HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Grice Mullen
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Grice Mullen
Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: January 08, 2010 05:17PM

Nobody seems too excited about this guy, but I can tell you I am!

This guy will make the team! I promise you!

If you like Devone Bess!, you will love Grice-Mullen!

AND,,,,if the Phins were smart, they would invite Jason Rivers to try out this off season!

Remember Duper and Clayton!!! Well Bess, Mullen and Rivers are very similar builds!

I am telling you that Bess has the potential to turn into the #1 we have been looking for , with Mullen opposite him...

you guys watch and see,.,,,,

AND, to be honest, Rivers is better than both of them...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grice Mullen
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 08, 2010 05:23PM

I like him and Jason Rivers, but we need a big quick WR with hands. Hopefully Ginn works on his strength in the offseason

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 08, 2010 05:38PM

Ah yes...They're known as the Dread Heads.

I'm very excited about RGM reuniting with Bess. Great hands. Rivers is a gamer too and would also be an asset to this team.

So here's what the Phins need to do next...Get rid of Pat White, and then snag Colt Brennan away from the Redskins before Shanahan gets to toy with him.

Brennan has a chemistry with these receivers that is just totally insane.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 08, 2010 06:16PM

who the hell is that?

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 08, 2010 06:33PM

Date: January 08, 2010 10:47PM

Who the hell?

These three receivers enabled their QB to establish 31 NCAA passing records.

History. There's always a beginning to it.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 09, 2010 03:09AM

Brennan is a punk

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: January 09, 2010 05:37AM

This is the way that the Parcells regime would prefer to build the WR position.

In Dallas they drafted Crayton in the 7th round and developed him into a productive receiver.

Even more impressive is the undrafted Austin Miles. He did absolutely nothing for 3 years and then exploded this year with 81 rec/, 1320 yards, 11 TD's.

Expect them to do the same here...find raw talent and develop it. They will always take that 5th WR and try to Troy Brown it.

This also means that Patrick Turner could end up being a keeper. We will know in 3 years.

Date: January 09, 2010 05:44AM

But I don't wanna wait 3 years! wah!!

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 09, 2010 05:59AM

Bess is too slow to become our #1. He ran in the 4.7 range.

Now Grice Mullen ran 4.33. If he can develop his route running skills he 'could' become a Steve Smith type player....but at 5'10" 174...he will be a long shot to become a #1 guy.

I think they have PR in mind.

Date: January 09, 2010 06:34AM

Date: January 09, 2010 06:49AM

this reminds me of that QB from GA Southern everyone was so excited about a few years back. I forget his name. Which I guess is kind of the point.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: January 09, 2010 12:58PM

You guys are a bit over the top about these guys. If they are so great why didn't they get signed and put on the field before?

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 09, 2010 01:37PM

Why didn't they get signed? Same reason Welker didn't get signed.

Look guys, it's about the offensive line, the running backs, and a QB that is accruate and can be the general. Receivers will work out if the rest falls in place.

Now don't get to excited about this. Sure I want that true #1 WR. But before that, we need to keep building. Inside line backer. Depth on defense, Depth in the OL. We have plenty at QB. We need some new blood at RB but. That doesn't mean we go for it in the first 3 rounds. We need WR but don't sell the farm on it.

Ol, DL, ILB, S. Go for that.smileys with beer

Date: January 09, 2010 01:55PM

Date: January 09, 2010 07:10PM

A few things....

First, I'd like to know...What makes Colt Brennan a punk?

He's all about the team, and the fans. He bonds with his teammates and and motivates them. Sure, he's got moxie, but that's a good thing, isn't it? He sacrificed making potential millions by not entering the draft after his junior year because he didn't want to let his team & the fans down, and then he ends up getting the shaft for that. I would take Brennan over White in a heartbeat, there's no comparison of the passing skill level between the two. How White was a 2nd Rounder is beyond my belief.

Next...Yes, these receivers aren't tall, so they don't draw that attention. They're not considered to be the #1 type in today's NFL, but they're suitable for the slot and such. They do have good hands. They came from a pass happy Run 'N Shoot offense in college; they all caught a hell of a lot of passes and have a substantial amount of YAC.

Finally, IMO, these players were shunned primarily because of the conference they played in, and of course, height is another consideration.

Here's what I suggest to anyone who wants to criticize any of these guys -

GOOGLE their names. There's lots of video on youtube of these players. It's not about being over the top on them, it's more so that being educated about them a bit makes it easier to accept them without too many worries.

I have loved this team so much for decades, so much that I hate it. You all know what I mean...So much suffering for so long. I totally agree with Leon In Denver as to what course to steer at the present for the near future.

Date: January 09, 2010 08:04PM

Firstly, there are no "for sures" in life....

Mullen I can assure you will be a gamer as was Bess, and will turn heads.
He is the real deal!
I predict he makes the team!

Also:

Rivers has NOT been signed by the Phins, but I am hoping that since he is temporarily out of football, that they give him a shot,,,,,

Having Bess, Mullen and Rivers on the field at the same time would be quite awesome! Something special!

If Bess has blossomed to the point of being our #1, then the other two would be very good additions....

As for Colt Brennan:

I used to think he was a superstar.....But, I think it was the 3 amigo receivers that made hime look great! WE now have 2 of them,,,,one more to go....

Pat White was a wasted pick....Colt Brennan is a HUGE upgrade over White....that's for sure

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 10, 2010 08:16AM

It would not be something special. It would mean our WR corp is the worst in the NFL.

Just because they are good in College under a certain system doesnt mean they will be good in the NFL.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 10, 2010 10:31AM

Anyone who has read my post back in 07 (those great hawaii days) knows that I was a HUGE fan of the brennan, bess, mullen, and rivers offense. That being said I dont think that having all of them would work in the NFL and here is why.

Bess is a slot guy (not a #1). Reason is he a slot guy is because he has great hands, great quickness and VERY smart and qb friendly. The #1 guy has to be able to stretch the field and as pointed out a 4.7 guy probably cant do that on a consistent basis.

Grice-mullen- very electric, this guy did it all and was the unsung hero at hawaii. In the NFL I think his place should be special teams. I dont like bess returning punts, he does not have the speed to be a real threat. However I know mullen would be great for field position. Also he has speed so he can compete for the #1 (I dont think he would beat out ginn)- he also has quickness and could compete for the slot with bess (so two warrior competing for the same spot)

Rivers- He has great size but not great speed. Maybe he could be a #2 (guy that goes across the middle of the field and moves the chains) However his finally year at hawaii he (Jason Rivers) was supposed to be the featured reciever but was drowned out by both bess and mullen. I am not sold on rivers.

Colt Brennan- The real deal... something like 26 college passing records! NUFF SAID!

Date: January 10, 2010 10:43AM

summary

Bess- top slot reciever (reppa called it way back when)
Rivers- Dont know if he will pan out to be a good #2 (time will tell)
Mullen- has the speed but I dont think he has the strength and awareness to be a true #1

Colt Brennan- give the man a chance, he is the next romo (undrafted probowler)

Date: January 10, 2010 11:11AM

Date: January 10, 2010 01:37PM

Date: January 10, 2010 02:51PM

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 11, 2010 05:36AM

Thats what she said...

Date: January 11, 2010 06:42AM

Date: January 11, 2010 10:19AM

AAHHH mr. phin2 lookslike you had a good nights sleep, got your thinking cap on, very good so lets see... where should the reppa begin...

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
>
> Ok, so as of two years ago he held 30 div 1
> passing records. And two years ago I weighed 15
> lbs less than I do today and had all of my hair.
>
wow sounds like a personal problem, i hope that you are married because based on the transformation that you have just described to me i think you may struggle a bit a this point with the ladies...

> >
> > > But if even if he did, that means nothing in
> > the
> > > NFL:
> > >
> > > Of the top 30 guys in the following
> categories
> > > (Brennan is in the top 30 in most of these)
> only
> > a
> > > couple have been good or great NFL QB's.
> >
> > I will tell you the problem with your argument.
>
> > How many QB's on this list actually got a real
> > chance to start on an NFL team? Not many so let
> me
> > counter that.
>
>
> So your arguement is that they didn't succeed in
> the NFL because the NFL didn't give ANY of them a
> shot?

Nope never said that, look above. My point is that the higher you are drafted at any position (especially qb, since you have more accoutability) you have to give them more opportunities at success, perfect example is joey harrington and david carr- do you think that if me and you were undrafted qb's on the lions and texans that we would have had 5 years to stink up the joint? do you think that we would even be rookie starters? Let me rephrase this a different way- have you ever heard of a rookie starter that was not a first round draft pick? Why is that? because initially it is not about NFL talent it is about recognition. If brady is so good then why was he not a rookie starter? Infact brady would have been cut by that pats if not for a preseason injury to one of the pats qb's.

My point has mutated to if you are deemed by the experts to have talent you go in the first or second round and you are given more opportunity. If you are go later then you are given less opportunity. You say if you have talent the NFL will find you, how can you say that all of the talent has been found when you have no idea how many you are looking for (if that is to deep just let it maranaide a sec i can explain later). The reality is probowl caliber talent go undrafted, future HOF never get a chance to play on an nfl team and get cut. This is evident everytime people find a shannon sharp in the last round of the draft.

My initial point is colt brennan is the truth. I do agree with you that this cannot be supported by college acalades. However I think that it is rather intuitive to prefer a college qb that throws 60 times per game over on the only throws 25-30 per game. I dont care where they play. In other words the averge qb (30 balls per game lets say) will take 2 years to throw as many game balls as colt has thrown in 1 or 8 years to equal colts work in 4. Colt and other guys from these systems are more accurate because they have more live game experience. Why would you not want to play them?

> That's like saying I never got a chance to be a
> world reknown brain surgeon because nobody would
> let me cut open their head despite the fact that
> when I was a kid I kicked everyone in my
> neighborhoods ass playing "operation".
>

This line is a classic. you seem to keep coming up with them, reading it I thought that you were going to say something like: thats like saying I never got a chance to date a super model despite the fact that i play with barbie dolls smiling bouncing smileygrinning smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: January 11, 2010 10:43AM

Sometimes, Reppa, you make some good points. This, hoever, isn't one of them.

Brennan isn't one of these players that never got noticed. He WAS drafted and has had playing time in a couple pre-season games. And with that exposure, he hasn't been able to beat out the players ahead of him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he even dressed out on Sundays this year which means he can't even make third string QB on a BAD team.

...and I AM a world reknown brain surgeon that only dates super models! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 10:44AM by GBOFinFan.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 11, 2010 11:20AM

GBOFinFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...and I AM a world reknown brain surgeon that
> only dates super models! grinning smiley

Cool! How do you find the time to watch Phins games? smoking smiley

Date: January 11, 2010 11:45AM

GBOFinFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometimes, Reppa, you make some good points. This,
> hoever, isn't one of them.
>
> Brennan isn't one of these players that never got
> noticed. He WAS drafted and has had playing time
> in a couple pre-season games. And with that
> exposure, he hasn't been able to beat out the
> players ahead of him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
> I don't think he even dressed out on Sundays this
> year which means he can't even make third string
> QB on a BAD team.
>
> ...and I AM a world reknown brain surgeon that
> only dates super models! grinning smiley

yes, relative to qb's which are unfortunately labled as fun and gun qb's he has alot of exposure you are right. he has benefited from guys before him. As far as dressing on sundays brennan got alot of playing time in preseason and was rumored to take over campbells job sometime during this season. however he was injured on the second to last play of the last preseason game. I think it was a hip injury and he was placed on IR. That means that he was done for the season before it even started.

I would like to point out that your comment about "I don't think he even dressed out on Sundays this year which means he can't even make third string QB on a BAD team" is how people generalize any guy that doesnt break out without really knowing the circumstances, so they attribute it to he must be a bum.

and yes i also wouldnt mind gettin brain from a supermodel... cool smiley

Date: January 11, 2010 04:03PM

Is Colt Brennan even available? Isn't he under contract with the redskins?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.