HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ronnie Brown wants to STAY!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie Brown wants to STAY!
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: February 10, 2010 04:52PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ronnie Brown wants to STAY!
Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 10, 2010 05:11PM

Jesus Mike, I know this is the nature of the business, but you talk about our beloved stars like they're pieces of meat that you throw on the floor after taking a couple bites

Posted by: kelreign ()
Date: February 10, 2010 09:57PM

I like Ronnie..., but he scares me. He's great. I think I could make an argurment that he's in the top 6 RBs in the league... but does the name Bob Sanders come to mind?... I just don't know how a team is supposed to pay someone for a long term deal when that player gets hurt for entire seasons! (well 1/2 seasons....)

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 11, 2010 03:18AM

yeah MIKE O that was cold. And NOT COOL. He gives his ALLLLL and gets hurt as a result. I respect that.

I respect the fact that he TAKES IT TOO THE LIMIT!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 11, 2010 04:02AM

Think about it, when Ronnie is healthy..we win games. When he is hurt, we lose games.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 11, 2010 05:58AM

Date: February 11, 2010 11:12AM

well we have him for 2 years. So this isn't even an issue. Use him up for 2 years. If he's still INJURY PRONE we let him walk.

If he turns into a dependable player who seems to still have legs, we then think about keepking him

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: February 11, 2010 12:09PM

1. How abut a more respectful arrangement that adjusts salary based on playing time?

Works for a lot of guys and protects both interests.

2. Bottom line. You must have depth at RB. We tanked more than we would have when losing Ronnie because we lost the wildcat with it. Effectively the RB and the QB of the wildcat went down with theinjury.

Solution: IMHO we have depth with Ronnie, but were one dimensional without effective Wrs to l;oosen up the running game.

- Fix the WR problem and you fix the RB problem too.

Date: February 11, 2010 12:14PM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 11, 2010 12:17PM

Draft Jahvid Best. NOW!!!!!!!!!

Date: February 11, 2010 12:22PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MikeO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > well we have him for 2 years. So this isn't
> even
> > an issue. Use him up for 2 years. If he's still
> > INJURY PRONE we let him walk.
> >
> > If he turns into a dependable player who seems
> to
> > still have legs, we then think about keepking
> him
>
> I'd trade him.

who wants him? And you will never get equal value. Plus trading a guy who went #2 overall with a decent sized contract is tough.

Date: February 11, 2010 12:35PM

Date: February 11, 2010 01:10PM

nobody is giving up a 2, let alone a 2 and a 4. Not when you look at what Shonn Green did and he was drafted in the 3rd round. And where Ray Rice went a couple years back. Teams aren't giving up draft picks for often injured RB's with big salary demands.

No way. No how. Like I said, we have him for 2 more years. Run his ass into the ground and get all you can out of him. Then let him walk. Win-Win for the Fins.

Date: February 11, 2010 01:56PM

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: February 11, 2010 01:58PM

Ronnie's contract is good only through 2010 and that is assuming that the CBA dosen't fly. If it does he is a free agent. Read the artical.

Ronnie will be with the Phins and the Phins will draft a running back that can produce in the later rounds. Guys, the thing that makes the running game work is the OL. Look at Denver and the fine running game they have had under Shannahan. Every back he drafted produced. When they left they were history.

Ronnie is one of the special backs and will stay with the Phins for all the reasons above. Our running game is there. We need a #1 WR and line depth as far as offense goes.

And MikeO, back off a little. For Chist sake.

Date: February 11, 2010 04:07PM

back off what??? What I have said??

I gave an opinion on a player. An opinion the front office is sharing. The owners are backing out of the CBA in a week or so. Ronnie is STUCK in Miami for 2 more years. Miami has NO REASON to give him an extension. They will use him for 2 years. Then he is able to walk as a free agent.

ohhhhhh, I gotta back off from REALITY and that harsh assesment of of the Dolphins RB situation!!! ohhhhhh,aaaaaa.

And to think a team will part with a 2nd round pick for an often injured running back who when he plays is good (not great) is absolute insane!! It's downright silly actuallly.

Date: February 11, 2010 04:25PM

The "back off a little" comment has nothing to do with the logic behind your assessment of Ronnie Brown and his future with the Dolphins, just the manner in which you choose to share it.

Everything you said may be true, it's just kind of a turn off to talk about a player who plays his heart out for our organization in terms such as

"We will run his ass into the ground. Then let him walk after 2012 when his career will be all but over"

"Like I said, we have him for 2 more years. Run his ass into the ground and get all you can out of him. Then let him walk."

You talk about the guy in such crude terms. Again, everything you say about the contract situation and the reality of his usefulness and longevity with the Phins may be spot on, but give the guy some respect I think he deserves it.

Date: February 11, 2010 04:42PM

oh my god... some of you people are WAY TOO SENSITIVE about people you don't even know!! Seriously!!

He's a public figure. He's a pro athlete. I didn't say anything out of bounds here. I have seen people on THIS VERY MESSAGE board wish injury to opponents and current Fins players.....but saynig we will run Ronnie Brown into the ground and get every bit of usefullness out of him is crossing the line.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....uh, ok!!

Date: February 11, 2010 04:57PM

I didn't say you're a horrible person or what you said was an outrage, just that it was kind of a crude way to talk about the guy

Date: February 11, 2010 06:27PM

Posted by: FinsFan1969 ()
Date: February 11, 2010 11:54PM

Gents,

Good afternoon from Kandahar. New to the group. Just wanted to speak my piece on Ronnie. In order for him to continually be successful, we have to get the O-line situated first. We must get some horses to help Jake Long on the other side especially. Internet is slow over here so can't pull my stats. I believe we were in the bottom half in average rushing per game this year. He showed what he could do at AUBURN with a good O-line. Looking forward already to next year.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 12, 2010 07:55AM

The Dolphins had the 4th ranked rushing offense last year.

Our O-line played pretty darn good last year. Even when Grove and Smiley went down, we didn't experience much drop off with Berger and Garner.

I'd say we are pretty much set on the o-line but we could always stand to add some depth with a swing player.

The one thing that would help our running game is a WR that kept teams from stacking the line.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: February 12, 2010 08:36AM

MikeO, while not delicate is essentially advancing a point that I discovered when I have been advocating drafting Jahvid Best with OUR FIRST PICK!

That point is that the people on this board seem to be delusional about the state of our running game at present.

You guys are viewing Ronnie Brown and his value as the running back that you have seen on the view. You probably view Ricky as the person he was this year and the years past.

Ronnie is INJURED and Ricky is OLD. The running game we had this year is an illusion and WILL NOT BE REPEATED NEXT YEAR.

WE HAVE NO LUXURY AT THAT POSITION!

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: February 12, 2010 09:53AM

No one knows how Ronnie, Ricky, or Cobbs will be. That is why we will add a running back, just not it the early rounds. That would surly suprise me. We need to much help a ILB and WR.

Date: February 12, 2010 10:24AM

Delusion would be ignoring our porous defense and obvious needs at several positions. You talk about the age and health of our RB's but what about the age and health of Jason Ferguson? He will be 36 next year and said he would retire unless he gets more money. He is not even under contract. starting Paul Soliai is going to make for a very long season.

What about the glaring holes at all 4 LB positions? Porter is gone one way or the other. The chances of finding a starting OLB that can pass rush, play the run and cover at pick 43 or beyond are very slim. Beyond Porter, the only OLB's under contract are Charlie Anderson, Eric Walden and Cameron Wake. None have proven they can play full time and be successful in a phases.

Our MLB's would be backups on most teams and our FS is a liability.

Our Offensive line is no illusion. They are a good unit. Ricky's ability is not going to disappear overnight. Ronnie is a top 5 back when healthy. The combination of the two is a great insurance policy that we will have top notch talent if one goes down. Add Patrick Cobbs, Lex Hilliard and Polite and we can be successful again in 2010. There is no real basis for saying that it won't be repeated. We have depth there. We don't on defense.

Sure we have to plan for the future but reaching for a player in the first round at a position of mediocre need is not very realistic. I'm sure that Ireland is going to take the BPA...whoever that may be but he is not going to go after a position of lesser need just to get the BPA. For instance he is not going to draft a QB or LT or CB at 12.

Best has not even worked out at the combine yet and you are awarding him a top 12 grade? Sure it would be great if he turned out to be the next Chris Johnson but that does not happen very often. You are hyping about him like he has the college background of Ricky Williams and he doesn't even grade out to a Darren McFadden.

Falling in love with one player and giving up too much in the process is risky business. For every Ladanian Tomlinson there is a Curtis Enis, Lawrence Maroney, William Green and Chris Perry.

We need new starters at NT, LOLB, ROLB, ILB and FS and WR.

No one is saying that we won't have a need for a RB in the near future...only that the needs on defense and at WR are greater and more immediate. We can get by with taking a shot at a 4th round RB and/or waiting until next year.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2010 11:14AM by eesti.

Date: February 12, 2010 11:28AM

we don't have a luxery at RB but we also don't hve a pressing need there either.

It can wait a year

Date: February 12, 2010 12:52PM

Whether it is Best or not is a matter of opinion. Draft a running back ahead of him at the number 12 spot and I'll say, "Good move (at least by the intentions)."

But the point is it must be Running Back.

Running Backs are NOT A DIME A DOZEN like almost every other position on the field EXCEPT QUARTERBACK is.

When you need a running back, YOU DRAFT THE BEST ONE AVAILABLE.

When you need a BACK UP, you draft one in the later rounds.

Two other points.

If you think that our OFFENSIVE LINE (which it was not too many OFF-SEASONS AGO that we were CRYING AND WIMPERING THAT WE DESPERATELY NEEDED TO UPGRADE) will produce the same yardage for ANY RUN-OF-THE-MILL RUNNING BACK then DELUSIONAL is the proper term.

It was a combination of Ricky, Ronnie, and the WildCat that got that yardage. Not our GREAT offensive line.

Secondly, you have IT BACKWARDS, you draft your linebackers, etc. in the later rounds.

The SMART move is to get that great running back first (and if you want to argue that is not Best then okay) and THEN in the 2nd and succeeding rounds fill your LB needs.

There have been SO MANY HERALDED COLLEGE LINEBACKERS WHO BUSTED but NOT THAT MANY great running backs out of college that fell on their face.

Moreover, there have really not been that many even GOOD college running backs that have fell on their face in the pros.

Date: February 12, 2010 01:04PM

Lots of GREAT college RB's fell on their face

Ki-Jana Carter
Blair Thomas
William Green
Cadillac Williams
Curtis Enis
Archie Griffin
Rashaan Salaam

Want me to keep going....

Date: February 12, 2010 01:35PM

Date: February 12, 2010 03:10PM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lots of GREAT college RB's fell on their face
>
> Ki-Jana Carter
> Blair Thomas
> William Green
> Cadillac Williams
> Curtis Enis
> Archie Griffin
> Rashaan Salaam
>
> Want me to keep going....

RESPONSE: More often than not, my friend, more often than not. Didn't say it never happened just said more often than not the performance of running backs in college more closely mirrors their performance as pros than does the performance of linebackers.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.