HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          At least 8 positions...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
At least 8 positions...
Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: January 18, 2010 03:34PM

...need to improve greatly before we're getting anywhere near the playoffs, and contend seriously.

#1 WR - Obvious
NT/DT - better run stuffing and pass rush
ILB - currently weak block shedders and coverage
OLB - currently ineffective pressure
RB - Ronnie is iffy to complete a year/Ricky looked tired and uninspired toward the end of the year.
TE - not producing enough
FS - need a hitter and ball hawk, stays on top

Now weather we draft or FA these positions will remain to be seen.
I really think we're at least 2 years out to adequately improve those spots. Half this year, the rest the next.

It's all up to the FO.
Please no more Ted Ginn/Pat White picks.
We can't afford to blow our precious early picks anymore.
Is it any wonder why it has taken so long for this team to evlove into a serious contender?
Come on Ireland! We're counting on you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: At least 8 positions...
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 18, 2010 03:54PM

remove RB and TE off your list.

The guys we have now are good enough and not top priorities. They can wait

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 18, 2010 04:13PM

Agreed. Bring in a legit #1 WR and watch everyone's production improve.

The TE will benefit the most from having a guy who can stretch the field and quality WR's all over the field.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 18, 2010 04:14PM

#1 WR - None available as unrestricted free agents. This team is not going to part with draft picks for free agents or in trades. There are too many other needs to fill to be giving up picks. If McClain is gone, they will look long and hard at Dez Bryant at #12. If McClain is available at #12, look for us to take a WR in round 2. This is a potentially excellent draft for big WR, and with all the underclassmen declaring, there should be good depth in round 2.

NT- I actually think Paul Soliai did a very good job against the run. I don't think our run defense issues were related to Ferguson's injury as much as they were due to horrid ILB play. There are other veteran NT available in free agency.

ILB- major priority. I think McClain is the pick at #12 if available. And I think you could see another one in later rounds. I'd guess Crowder gets a chance to prove himself at the Ted position, but his days as the Mike are over.

OLB - Cam Wake is one potential answer. If you dump Porter, it opens up the weakside OLB spot for Wake. He'd have less to worry about with run defense and pass coverage on that side. Bring back JT as a role player. And another young player needs to be drafted fairly high (first 4 rounds). Reggie Torbor was an OLB in NY. Maybe he could help.

RB - Ronnie may be a free agent or not, depending on what happens with the CBA. Without him, this becomes a huge priority. With him, it probably gets pushed to the back burner for another year. A lot depends on what the team thinks of Lex Hilliard and Kory Sheets. If Ronnie is back, then a group of Ronnie, Ricky, Hilliard, Sheets, and Cobbs is not likely to be addressed as a 2010 need. Don't dismiss Sheets. He was a great back at Purdue.

TE - Fasano is a free agent and looking for a big pay day. He's likely to be a restricted free agent, so he's likely to be disappointed. Still, I think one of our high picks will be a TE.

FS - Gibril Wilson was a good FS with NY. He may get another year to prove himself. Plus, his guaranteed money has all been paid, so he can be cut in the future, even during a capped year, without a financial impact. Maybe he gets cut, and we go after someone else in free agency. With other, bigger needs, I don't think this gets addressed in the draft.

In the first 4 rounds, I expect us to get an ILB, OLB, WR, and TE. And I think we'll get a veteran NT in free agency.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 04:18PM by dolfanmark.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 18, 2010 04:45PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reggie Torbor was an OLB in NY. Maybe he could
> help.
He was an OLB in a 4-3, just like Crowder. Doesn't qualify him as an OLB in a 3-4. On the other hand, Anderson played very well at OLB. I think we try Wake, Anderson, and JT at OLB and pick up someone else. We may be able to get a decent SOLB (ala Matt Roth) in the later rounds of the draft or free agency. When Wake and Anderson can tag-team at WOLB.

Date: January 18, 2010 04:51PM

agree with that assessment.

The LB play is crucial. If we have better ILB's the NT play is improved by virtue of teams having to be more selective about double teaming the NT and letting a back pick-up the LB.

Improved ILB helps the OLB's, for the same reasons it helps the NT.

AND.....If the OLB, ILB, and NT are playing better? That equals a better pass rush...which...helps the FS.

I thought Gibril Wilson played poorly and bit on the fake, or messed up his coverage. But every week that happens in the NFL. Sometimes the QB hits the open WR...sometimes the QB is running for his life and throws away or gets sacked....and sometimes...the QB throws the ball but gets a LB in the chest and the ball gets picked off by a guy who was in the wrong place at the right time.

LB's are the key positions to upgrade in the off-season.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 18, 2010 05:02PM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 18, 2010 05:08PM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 18, 2010 05:09PM

With no LB's and no WR's to speak of on our roster, we can live with Haynos at TE and Fassano (there will be no cap and he isn't going anywhere).

TE is not a crucial position and with so many holes to fill, TE is on the bottom of the priority list.

Date: January 18, 2010 05:11PM

MikeO Wrote:
> With no LB's and no WR's to speak of on our
> roster, we can live with Haynos at TE and Fassano
> (there will be no cap and he isn't going
> anywhere).
>
> TE is not a crucial position and with so many
> holes to fill, TE is on the bottom of the priority
> list.

Haynos is garbage. He's just a big guy to throw to, but not much else. As for WR, I think we can "get by" with who we have if our defense improves and all our RBs come back.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 18, 2010 06:51PM

RB is a question mark. Ricky likely won't repeat, Brown who knows what we can expect, the others are backups. Hopefully Sheets turns out to be a find

Date: January 19, 2010 01:58AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> RB is a question mark. Ricky likely won't repeat,
> Brown who knows what we can expect, the others are
> backups. Hopefully Sheets turns out to be a find

What gives you the impression Ricky can't repeat his performance this past year? He's done it every year of his career that he's been in the NFL (and not injured).

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 19, 2010 01:11PM

montequi Wrote:
> jlyell13 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > RB is a question mark. Ricky likely won't
> repeat,
> > Brown who knows what we can expect, the others
> are
> > backups. Hopefully Sheets turns out to be a
> find
>
>
> What gives you the impression Ricky can't repeat
> his performance this past year? He's done it
> every year of his career that he's been in the NFL
> (and not injured).

He'll be another year older, faded badly down the stretch (including all those fumbles), and the track record of old running backs.

Date: January 19, 2010 02:19PM

Garbage? I think that's an overstatement.

On a team with no #1 WR, with teams dropping a safety in the short middle...TE's will struggle.

Haynos had 19 catches; 13 1st downs, and 2 TD's...that means he 4 catches that were NOT impact plays.... as a #2 TE..that is very good. He improved quite a bit in his 2nd year.

He is 25 years old, and just finished his 2nd year in the NFL. They obviously saw something in him in training camp that allowed him to beat out Nalbone...and to get playing time both as a blocker and as a pass target.

I don't know if he would ever become a #1 TE, but he has height, size and hands and a track record of improving with time & opportunity. I would not be surprised to see them use him a lot more.

A #1WR will open things up for all of our TE's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.