign everybody. In
> the
> > NEW NFL with no salary cap, its only money and
> ya
> > got nothing to lose
>
>
> You have next year when the salary cap comes back.
> If we were expecting to win a Superbowl this
> coming season, then we'd have justification to
> spend whatever we wanted. That's what the Jets
> are doing. It's NOT a good strategy long-term.

next year will be lock-out. And even if they agree on a salary cap prior to the start of the season (whether they start the season on time or not) there will be a 1 year window and it (the salary cap) will be grandfathered in slowley.

Date: March 10, 2010 04:24AM

Mark my words, teams that spend a ton of $$ now where it doesn't translate to, at least, a conference championship will sink like a stone in the years to follow. I prefer to build a strong long-term winner. That's what we had with Shula.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: March 10, 2010 04:34AM

I agree with monteque on the unbridled spend due to cap ... but in this case (clark and our need fopr safety experience) I think we made a mistake. Why:

1. I dont think you can bring in a safety fron teh draft and get what we need. We need a good safety and a secondary QB.

- Maybe will allen can be that QB, but it didin't translate to that Msean smith can step up, but the hole was huge last year

2. I don't think we can draft our way out of it, and a lot of teams have more potent offenses than we do. Within the division we have a tough schedule and our wrs don't scare anybody.

Date: March 10, 2010 05:20AM

spending a few extra bucks to bring in a guy like Clark wouldn't have made us the NY YANKESS of the NFL!!

It was a mistake by the Fins front office I believe

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: March 10, 2010 07:25AM

the jets are not doing that. they are actually cutting their pay roll a bit. but anyway i dont mind not signing clark because he is old and he is only an average cover guy. why break the bank on someone your not completely sold on? i think parcells and co. would have liked him at the right price. and i think the draft can provide a S. and what about sean smith moving to FS like Antrel Rolle did? any possibility of that? and have davis and allen as the corners.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 10, 2010 07:32AM

Sean Smith didn't show me the ability to deliver a good hit. While we need a safety that can cover, he also needs to be feared for his hitting ability. I don't think Sean Smith is that guy.

Rick

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: March 10, 2010 07:39AM

wilson used to be known for his "hitting" ability and rolle was not a big hitter. at this point i would settle for a guy back there that has range, makes play on the ball, and can play centerfield even if he isnt a good hitter. its not ideal but there is a huge hole at FS and getting a guy that can hit and cover is highly unlikely this offseason unless miami drafts a S in the first

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 10, 2010 08:41AM

I am glad they didn't overspend like they did with Wilson. Rolle is highly over rated and Clark is good but not worth a long term investment.

If you look at the big hits he puts on people there is usually two players laying on the ground afterward and he is one of them. He might deliver a big hit but he also takes one. He won't last long playing like that. He already has too many health issues as it is and will be 31 in the fall.

Could be just sound financial decisions or a smokescreen or maybe a little of both.

Tyrone Culver has just as good coverage skills as Clark and better than Rolle.

Kerry Rhodes is better than both of them. AZ made out great by acquiring him and letting Rolle leave.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: ifShulaWasPrez ()
Date: March 11, 2010 09:37AM

let the old man go ! seeya . we need to keep getting younger . young and dumb ( as in i know nothing else but ripping off your head ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 09:46AM by ifShulaWasPrez.

Date: March 11, 2010 12:12PM

Posted by: ifShulaWasPrez ()
Date: March 11, 2010 12:36PM

he might of just been using us to get pitts atention .

Date: March 12, 2010 11:29AM

Maybe ... but Miami needs to understand what is in a potential player's head, and that sure didn't happen.

If we are close to what they are already offering him at home and we don't know that ... something is wrong with the communications.

Sounds like we low balled and had no clue that he had options just as good without the hassle of moving or making the changes.

Date: March 12, 2010 02:17PM

They assigned him a value and refused to overspend. good job IMO. Clark is not that great.

.....................................................................................

Date: March 12, 2010 02:19PM

eesti Wrote:
> They assigned him a value and refused to
> overspend. good job IMO. Clark is not that great.

But who is to say their value is correct. It isn't like this group of Ireland/Parcells have hit a ton of home runs in free agency the past couple years. They have been dead wrong on a lot of guys

Date: March 12, 2010 03:51PM

which is another reason not to overspend unless you are darn sure he will fit.

Date: March 12, 2010 03:56PM

this franchise has overpaid for bums though. And given crappy ofers to guys who could have contributed. I have no faith in them anymore. And it wasn't like Clark was asking for "Dansby money". He didn't want to be the highest paid saftey in football.

Miami dropped the ball

Date: March 12, 2010 04:18PM

I don't care about not getting Clark but I too wonder about some of the personnel decisions...

Jason Taylor??? Matt Roth??? Gibril Wilson??? Andre Goodman??? Pat White??? Ignoring the WR position??? Chris Crocker??? Joey Thomas??? Eric Green??? reaching for Turner???

They have made some good moves as well....The trade for Fasano and Ayodele doesn't look so good now but...

Randy Starks, Nate Garner, Cameron Wake, Justin Smiley, Jake Long, Chad Henne, Chad Pennington, Jason Taylor, Joe Berger, Polite, Sean Smith, Vontae Davis, Hartline, Ferguson, Langford, Merling, Grove etc.

They have made more good decisions than bad ones but then there are the things that make ya go hmmmmm???

Date: March 12, 2010 05:04PM

It's funny how you show Taylor as a bad AND good personnel decision. I think JT was a win/win. He just wasn't motivated 2 years ago. Letting him go and getting a draft pick, then getting him motivated and back...all was a genius move!

Date: March 12, 2010 06:15PM

montequi Wrote:
> It's funny how you show Taylor as a bad AND good
> personnel decision. I think JT was a win/win. He
> just wasn't motivated 2 years ago. Letting him go
> and getting a draft pick, then getting him
> motivated and back...all was a genius move!

Yeah I meant more for not signing him this year and keeping Porter on the weak side which is where JT should have been.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 06:16PM by eesti.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.