HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          CBA and the Dolphins...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
CBA and the Dolphins...
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 31, 2010 10:46AM

I don't see much incentive for the owners to sign a new CBA this year. Without it teams can get rid of high salary, underachieving players with no accelerated penalties for releasing them. They can basically purge bad contracts. They also benefit by holding on to players they want for an extra year.

Ronnie Brown will be an UFA if they sign a new deal. The problem is that his contract states that he will receive a 5 million bonus if no CBA is reached. Does the FO keep RB at that price with his history of injuries? He is a top 5 back when healthy and instrumental to the Wildcat but the problem is he is always on IR.

Other players that could be cut or traded due to low production and the chance to wipe the salaries off the books....(Miami has the 2nd highest payroll in the entire league.)......

Ted Ginn Jr.
Gibril Wilson
Yeremiah Bell
Joey Porter
Jason Allen
Will Allen
Reggie Torbor
Channing Crowder

The other problem is that if we cut any of these players, we will be hard pressed to find anyone better. The FA market will be very slim without a CBA...probably 1/4 of what it would be with a CBA.

Teams may be swapping players to fill in the gaps this year.

I think Porter and Torbor are history but I'm not sure about the rest.

Coaches like Ginn and Jason Allen. Allen played ok and is great on ST and his salary is not that overwhelming.

Will they cut a team leader and fan favorite in Bell? He is good against the run but gets killed by TE's. Wilson is equally as bad in coverage but is almost the same player as Bell as a SS...plus he is younger.

Personally, I think we need an upgrade at both positions. We can't afford to keep giving up those big plays. Especially when we have such a young CB tandem. I like Bell but his big plays were down last year and he is old.

Do we keep Will Allen at over 5 mil a season coming off ACL injury and maybe being a 3rd CB?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CBA and the Dolphins...
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 31, 2010 11:49AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ronnie Brown will be an UFA if they sign a new
> deal. The problem is that his contract states that
> he will receive a 5 million bonus if no CBA is
> reached. Does the FO keep RB at that price with
> his history of injuries? He is a top 5 back when
> healthy and instrumental to the Wildcat but the
> problem is he is always on IR.
This might be the year to bite the bullet and let Ronnie go. Ricky will give us one more year, then we can address RB in FA. BP has always been of the opinion that RBs are interchangeable. I'm, also, more worried about Cobbs coming back.

>
> Other players that could be cut or traded due to
> low production and the chance to wipe the salaries
> off the books....(Miami has the 2nd highest
> payroll in the entire league.)......
>
> Ted Ginn Jr.
I don't see us letting him go, but I wouldn't cry over it.

> Gibril Wilson
I've heard his natural position is SS, but I'm not sold on him. He's not earning his salary. He needs to go.

> Yeremiah Bell
I don't get it. I keep reading on this board how Bell isn't that good and will be replaced, on the other hand he's in the ProBowl. I like Bell, and I think his contract was appropriate.

> Joey Porter
Bye Bye!!!

> Jason Allen
Unless he'll take a lot less money as a special teams guy only, then he needs to go.

> Will Allen
Having 3 very good CBs is quite a luxury. I think we keep WA. If a trade opportunity presents itself, then we can offer him. Regardless, we need to re-sign Nate Jones as well.

> Reggie Torbor
Another guy that hasn't earned his salary. He's a backup ILB at best. I'd still like Nolan to evaluate him first, but I wouldn't keep him at his current salary. I'm really hoping we draft 2 ILBs and even bring in 1 or 2 FAs. I wouldn't mind if we cleaned house at ILB.

> Channing Crowder
Again, I'd like Nolan's input here. I think Crowder would play better at WILB (Ayodele's position), and his on-the-field mistakes (bad angles, etc..) are coach-able. Crowder has size, speed, and a nasty attitude when he wants to.

>
> The other problem is that if we cut any of these
> players, we will be hard pressed to find anyone
> better. The FA market will be very slim without a
> CBA...probably 1/4 of what it would be with a
> CBA.
In a lot of cases, we don't need to find better talent in the FA market. Jason Allen is expendable. Torbor is a backup and hasn't really lived up to his billing, so I could see him going as well. Porter WILL be gone, and I think Cam Wake will be the starter next year. Anderson did pretty well too when he got the chance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2010 11:50AM by montequi.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 01, 2010 05:58AM

Date: February 01, 2010 10:51AM

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: February 01, 2010 01:11PM

I agree with everyone on the list with the exception of Bell and Ginn. Yeah I said it Ginn.

Bell is a real good player and I just don't see why so many people are anxious to get rid of him.

As for Ginn well he is more valuable to us than just about anybody else and as long as he is not our number 1 guy I am ok with it. Unless we get some great offer then I don't see letting him go for some bs 7th round pick.

Date: February 02, 2010 10:20AM

I agree that we can afford to keep Ginn and I also like Bell but the fact is that the TE position is changing...Even setting records for NFL production. Teams are copying Indy in the way that Manning uses Dallas Clark. We have to have safeties that can cover and not just support the run and make 100 tackles.

Bell had a good year in 2008. He was making big plays even though he was still getting beat on occasion. He is 33 years old next month and the upside is disappearing quickly.

It is no secret that Bell has struggled in coverage against TE's. The fact that he made the Pro Bowl is a bit of a joke if you ask me. He is a backup replacement. Just like the top 3 QB's that were to be in the PB were Manning, Brady and Rivers and the ones actually playing are Shaub, Gerrard and Vince Young???? Gerrard and Young??? Give me a break.

Troy Polamalu and Bob Sanders are the true Pro Bowlers in the AFC but due to injury, missed the season. After them it is Brian Dawkins from Denver and a few others that are above Bell. He is great playing close to the LOS but beyond that he is average.

A look at TE production vs Miami in 2009...(LR denotes leading receiver)

Tony Gonzales 5/73/1 td LR

7 y Wilson/Ayodele
15 y Wilson
19 y Bell
20 y TD Bell
12 y Bell

Dallas Clark 7/183/1 LR

80 y TD Bell
8 y Bell
5 y Bell
20 y Bell
49 y Bell
4 y Bell
17 y Bell

Jeremy Shockey 4/105 LR

9 y Wilson
66 y Wilson
16 y Bell
14 y Bell

Now all of this can't be pointed at Bell because our LB'er are pretty bad in coverage as well as is Wilson.

Will Allen got toasted playing against Vincent Jackson for 15, 12, 8 & 55 yards.

Smith got burned for 47 to Malcomb Floyd.

Our young CB's will be fine. They were young and were able to beat out several vets for starting spots. I have never been impressed with Will Allen. He was outplayed in 2008 by Andre Goodman.

We can get by with Bell or Wilson at SS but not both. Wilson is younger and may take over for Bell who has some trade value after making the Pro Bowl. No matter who we keep, we are going to need a FS who has good speed, coverage ability and ball skills.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: February 03, 2010 03:25AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > In the words of Getty Lee...If you choose not to
> decide you still have made a choice.

While Geddy may have sung the lyrics, Neil Peart wrote them.

Some may have notice that I haven't been on here in some time. I have been too busy coaching basketball. The season is ending soon, so I will chat with you all soon enough as we prepare for the draft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2010 05:34AM by Jonathan Twilley.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 03, 2010 04:24AM

While we're issuing corrections it's GEDDY not Getty. Getty is the oil company, Geddy is the bassist extraordinaire, eh?

drinking smiley

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: February 03, 2010 05:34AM

Always hated his voice. It makes me cringe.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 03, 2010 06:53AM

Well, I didn't say *vocalist* extraordinaire, did I? grinning smiley

Date: February 03, 2010 07:27AM

I can deal with his voice as long as I don't have to look at him.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 03, 2010 11:23AM

I would certainly keep Bell. He impressed me with his speed and stopped a couple TD's because if it. I would move him to FS.

Ginn can be gone, he is another John Avery, fast but does not make any playes.

It would be wise for the owners to sign an agreement just like it would be for the players. Both sides are too selfish.

Fans should force them in a room and only let them out when agreement is made. They are crying about making millions when millions are out of work.

Date: February 03, 2010 11:33AM

Move Bell to FS? WTH?

His downfall is his coverage skills. His strength is his hard hitting run stuffing ability. How is he going to roam the field as a FS. Bad idea that will never happen. sorry.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 03, 2010 11:51AM

Porter is history, obviously.

It's been reported that Wilson already got paid all of his guaranteed money. If that's true, then he has a very good chance of being released.

Bell is one of the best players on the team and is not going anywhere. Yes, he had problems with the TE this year, but it's not all his fault. He faced a lot of the league's best TEs. And he had no help on underneath coverage from our LB corps, as they are awful in coverage. And the inconsistent pass rush killed all of our DBs.

They will likely find a trade partner for Ginn. He just doesn't fit in with the physical nature this regime wants. And they love Bess, Camarillo, and Hartline. And they're not likely to admit a mistake on Turner yet. And White will eventually have to be made a WR to have any value. Assuming they bring in a high draft pick, there won't be room for Ginn. And I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 draft picks at the position, again.

Jason Allen is overpaid. But, he still doesn't make a lot of money. And he's an excellent special teams player. And he played pretty well in the last game when Vontae got hurt. I think they keep him.

Will Allen is only in year 2 of his new contract. It would not make financial sense to release him. And with him, we'd have a really nice trio of corners. And Allen has enough size to play some FS down the road.

I don't know what to make of the Torbor situation. They have gave him starter's money, but have never give him a real shot at a starting job. He's likely to be released, but I could see him being asked back at a lower salary.

Crowder is better than Ayodele. I think we will add at least one ILB, and will cut at least one of Crowder or Ayodele. I think it's Ayodele. But, I think Crowder gets one more year to prove he can be a difference maker, and if not, then his roster spot is in jeopardy.

If they do reach a new CBA, and Ronnie becomes a free agent, that's a tough situation to assess. When healthy, Ronnie is our best all around offensive player. But, with 2 significant injuries in 3 years, how hard will this regime try to sign him? If he's gone, then a top RB becomes a major priority. Ricky is too old to carry the load. And he has no interest in being the guy to carry the load. And without Ronnie, the wildcat should be shelved, because he's the guy who makes it go.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 03, 2010 12:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.