HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Drafting Two by Two
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Drafting Two by Two
Posted by: bpa ()
Date: January 28, 2010 01:15PM

One thing about the Trifecta's drafting that I find fascinating is their doubling down on positions that they think we are weak in. Last year, when we picked up Vonte Davis, I figured we're good enough with him and Will Allen, then bam, here comes Sean Smith. I was excited that he dropped that far but amazed. I think they must think its critical to maintain competition in areas of weakness. I think, just maybe, this was helpful to Vonte's attitude. He must of felt like he was the man until the end of the 2nd round. Maybe they figure with a certain number of busts, your odds go up exponentially drafting this way. Anyway, the main pairings for those sleeping through the past two drafts were:

DE Merling/Langford (2nd and 3rd round I think)
CD Davis/Smith (1 and 2b)
WR Turner/Hartline (3 and 4)

What does this mean this year? I think we will only draft one NT because the competition with Soliai is already there, and I think that will help light a fire under him. I don't see us picking to WRs again this year. In my mind, the best candidates are LB and FS for a double down. My guess is we're going to see 2 of the first 3 rounds LB's. Thoughts?

bpa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drafting Two by Two
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 28, 2010 01:49PM

Solai is horrible. Undersized and NOT a good fit for Miami's defensive schemes. The guy isn't a good NFL player.

I think we will draft 2 NT's.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 28, 2010 02:09PM

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 28, 2010 02:19PM

I dont think SOLI is horrible. I think he's progressing.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 28, 2010 02:34PM

we will take 2 LBs early

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 28, 2010 03:12PM

Agree, its LBs. Maybe not both ILBs or OLBs, I think they still like Folsom, and will get somebody to compete with him. Maybe a NT and/or WR in the later rounds.

Rick

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 28, 2010 03:15PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MikeO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Solai is horrible. Undersized ...
>
> 6'4 345 is undersized compared to who?

MikeO must be the Jolly Green Giant or something.

Hey Mike, how are the green beans today? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 28, 2010 04:26PM

There was also the Shawn Murphy/Donald Thomas double down in 2008.

With three 6th rd picks this year, I'm sure one of those guys will be at the same position as one of the higher picks. But, it's really hard to speculate at this point. LB is the obvious position where we need the most help, so that's where I'd bet if I had to.

Soliai undersized? at 345?
According to Pro Football Focus, Soliai ranked higher against the run than Ferguson. I think he was pretty solid in most of the games. He has improved a lot since we drafted him, so it gives me hope he can continue. I think we'll go one of two routes. There are a number of veteran NT available in free agency. We could sign one of them (maybe Ferguson again) to share snaps with Soliai. Or, we could draft a young guy with more pocket collapsing ability, because that is really Soliai's major weakness.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 28, 2010 05:54PM

Mike, you are overstating again.

Soliai may not be the answer...but he is not terrible.

Ferguson started 9 games and had 23 tackles

Soliai started 5 and had 25.

Ferguson and many of the best tackle shave several years experience.

Soliai is still young. There are very few NT's who show that ability to 'anchor' in the first couple of years. They take a while to develop and they play quite a while too.

I watched Soliai get double teamed often...that's his job to force the double team.

The LB's SUCK!!! If teams had to put more energy into game planning against our LB's then the rest of the DL gets less attention.

I think they draft 2 LB's, 1 NT and 1 safety.

Vince Wilfork may be available if the Pats follow their pattern of dealing with expensive vets. They drafted Ron Brace last year and may not be willing to break the bank for Wilfork with Brace ready to take over.

That would be a huge signing and would change the draft dramatically. If we sign Wilfork?

we draft 2 LB's, 1 safety, 1 TE, 1 RB

Date: January 28, 2010 06:28PM

we're not getting wilfork. pats would never let him go to us

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 28, 2010 06:54PM

NE has a history of letting pro bowl guys walk when they are around 29 or 30 years old.

Who knows if they will continue that philosophy?

I do know that they are a declining team spinning smiley sticking its tongue out with aging players and a couple of very crappy drafts. I said this last year.

potential FA's for NE this year...some depending on CBA...

Jarvis Green (starter)
Kevin Faulk
Vince Wilfork (starter)
Ben Watson (starter)
Steven Neal (starter)
Logan Mankins (starter)
Derrick Burgess (lots of playing time)
Pierre Woods
Leigh Bodden (starter)
Steven Gostkowski (starter)
Gary Guyton (starter)

They are getting very close to rebuilding mode and bad drafts take a huge toll on a team.

So do they pay big money to a 29 year old NT? I doubt it but I would not be surprised to see them franchise him.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: bpa ()
Date: January 28, 2010 07:04PM

I think I remember Soliai commenting that he was glad that they didn't bring in a high round draft pick to compete with him last year. I think a young guy pushing gives a new and improved Soliai. From what I've read (and I would love to hear from someone who has seen something) my impression of the NT ratings are:

1. Odrick
2. Williams - Price
3. Mount Cody

I've seen some drafts that have all 4 going in the first round, but I don't believe it. One of them has got to fall to us in the second. If we can't get McClain, I sure hope we can move down, but my money would say we would have to reach for one of these guys or go for a Safety (which isn't all bad).

I know some of you guys might think I'm smoking crack, but I don't think it's impossible that we have another twofer with McClain and Spikes IF there's a run on NT.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 29, 2010 03:17AM

From a couple things I've read, Odrick isn't considered a NT. He's only about 301, and I saw one report that said he'd be used as a DE in a 3-4.

Date: January 29, 2010 04:11AM

Of course its LBs, where have you been?

Date: January 29, 2010 07:34AM

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 29, 2010 09:59AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MikeO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Solai is horrible. Undersized ...
>
> 6'4 345 is undersized compared to who?

Looks like mikeo is thinking about his girlfriends again...: smiling bouncing smileygrinning smileysmiling bouncing smiley (I kill me!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 10:00AM by Miami Reppa.

Date: January 29, 2010 04:56PM

smileys with beer haaaaaaaaahaaaaaaahaa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.