HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          mcclain
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
mcclain
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 21, 2010 01:32PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mcclain
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 21, 2010 02:35PM

He was the leader of the best defense in college football. He is 6'4 260+ pounds.

I seen a gameday special on him where he learned Nick Saban's crazy defense in 1 day. He is very, very smart. He knows every position and what there assignments are on every single play. He doesnt miss tackles. And he is an amazing leader.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 21, 2010 02:59PM

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 21, 2010 04:24PM

spikes ISN'T PROJECTED IN THE 1ST ROUND.

Date: January 21, 2010 04:27PM

THOSE WERE NOT HIGHLIGHTS. I watched many of the same games shown, that was BS.

Date: January 21, 2010 04:50PM

Date: January 21, 2010 05:33PM

Dont get me wrong realist, I'd take 'em both. But when SPIKES runs his 40, he'll drop into the 2nd round!!

Date: January 21, 2010 05:37PM

I wont be the one to dig up youtube vids of McClain, raising his stock even more.

Spikes and Mcclain; one is a field general and the other a loose cannon. Am I right?

Date: January 21, 2010 05:42PM

'I'm only here to do what I was put here to do. Everything else to me is pointless' - Rolando McClain

Date: January 21, 2010 05:54PM

I think McClain knows his stuff and does the right thing 'slightly' more than Spikes.

I think Spikes gambles and makes big plays 'slightly' more than McClain.

My fear is that Rolando is a faster Channing Crowder. I want someone who can blitz and make plays on the offensive side of the LOS.

Neither is a complete top 10 pick, but at 12? a slight reach on either is okay with me.

Date: January 21, 2010 05:58PM

Fear not- CROWDER could learn something from a rookie whos been calling the defensive plays for 3 years at Alabama. And some INSTINCTS might rub off on Channing too. 1 Gator ILB is enough thank you. eye rolling smiley

Date: January 22, 2010 05:33AM

Gators played some weak teams this year.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 22, 2010 07:43AM

Who made this McClain video? Spikes's agent? It was underwhelming, to say the least. From what I saw, what difference does it make how fast McClain is if he doesn't use it? That video shows him dogging it waaay too much, getting caught out of position frequently, blitzing poorly, and not shedding blocks very well. A very unimpressive showing, but I don't think most people (certainly not the ones that count!) make their judgments based on the strength (or, as stated in the video, lack thereof) of one 'youtube' video. At least, I hope not.

Rick

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 22, 2010 08:08AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who made this McClain video? Spikes's agent? It
> was underwhelming, to say the least. From what I
> saw, what difference does it make how fast McClain
> is if he doesn't use it? That video shows him
> dogging it waaay too much, getting caught out of
> position frequently, blitzing poorly, and not
> shedding blocks very well. A very unimpressive
> showing, but I don't think most people (certainly
> not the ones that count!) make their judgments
> based on the strength (or, as stated in the video,
> lack thereof) of one 'youtube' video. At least, I
> hope not.

After the Tedd Ginn youtube video, I take all of these with a grain of salt.

Date: January 22, 2010 08:17AM

the ted ginn youtube video get him drafted in the top 10

Date: January 22, 2010 09:20AM

I agree that the Ginn video got me excited too; but, when I think about it I can see why his production was different. In Ginn's video he has a bunch of short passes that he takes to the house...but in a spread offense once you get the ball at the second level...you are home free. In the NFL there are 3 solid levels ready to close the door.

With the McClain video...and what I observed watching the games....it is not the same thing. With Ginn it was seeing HUGE playmaking that doesn't transfer to the NFL.....With McClain...there is the absence of impact plays.

I can't imagine that going up against NFL OL, and NFL TE's is going to suddenly give him opportunities to make impact plays when he wasn't doing it in College.

Maybe he has a bunch of great hits? Stuffing the Back at the LOS ? But I have yet to see any of that.

What I see is a very smart guy who also possesses the physical tools to play LB. I see a guy who makes smart reads and gets to the right place and makes the safe tackle.

I haven't seen the nasty attitude, the 'bat-outta-hell' blitzing, the hitting a guy so hard that he needs to get off the field for a play or two, type thing.

Neither guy is Ray Lewis....but I think Spikes has more of that in him than McClain.

Anyone with video links that prove me wrong? I would love to see it. I was high on McClain until I watched the BCS Championship...now I am hopeful for him...but not convinced.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 22, 2010 09:49AM

If thats the case then we need to grab a WR or NT

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 22, 2010 10:14AM

No. That is the worst video I have ever seen.

He is the only LB in the country (or ever for that matter) to run down Tim Tebow from behind.

He makes impact plays in every game. Just because they are not on 1 horrible youtube clip doesnt mean a thing.

If I am right, I believe Realist lives in Canada or the North East somewhere, so I doubt he has seen few if any Alabama games.

DONT JUDGE MCCLAIN ON THIS HORRENDOUS VIDEO!!

---------------------

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 22, 2010 10:35AM

I think McClain actually suffers from being on such a good defense. He has a lot of talent around him, so he doesn't stand out as much as he would on a lesser team. The same applied to Henne at Michigan, which is what dropped him to the 2nd round.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 22, 2010 11:33AM

gotta love his size though...and i'm sure so will the trifecta

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 22, 2010 04:01PM

I do live in Canada....we get cable up here...and I climbed up on the igloo and installed a dish...so I do see College games;-)

And like I said I specifically watched the BCS game so I could study him.

SO after watching THAT whole game, plus the few other games, plus ALL the internet searching I could find.....I haven't seen any plays that match Spikes handful.

Surely there was a camera rolling for some of those impact plays you mentioned.

Spikes meets the RB at the LOS on a Goal Line stand and stopped the TD. Spikes shed an OL by throwing him to the ground and then drops the shoulder into the FB and stops his progress dead for a loss. THOSE are the impact plays I mean.

I am less interested in an LB who makes the right read and waits for the back to come through the hole and then tackles him after a 3-4 yard gain.

Date: January 22, 2010 05:21PM

I have followed the guy since he was a senior at Decatur High School in Decatur Alabama. He was ranked #35 overall coming out of highschool and has been a stud since day 1.

Nick Saban (who whether we hate him or not, which I do) called McClain the best defensive player he has ever coached.

---------------------

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 22, 2010 05:39PM

Date: January 22, 2010 05:42PM

Im never down for giving up picks for a player....I agree, Phinsfan.

If anything, its better to trade down and accumulate picks.

---------------------

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 22, 2010 09:45PM

So am I, but not in the first round.

Rick

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: January 23, 2010 09:04AM

I have seen some video of McClain, not much, but I can say that I am a little concerend that I have not seen him "run through" a player during a tackle.

I do not know anything about his stats. What about upper body strength and quickness?

So far I see alot of arm tackling.

The key to our progress forward is to get a nasty & physical defense. Are we really taking a non biased look at McClain?

He may have a decent NFL career, but is he really going to be a tackling machine? Will he be tackling behind the LOS in the NFL?

Date: January 23, 2010 10:25AM

Well, the bottom line is, if Brandon Spikes was a better NFL prospect he would have a higher draft grade. McClain is graded out as a top 10 player which is amazing for a MLB. Spikes has a 2nd round grade. Big difference there.

---------------------

Date: January 23, 2010 10:39AM

A and O since you seem to be his biggest supporter and watch him a lot, has he made a lot of game changing plays at the college level (ints, sacks, big hits, tackles for losses, FFs)? Or just a lot of Croweder like tackles 3-6 yards down field?

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 23, 2010 10:53AM

Wow this board is really changing. Lots of independent thinkers... I love it.

Mcclain has benefited from being the "most recognised/draft eligable" player on the best team in the nation. Is he the best ILB in the nation? I dont think so, however he could possibly be amongst the best in this years class (time will tell).

what i hate about the draft is your stock is dependent on how well your team does. For ex. Taylor mays (USC) at 6'3'' 230 was a freakish free safety that could knock you into yesterday, and if he came out last year he was garunteed a top 5 selection and possibly could have gone as high as #2. This year he may fall out of the first round. Infact not only is he not the "best safety" any more he may not even be drafted as a safety (possibly moved to OLB ). i would think that another year in college would make him a better individual player, so why the drastic fall in stock?

I will tell you, last year USC goes 12-1 this year a bismal 9-4 (by USC standing). In college your draft stock is directly correlated to how well your team does. Ask your self this, if bama went 5-7 and did not make a bowl are we still talking about mcclain as a possible top 10 prospect? I dont think so, this is why I really dont get so caught up in the hype...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2010 10:59AM by Miami Reppa.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 23, 2010 10:55AM

In my opinion guys that I really put value in are guys that are on teams that finish around 500 and are still a top prospect. This means that they are on average teams and my not get the same national exposure but their individual talent is still recognised...

Hyped up guys on great teams I take with a grain of salt and actual watch them play on film with a critical eye.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.