HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jets and you play to win the game
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Jets and you play to win the game
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 17, 2010 05:32PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jets and you play to win the game
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 18, 2010 03:16AM

You have to factor in that the jets have a superior running attack and that the Chargers would be expecting the run, so, you have an advantage by going for it. The run may have been sucessful but, the pass would also give you the element of surprise. It would have been a long field goal attempt which Feeley probably would have made.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 18, 2010 05:13AM

I agree that scoring the FG would be the best outcome. the ball was on the SD 29...so distance is not an issue.

But of the 3 scenarios it holds the most risk. A FG has a higher chance of being unsuccessful than a punt or a run.

On the run you have the snap, the hand-off, and a reasonable chance of making 2 yards. It could be stopped and the opponent get the ball there ( in this example SD gets the ball on their own 29)

The Punt you have the snap and the kick. Blocks are rare; and while big returns are possible, a sideline punt is generally effective at limiting the return. ( The punt guarantees that SD gets the ball, but it could be anywhere between the 1 and 20 yd line) No chance of scoring or maintaining possession.

The FG you have the snap, the hold, the kick. FG's are blocked/deflected more than punts, FG's are missed by kickers more than punts. A missed FG gives the Chargers the ball at their own 45. A successful FG does not guarantee victory...it does forces the other team to score a TD; however, that also means that it ALLOWS them to win with a TD.

SO, the options on the risk side are:

1)run and giving them the ball at the 29 with the chance of keeping possession

2)punt and give them the ball at the 20 with no chance of possession

3) FG and give them the ball at the 45 , with a chance of kicking them the ball up by 6 rather than 3.

Option 1 keeps the ball in my hands and ends the game if successful. And if it is stopped? A long field to defend. It was the right call.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 18, 2010 06:04AM

As Realist stated, it was the right call. You have to factor in the success the Jets were having with the run. If you saw the play, then you saw the GREAT line surge the Jets had. Instead of playing the "Odds" they played the hearts of their players.
Right call and the outcome proves it.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 18, 2010 06:59AM

The Jets suck.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 18, 2010 08:04AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 18, 2010 08:20AM

Leon, just because it worked does not make it the right call...depending on how you look at the situation.

If it's me I take the three points and let my defense play. If you run and for some reason don't get the first down you have effectively given the other team a very short field of 41 yards or so with a chance for the tie.

The only time I go for it on fourth and one in that situation is if I am the Chargers and have to in order to stay in the game. Other than that if I am the team thats leading, I always take the points.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.