HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Still hope for Ginn
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Still hope for Ginn
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 27, 2010 12:22AM

The following players had their 1st 1000 yard season in....

year 4, Reggie Wayne
year 6, Antonio Bryant
year 7, Chris Carter
year 4, Marvin Harrison
year 6, TJ Housh (978 in yr 4)
year 4, Vincent Jackson

I still have hope but most of these players had star receivers on the other side of the field.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Still hope for Ginn
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 27, 2010 04:18AM

I tend to agree with you eesti that there is still a small chance he's the guy (the 3 yr breakout thing is just a trend not a rule) BUT the thing I noticed about Ginn is he's very scared of contact and i'm not sure that goes away with time. I know guys like M. Harrison would avoid contact but I think that fear is what's holding Ginn back

Posted by: clovis phinatic ()
Date: February 27, 2010 04:34AM

Ginn plays football like my 7 year old niece, SCARED!!!!! Until he grows testicals he will suck!!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 27, 2010 05:20AM

The real hope for Ginn (and us as fans) is that we get a *TRUE* #1 wr and Ginn might blossom as a #2. That's what he was at Ohio St with Santonio Holmes...

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: February 27, 2010 05:22AM

clovis phinatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ginn plays football like my 7 year old niece,
> SCARED!!!!! Until he grows testicals he will
> suck!!

So its ok to say Ginn sucks. But not ok to say Chambers sucks!?!

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 27, 2010 05:29AM

I've read this stuff about Ginn being afraid of contact on a few threads here. It's this fan's opinion that this problem is 110 percent on our coaches. Completely.

Now, why do I say that? When I was a kid playing high school ball, we had this guy that could fly down the field, but he was completely afraid of getting his head knocked off if he went up in the air whilst going over the middle. He'd run the route wrong just to not get hit. So, our coaches developed drills were he had no choice but to get his bell rung. Over the coarse of the season I remember watching this kid go from someone who didn't like contact to someone who would step up and lay a lick during Florida and Nebraska drills. If a bunch of high school coaches can do this with someone, no reason why a group of professionals can't do it with a pro athlete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 05:29AM by Odenn.

Date: February 27, 2010 05:33AM

Odenn Wrote:
> I've read this stuff about Ginn being afraid of
> contact on a few threads here. It's this fan's
> opinion that this problem is 110 percent on our
> coaches. Completely.
>
> Now, why do I say that? When I was a kid playing
> high school ball, we had this guy that could fly
> down the field, but he was completely afraid of
> getting his head knocked off if he went up in the
> air whilst going over the middle. He'd run the
> route wrong just to not get hit. So, our coaches
> developed drills were he had no choice but to get
> his bell rung. Over the coarse of the season I
> remember watching this kid go from someone who
> didn't like contact to someone who would step up
> and lay a lick during Florida and Nebraska drills.
> If a bunch of high school coaches can do this with
> someone, no reason why a group of professionals
> can't do it with a pro athlete.

Your assuming that Ginn is affraid of contact though. This is only a theory that is talked about on internet message boards and radio shows. No caoches or teammates of his seem to share this opinion and they would seem to know more than the fans.

I have said it before, this guy has yet to play with a #1 WR and with a QB with a real arm. I think he will turn into a good NFL player. I don't buy into this he's affraid of contact theory.Put him next to a Boldin or Calvin Johnson, give him a full year with Henne and I bet he shuts all of his critics up!

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 27, 2010 05:40AM

Fans tend to take an example and extrapolate it into a trend. I saw a few plays that Ginn didn't go up or didn't cross in as hard as he should have. Some fans see this as proof he doesn't like getting knocked around. Is this the way he plays? I honestly don't know, I don't see him at practices enough to give an informed opinion. I would however say that I've watched top tier receivers like T.O. do the same thing so I don't think it's some kind of deal killer like other folks tend to believe.

As for getting another receiver well, I agree somewhat. The problem people have is that Ginn was drafted with the intention that he was the #1. That he was that other receiver. Well, he's not. The boy just doesn't have the hands. Will he develop? I'd say that given how he runs, don't dare trade this guy. He'll wind up on another team during the years that most players top out on their production chart and we'd again end up watching a traded player play better for another team. I don't think I'm alone though, cuz the coaches talk ginn up a lot.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 27, 2010 11:01AM

I am not sold that contact fear is as big a problem as everyone says it is..or his hands.

Yes, he had a terrible year but I also remember several times in the first and second year where he showed great hands and made some tough catches.

I think the kid needs to get in the weight room and gain about 12 pounds to get to around 190. He could use some muscle mass and upper body strength. This would only help him with confidence and fighting for the ball. It should not have any effect on his speed.

On a side note, Boldin is being applauded for his mentoring of Early Doucet and his development. He could do the same for Ginn. (if the price is right)

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 27, 2010 11:05AM

I don't think Ginn is as scared as he has one of those classical blocks about catching the ball. I don't think its about not getting hit. More often than not I see him drop the ball when he starts running before fully securing the ball. After awhile, you begin questioning whether you can catch the ball.

Ginn knows his chief asset is his speed. The natural tendency for him is to get to "STEP TWO" (running away from the defender) before he completes step one (catching the ball).

I never even had a hint of thinking he was playing scared.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 27, 2010 11:20AM

Ginn's lack of toughness makes me seriously doubt he will ever be anything more than an occasional deep threat. There were several games last year where it was embarassing how quickly he would run kickoffs out of bounds. And he really struggles to catch any passes when the defender is there to contest it. He does not or cannot use his body to shield the defender. He also doesn't get off the jam well. Watch his OSU clips on youtube. Defenders in college always gave him a huge cushion, and he doesn't get that in the NFL. And in college, he was often running free. That doesn't happen in the NFL. And even at OSU, he was rarely used as a red zone weapon. He's just not a physical player. Mark Clayton was small, 5'9, 175. But he was very tough and very physical. Ginn just doesn't appear to have that in him. If we could add two legitimate starting receivers, two guys that defenses have to account for, maybe Ginn could blossom as a guy who could catch 40 balls for 600 or 700 yards and 5-6 TD.

Date: February 27, 2010 11:27AM

Mark Clayton played his ENTIRE Dolphins caareer with Dan Marino.

if you gave Ginn a QB on Marino's level, then things would be different

He ran otu of bounds on kickoffs....GOOD!! you want him to try and run through a brick wall only to then get stripped or fumble. Then you would bash him for not just stepping out of bounds becaus he wasn't getting any extra yards anyway. Some people can never be pleased! Seriously

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 27, 2010 11:41AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Mark Clayton played his ENTIRE Dolphins caareer
> with Dan Marino.
>
> if you gave Ginn a QB on Marino's level, then
> things would be different
>
> He ran otu of bounds on kickoffs....GOOD!! you
> want him to try and run through a brick wall only
> to then get stripped or fumble. Then you would
> bash him for not just stepping out of bounds
> becaus he wasn't getting any extra yards anyway.
> Some people can never be pleased! Seriously

You're not really trying to compare Ted Ginn to Mark Clayton are you? Clayton was one of the toughest players we ever had. If he caught the ball inside the 10, he was scoring. It didn't matter how many guys he had to run through or drag with him. Ted Ginn dives to the ground before he can get hit. He's one of the softest players we have ever had.

Date: February 27, 2010 11:44AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.